Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2011, 12:50 PM

5 posts, read 12,295 times

Advertisements

Hi! We are relocating, specifically my office will be in 28227, Rushmore Drive. Moving end of August & my husband and I have 2 children in middle school as well as a 1 yr old. Really need some sound advice on best areas to live with children, including good school clusters. I've read a lot of comments about Fort Mill, Matthews, Weddington, etc but would like to really narrow it down. Also read the Fort Mills schools had an enrollment freeze, but that thread was from 2006 so not sure how accurate that info is. Also want to consider easiest commutes.. definitely don't want to spend more than 20-30 min TOPS commuting. How do these areas compare as far as traffic, crime, schools, etc?

Will also need resources for childcare and headhunter/recruiters for my husband. He is in the IT field and has a masters degree in Information Systems, looking for a systems analyst or IT manager type of position. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!! Also please feel free to email me ktsumnercl@gmail.com

THanks!!!

Last edited by ktsumnercl; 07-17-2011 at 01:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 02:26 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,684,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktsumnercl View Post
Hi! We are relocating, specifically my office will be in 28227, Rushmore Drive. Moving end of August & my husband and I have 2 children in middle school as well as a 1 yr old. Really need some sound advice on best areas to live with children, including good school clusters. I've read a lot of comments about Fort Mill, Matthews, Weddington, etc but would like to really narrow it down. Also read the Fort Mills schools had an enrollment freeze, but that thread was from 2006 so not sure how accurate that info is. Also want to consider easiest commutes.. definitely don't want to spend more than 20-30 min TOPS commuting. How do these areas compare as far as traffic, crime, schools, etc?

Will also need resources for childcare and headhunter/recruiters for my husband. He is in the IT field and has a masters degree in Information Systems, looking for a systems analyst or IT manager type of position. Any advice is greatly appreciated!!! Also please feel free to email me ktsumnercl@gmail.com

THanks!!!
You might want to consider renting, since your husband's job location is yet to be determined. It's a very large area.

Old 07-17-2011, 02:27 PM

Sorry, that is 28277, not 28227.

Old 07-17-2011, 02:28 PM

We are definitely planning on renting for our first year but still would need to know the same information, even if only for a year, we want to be in a good school zone and family oriented area. THanks

Old 07-17-2011, 03:15 PM

1,661 posts, read 3,288,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktsumnercl View Post
.... Also read the Fort Mills schools had an enrollment freeze,....!
Fort Mill public schools can't refuse to take students if they are a resident of the part of SC served by the school. It's state law they have to provide the education. It's the same in NC. The public school system has to make accommodation for any eligible student. The student might not get to go to the school of their choice but they will get a seat.

Charter schools and private schools are a different matter. Many of the very good charter schools have long waiting lists and some of the private schools are difficult to get into as well.

If you are thinking of Mecklenburg county (Charlotte) keep in mind the public school system is county wide, and they can change the neighborhood assignment to any school(s).

Old 07-17-2011, 05:38 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,293,024 times
The work address appears to be the heart of Ballantyne - an excellent address concerning schools. YOu can choose to live very close to work and still have excellent schools.

Also while the warnings about reassignment possibilities is warranted in some cases, it really only happens on the edges of the school zones. All the schools around Ballantyne have a good reputation (since this is an upscale area. For middle schools, JM Robinson Middle school is tops, Community House is good also.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:12 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,169,105 times
You might also consider western Union County as well, it is also close to your work location.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:39 AM
DBF

78 posts, read 186,397 times
We live in Bridgemill which is in the Lancaster County portion of Fort Mill. It is a great community and a very easy commute to the Ballantyne area where my husband works. I really like this area - close to alot of shopping, etc. Taxes and home prices are much lower when you cross into SC.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:24 AM

286 posts, read 689,067 times
So are you looking for a house or apartment to rent? You will have many options for apartments in this school district. House rentals go pretty quickly in this area. The schools are great.

Old 07-19-2011, 04:29 PM

396 posts, read 1,630,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south.charlotte&union View Post
You might also consider western Union County as well, it is also close to your work location.
She is always right

Union County gets my vote as well. My husband has commuted in to Meck. county since we moved here. The Weddington cluster is the best group of schools my children have ever attended. I think the same can be said for Marvin cluster. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte