Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 09:11 PM

140 posts, read 590,312 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snuggles23 View Post
Real estate agents are often maligned for their work. A big part of the problem is that most people think they know a lot about real estate, even if they don't. They may be a stock broker, or plumber by trade, but think they know more about real estate than the professionals. Another problem is that buyers often act like the real estate agent only has them as their sole customer. The buyers get mad if you can't meet with them exactly when they want to, even though you already have customers scheduled for that time. I used to sell real estate many years ago, so I know a lot about this. It is very hard for a residential real estate agent to make a good living. Most residential real estate agents are divorced or soon to be divorced. They spend so much time away from their spouses and children so that they can drag buyers to see way too many houses. When I was in the business, agents always said "Buyers are liars" and it was true. Buyers always lied about what they would or could pay. They lied about their time frame so that you would make them a priority, when they would later tell you they were going to wait awhile before buying. Meanwhile, you don't get paid a dime for your time or expenses. They lied about their schedules. They would say they couldn't get off of work during the day to look at houses, but they would get off of work for any other little thing (like meeting the window blind guy at the house). They would even schedule their evening appointments to begin an hour later so that they could eat supper. While it put you an hour later getting home to your spouse and family. Anyway, thank god I don't have to sell houses anymore and I hope I don't ever have to do it again. Before you judge real estate agents, you ought to walk a few years in their shoes. You will be underpaid, won't be recognized by your children anymore, and will be getting a divorce.
Well, since the majority of people on this forum are buyers seeking to relocate, we have all been typecast as"buyers are liars". I do not take any offense to this, reading through your post I see you must have alot going on in your life, not all pleasant. I am glad you have found another line of work, clearly being a realtor was not for you. I hope you are much happier now good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2007, 10:02 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oyabun View Post
Im trying to buy a home in the Charlotte/Pineville/Gastonia area so my lender put me with a guy who seemed pretty good, and now I'm having to jump through hoops to get my earnest money back after no one responded to my offer after a week. I originally was trying to get a home in the Greenville/Spartanburg area but my agent then was acting like a seller's agent pushing badly priced homes or sounding like the seller's agents arguments on houses I wanted to put in an offer on. Since he talked me out of every house I wanted I said to hell with it and him and the area then 30 minutes after I tell him Im looking elsewhere he comes back with a different story about how such and such seller's agent called him with a totally different take on things- basically wanting to get an offer.
I'm guessing he wanted me to put in the highest possible offer so he could make the best commission.
I have family in the business so I know everyone isn't sleazy or incompetent or whatever it is but wth is the deal with finding a good BUYER'S agent? I'm totally disgusted.

Now I feel strange about putting anymore offers out there without getting my earnest money back. I'm guessing I'm going to have to call my agent's Broker and complain then call the NC Realtors board just to get these jerks to give me my damn money back. Is this common?
unfortunately a "good" real estate person may be a bad human being.
with real estate its all about impression management. better to do business with people that happen to be real estate agents than foremost real estate agents.
you will need to use your instincts on this one. look for early boundary violations. when i get the bait and switch or when they do not respect my wishes as to what i want to see---
i drop them very fast. its a lot like dating, it takes a few dates to see whether you are dating a compulsive or a liar, regardless of their appearance or credentials. but having said all that you must drop bad relationships b4 they go to something really damaging.

stephen s
san diego,ca
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte