Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 08:42 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
most of us don't have basements...
So true. Interior bathroom or under stairwells are good places to hang out during a warning (cramped tho they may be!).

I head to my guest half-bath, wh/ does not have a tub to hunker down in, but at least there is a place to sit, hee hee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happehart View Post
Really strong wind and some thunder just passed here in Ballantyne. A friend called from Atlanta and they had couple hours of rain is the early evening. Hope we get a little rain here, we sure could use some water to cool off this past week heat.
Agree! The heat has been uncomfortable - especially for this early in the season. I was in the mountains part of the week and it was unseasonably warm up there, too . . .

Old 05-26-2011, 08:45 PM

1,661 posts, read 3,288,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
... Stay alert - keep that weather radio on.
Indeed. This is also a great way to watch the storm. You can select different options of things to show. It's in real time and will indicate all warnings on the map.

WunderMap Interactive Radar & Weather Stations : Weather Underground

Old 05-26-2011, 08:51 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,158,193 times
Quote:
Possible tornado on ground, heading from Gastonia/Belmont area. Concern for path heading towards Charlotte or towards UNC-C campus - especially if folks are getting in their cars and heading North (after Speed Street, for ex).

Gonna be crossing 85 in a few minutes.

Pls contact any friends/family who are outside. There appears to be a wall cloud; this could be very serious.

Text your friends and get 'em moving indoors to safety.

TORNADO WARNING MEANS a tornado has been spotted or is in formation. This is not a WATCH - it is a WARNING.
Holy **** that was scary...

Old 05-26-2011, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
Indeed. This is also a great way to watch the storm. You can select different options of things to show. It's in real time and will indicate all warnings on the map.

WunderMap Interactive Radar & Weather Stations : Weather Underground
Agree! I like using that site, too.

Here is the one I am watching right now (NOAA)

National Weather Service radar from Greer, SC

Old 05-26-2011, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Holy **** that was scary...
Well . . . weather is something that shouldn't scare us - as long as we are aware and can take precaution - but when they said the airport had lost power in some part of the complex, I gotta tell ya - that worried me . . .

And then I started thinking about the campers/RVs at the race track . . .

Old 05-26-2011, 09:07 PM

10,007 posts, read 11,158,193 times
Quote:
Well . . . weather is something that shouldn't scare us - as long as we are aware and can take precaution - but when they said the airport had lost power in some part of the complex, I gotta tell ya - that worried me . . .

And then I started thinking about the campers/RVs at the race track . . .
Yea ..well you weren't in Mt. Holly with 80 mile an hour straight line winds and a hook echo and confirmed tornado on the ground coming right at ya....fortunately I think the tornado was short lived, but sorry ani a tornado SHOULD scare us as it can change your life in a nanosecond.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Yea ..well you weren't in Mt. Holly with 80 mile an hour straight line winds and a hook echo and confirmed tornado on the ground coming right at ya....fortunately I think the tornado was short lived, but sorry ani a tornado SHOULD scare us as it can change your life in a nanosecond.

Yeah, that would spur most folks to action, lol. And didn't mean to minimize the sheer fright one can feel at such a time. I have been through soooooo many tornado warnings while living in Kansas - my thing is - just take every warning seriously - take immediate action - and that's all a person can do.

But didn't mean to sound callous about fearing what can occur when caught up in a quickly escalating weather situation with a possible tornado heading straight at you. Not a good feeling at all.

Old 05-26-2011, 09:15 PM

151 posts, read 193,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yantosh22 View Post
the tornado warning has been canceled.
WOLF....Wolf....wolf!!!

Old 05-26-2011, 09:17 PM

2,445 posts, read 7,452,390 times
Friends in Gaston county are reporting damage on facebook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte