Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 01:41 PM

169 posts, read 475,523 times

Advertisements

We are now looking for a vet for our 6 year old mini poodle. We live in Indian Trail and wanted to know if you have had any experiences with the Sun Valley Animal Hospital on Old Monroe Road? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2009, 07:13 PM

810 posts, read 2,291,475 times
We have 2 standard poodles. One is 18 months old and the other is 6 months. We go to Sun Valley Animal Hospital. Everyone is very nice and professional. Both dogs were neutered by Sun Valley. Their prices are reasonable even for shots and Frontline Plus.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yrgm View Post
We have 2 standard poodles. One is 18 months old and the other is 6 months. We go to Sun Valley Animal Hospital. Everyone is very nice and professional. Both dogs were neutered by Sun Valley. Their prices are reasonable even for shots and Frontline Plus.
Thank you. I'm sure your poodle pups keep you very busy, I appreciate you taking the time to respond. Glad you had positive experiences at Sun Valley.

Old 10-08-2009, 11:35 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,723,610 times
The name Sun Valley seems like one end of the Rainbow Bridge.

I dunno.

Old 10-08-2009, 05:21 PM

575 posts, read 1,515,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukesmom View Post
We are now looking for a vet for our 6 year old mini poodle. We live in Indian Trail and wanted to know if you have had any experiences with the Sun Valley Animal Hospital on Old Monroe Road? Thanks.
We moved to Wesley Chapel in '07 and Sun Valley Animal Hospital was recommended by one of our new neighbors. We are very pleased with the service they provide and their rates are reasonable.

Old 10-09-2009, 11:26 AM

Thanks diamondplayer, I think we're going to check them out. Good to hear you like them too.

Old 10-16-2009, 11:04 AM

1 posts, read 2,501 times
Stay away! My 8 years old GSD died less than a week after he went in for an examination, actually I paid for two examination. I took him in because he was not eating normal. I should've know because each examination was less than 5 minutes. When they gave him back to me the vet said he was normal and everything is fine. In less than a week, he was dead in my bedroom bathroom from bloat. They should've caught it if they did the exam right. I was referred to here by my best friend and he had nothing to say. I will never forgive these so called vet at this place. They took away my only faithful companion!

Old 10-16-2009, 01:07 PM

575 posts, read 1,515,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmartin888 View Post
Stay away! My 8 years old GSD died less than a week after he went in for an examination, actually I paid for two examination. I took him in because he was not eating normal. I should've know because each examination was less than 5 minutes. When they gave him back to me the vet said he was normal and everything is fine. In less than a week, he was dead in my bedroom bathroom from bloat. They should've caught it if they did the exam right. I was referred to here by my best friend and he had nothing to say. I will never forgive these so called vet at this place. They took away my only faithful companion!
Sad story but this just happens to be your first post

Old 10-17-2009, 10:20 AM

529 posts, read 1,978,548 times
My family took our pets there for a long time. Now, I take my Ragdoll cat there. I have been going there for 8 years with him and I love it. Dr. Barker is amazing with the animals and you can't help but like the fact that his last name seems to "fit" the profession. Really, they are awesome. Everyone from the people at the counter, to the doctors, nothing but positive. I love that when I go in for my cat's appt time that the room is not crowded with people/animals waiting... a sure sign that they are efficient and don't overbook so that the Dr.'s can spend time with you and your pet.

Old 08-24-2010, 04:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,091 times
Hello "Diamondplayer",

My first meeting with this site. Perhaps I am unaware of the 'rules' within this forum ?? Is this a 'fraternity' or a bastardized version of basic training ? Are we 'newbies' to "learn our place" when expressing an opinion or sentiment ?? Your response to gmartin888 certainly seems devoid of empathy. Why ?? Because it is a first post ?

I may not be a 'vet' but I am very well trained, and licensed, within the medical field(s). Here's my 'post' (circa 07') regarding SVAH.

http://www5.insiderpages.com/images/default_profile_pics/7.png?1282606742 (broken link)
★☆☆☆☆ STAY AWAY FROM HERE !!!!!! byron w. 1 Hudson David P Dvm - Sun Valley Animal Hospital

Recently our young (less than two yrs.) Australian Shep, Doc, displayed signs of weakness and a foul odor to his breath. We suspected ingestion of some type of toxin. My wife phoned Sun Valley Animal Hospital with a report of her suspicions. When I presented 'Doc' to Dr. Barker, I reiterated our concerns about poisoning. Dr. Barker took 'Doc' into a separate room for 'examination'. Dr. Barker returned shortly with 'Doc' and the diagnosis. Barker explained 'Doc' was in pain due to a tendon problem in a hind leg which the Doctor had ascertained by palpation and no x-ray or imaging of any kind. It was certainly what I wanted to hear i.e., 'Doc' is not going to die. NEVER ONCE DID HE MENTION DOING A BLOOD DRAW FOR TOXICOLOGY WHICH I HAD REQUESTED. He convinced me the tendon was the issue. FURTHERMORE, HE NEVER SUGGESTED A BLOOD DRAW FOR ANY REASON, and that began the slippery slope.
Barker handed me a vial of pills with NO INFORMATION ON THE POTENTIAL SIDE EFFECTS OF THE DRUG NOR THE CONDITIONS FOR WHICH THE DRUG IS INDICATED AS TREATMENT.
Just over four days later 'Doc' died.
Research into "DERAMAXX", revealed Barker was horrifically negligent in prescribing this drug. First, and worst, the drug is not approved for controlling the pain of a tendon sprain. Deramaxx is approved only for 'specific' post-op procedures and osteoarthritis, period. Gross negligence: it is stated a baseline blood sample should always be established. Barker ignored this and compounded matters by doubling the first two day doses. As 'Docs' condition deteriorated the med was stopped but 'HE' the learned Doctor, had NO IDEA WHAT TO DO ABOUT THE SITUATION. He threw out all types and manner of alternate diagnoses which proved to be wrong. All he knew to do was push fluids and steroids. HE DID NOT CONTACT THE MANUFACTURER, "NOVARTIS", for help. They employ six vets to take calls because of the volume of problems they have with Dr. Barkers 'safe and effective' drug.
The FDA asks for 'voluntary' submission of ADE's (reports citing fatal or damaging drug side effects) from vets. Dr. Barker was part of the 99% ( really ) that don't report. I reported it myself as Barker noted in a phone call yesterday.
Be prepared, read this: Understanding Deramaxx®
I faxed a lengthy report detailing the many, many pet deaths attributed to 'Deramaxx' which chronicles the long battle between the FDA and Novartis regarding false advertising, adverse effects, fatalities and sloppy Vet practice.
Dr. Barker unbelievably chose to argue certain points of the document which he clearly was not able to even interpret correctly. If you really believe all Doctors are 'bright', think again. NEVER, EVER, TRUST WHAT THE DOCTOR TELLS YOU. ALWAYS DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH.
I listened on the phone yesterday as Barker let go with his magical medical terminology diarrhea. "if ya can't dazzle em with your knowledge then baffle em with your bulls--t." He tried to fit it all in but missed a few Eosinophils. He positively loved 'icteric' and more so explaining alternate pathologies. THE BIG PROBLEM WAS / IS , HE STILL DOESN'T KNOW WHAT CAUSED ANY OF IT, BUT, HE IS POSITIVE IT WASNT THE DERAMAXX.
HE ESPECIALLY DOESN'T WANT TO ADDRESS THE HIGH CORRELATION OF PHYSICAL SYMPTOMS AND LAB RESULTS WITH THOSE PUBLISHED IN THE 'DERAMAXX' "ADE" STUDIES.
I was in shock the morning 'Doc' died. I just wanted to be gone so I went in and, unthinkingly, paid the $700. Later, digging Docs grave, I had time to think about the unfairness. I decided the least they could do was refund half the money so we could try and find a pup.
Dr. Barker weasled out saying he only works there and his boss, Dr. Hudson, said no. I asked Barker if he had given the faxed report and the details to Hudson. Of course, yes. Well, I wonder if Hudson even bothered to read all those pages ?? Worse, if his reading skills are on the same level as his employee then its a washout.
In the parking lot Barker comes out with my dearly loved friend 'Doc' ( wrapped neatly in a square in some type of plastic diaper like material taped together ) and orates further on his complete faith in Deramaxx. Of course, he notes, maybe, there might have been a toxin issue involved.
I was numb as I listened to the drivel. Worse, I missed he stated He and I had decided the first day to forego a blood draw. NO, NEVER HAPPENED. Not with a guy whose heart still aches for the two beautiful creatures previously lost to poison.
I only learned this later from my wife who retained more of the conversation. He was covering his butt, blatantly using the opportune moment of our grief. He had screwed up and knew it. I'm sure he breathed a sigh of relief when I decided against necropsy. Another stupid mistake on my part while grieving.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte