Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2011, 12:29 PM

999 posts, read 4,652,634 times

Advertisements

I know about the white water center, but I am looking to see where else there is decent rafting that doesn't take 5 hours to get to from Charlotte. Interested in organized rafting outfitters. I realize some will be better different seasons etc, we're not looking at going tomorrow or anything!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 12:44 PM

569 posts, read 1,409,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joanchris2000 View Post
I know about the white water center, but I am looking to see where else there is decent rafting that doesn't take 5 hours to get to from Charlotte. Interested in organized rafting outfitters. I realize some will be better different seasons etc, we're not looking at going tomorrow or anything!

Thanks!

The NOC handles the Nanty river which is a good 3 hours from CLT. Most rafting that is decent is going to be a 3-5 hour drive since a lot of it is in Tennessee and W. Virginia. You might have better luck posting this on a local paddling forum such as MRP Online III • Index page

Old 07-19-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Native 1 View Post
The NOC handles the Nanty river which is a good 3 hours from CLT. Most rafting that is decent is going to be a 3-5 hour drive since a lot of it is in Tennessee and W. Virginia. You might have better luck posting this on a local paddling forum such as MRP Online III • Index page
Thanks. I tried calling the Whitewater center, and they require you to purchase an "all sport pass" to just do rafting. Seems silly they won't allow just rafting, while they sell passes for most other things singly. I just want to raft with my daughter, I did it at about her age and thought it would be fun later this summer or in the spring.

Old 07-19-2011, 01:15 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,195,444 times
Just buy the allsport and do some other stuff too! It isn't as expensive as rafting and traveling, not by a long shot.

Old 07-19-2011, 02:29 PM

972 posts, read 2,443,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joanchris2000 View Post
Thanks. I tried calling the Whitewater center, and they require you to purchase an "all sport pass" to just do rafting. Seems silly they won't allow just rafting, while they sell passes for most other things singly. I just want to raft with my daughter, I did it at about her age and thought it would be fun later this summer or in the spring.
The NOC is a company with outposts on many rivers within four hours of here. The Nantahala is a fun little river just on the other side of Bryson City. There are tons of rafting companies that operate on that section - most of which also have camp sites as part of the package. We take our kids down the Nantahala often, usually in two man duckies. For a novice paddler, I would recommend a guided trip.

The NOC also has a really fun family oriented longer trip with guides down a section of the Chattooga. If you call their number, the operators are always nice about explaining all the different trips, options, add-ons, etc. (http://www.noc.com/)

Old 07-19-2011, 04:21 PM

1,661 posts, read 3,288,477 times
The NC mountains, where there is plenty of rafting, are not 5 hours away. It's more like 2-2.5. Certainly doable in a day trip though I recommend spending the night if you don't want to be rushed.

My preference for a kid however would be to go tubing on the New River. Do a search on that and NC.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Just buy the allsport and do some other stuff too! It isn't as expensive as rafting and traveling, not by a long shot.
While I'd love to do lots of the other stuff I have a bad knee and that rules out a lot...even now I've got "tennis elbow" which is why I'm not interested in doing something right away....need to heal the body first.
I'd love to do a whole half day river rafting trip and make it a real experience to remember. I rafted in Colorado as a kid, just once, but it was something I'll always remember. Even if my daughter never goes again, I want it to be a thing she'll remember.

Thanks for the other suggestions, I'll look into them.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:57 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,195,444 times
Well if it's a one and done thing I'd definitely recommend something more than the whitewater center. Sorry to hear about your injuries...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte