Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 08:27 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,753,814 times

Advertisements

Today's Observer ran an article on a Neighborhood Quality of Life study. You can get more info by going to neighborhoods. charmeck. org and click "2006 Quality of Life Study".

Briefly, though, the neighborhoods to stay away from (according to the article) are:

Wilson Heights
Wesley Heights
McCrorey Heights
Druid Hills South
Sugaw Creek/Ritch Ave.
Commonwealth
Colonial Village
Griers Fork
Oakdale North
Sunset Rd.
Henderson Circle
College Downs
Windsor Park
Becton Park

There are also quite a few which have shown improvement. I just listed these because it seems people are always asking which areas to stay away from. Hope it helps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2006, 09:02 AM

2,314 posts, read 2,832,446 times
I would disagree with Sunset Road. There are some bad apples over there but I would feel somewhat safe.

Old 09-06-2006, 09:09 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteAgent View Post
I would disagree with Sunset Road. There are some bad apples over there but I would feel somewhat safe.

I'm glad you would feel comfortable there, but I sure would not. It is just too near Statesville Road and other bad neighborhoods for my taste.

Old 09-06-2006, 10:01 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,906,385 times
I think when we look at these things, you need to also look at how they came up with the list and the criteria that was used in the study which is

The Neighborhood Quality of Life Study uses data from 20 subjects -- such as rates of violent crime, school dropouts, home ownership and eligibility for food stamps -- to measure 173 Charlotte neighborhoods' overall quality of life. • Neighborhoods' categorizations -- stable, transitioning or challenged -- aren't determined against a fixed standard. Rather, they're compared to the statistical averages among all neighborhoods -- a practice that some City Council members have criticized as misleading, since a neighborhood could potentially fall to a lower category even if its data showed it improved, or vice versa. • This year, the study includes a gauge for each neighborhood that shows whether the overall quality of life since the 2002 study has improved, stayed the same or gotten worse -- regardless of category.

Old 09-06-2006, 11:09 AM

117 posts, read 416,066 times
Quote:

How close is that to where you live in Cornelius?

Old 09-06-2006, 11:41 AM

I live at Exit 25 and Sunset Road is exit 16A/B

Old Statesville Road runs a Good ways so a general statement as to this is a bad area is to broad for me. Yes there are some areas that are not the best but overall I think its ok.

Sunset Road on the other hand runs through a good ways it is just to broad of a statement to say Sunset Road or Old Stateville Road are bad areas.

Old 09-06-2006, 11:41 AM

431 posts, read 1,668,172 times
its ironic that Long Islands bad neighborhoods ending with "heights" are notoriously bad.

Old 09-06-2006, 11:46 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
Quote:

Old Statesville Road runs a Good ways so a general statement as to this is a bad area is to broad for me. Yes there are some areas that are not the best but overall I think its ok.

Sunset Road on the other hand runs through a good ways it is just to broad of a statement to say Sunset Road or Old Stateville Road are bad areas.

I can be more specific...Statesville Rd between uptown Charlotte and exit 18 is not an area that I would live in.

Old 09-06-2006, 11:57 AM

I understand what you mean.

Old 09-06-2006, 01:28 PM

117 posts, read 416,066 times
Quote:

Oh ok, what do you think about the area around the North Lake Mall? Do you feel safe around there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte