Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2006, 08:28 AM

8 posts, read 97,979 times

Advertisements

Hello..

Me and my friend are planning on moving to NC in May of next year. We have pretty much decided we want to live in Huntersville and have picked out the The Landings Apartments as somewhere we would be very interested in renting for many reasons. ANYWAY, my biggest concern is us not being approved for an apartment. I know there are tons of other apartment complexes around but we were gonn start with this complex. I am 33 soon to be 34 and my friend is 28 soon to be 29 - so we are not kids just made some bad money choices in the past. We dont mind putting down more money for a deposit etc but does anyone have any experience with this same situation or know of any places to rent from that are less forgiving. We are in CT and very hard here to get a place with bad credit so therefore we have had to have co-signers or live with family...

Thanks in advance for any advice you have.

- Jenn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2006, 10:30 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,546,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennbk33 View Post
Hello..

Me and my friend are planning on moving to NC in May of next year. We have pretty much decided we want to live in Huntersville and have picked out the The Landings Apartments as somewhere we would be very interested in renting for many reasons. ANYWAY, my biggest concern is us not being approved for an apartment. I know there are tons of other apartment complexes around but we were gonn start with this complex. I am 33 soon to be 34 and my friend is 28 soon to be 29 - so we are not kids just made some bad money choices in the past. We dont mind putting down more money for a deposit etc but does anyone have any experience with this same situation or know of any places to rent from that are less forgiving. We are in CT and very hard here to get a place with bad credit so therefore we have had to have co-signers or live with family...

- Jenn

My 2 cents, is you should be good- particularly if you provide first, last, and security. Most landlords or property managers will take your money without question. Unless your previous reference says you were way late, etc. But I've rarely ever seen that done.

Old 09-08-2006, 06:41 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,835,086 times
If you tell them up front and not hide it they maybe able t ohelp. References would be good too.

Old 09-09-2006, 02:37 PM

463 posts, read 1,651,216 times
Hi Jenn,

Sorry to disappoint you but one quick phone call call was all it took to find out what their policies for prospective tenants are. The Landings Apartments in Huntersville requires not only a credit check for all prospective tenants, but also a criminal background check, social security card, driver's license, proof of employment and pay stubs.

Prospective tenants pay for the credit check and criminal background check. It's a non-refundable fee of $35.00.

Wish I had better news for you but I don't.

Regards,

Cassie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennbk33 View Post
Hello..

- Jenn

Last edited by Cassie; 09-09-2006 at 02:45 PM.. Reason: spaces

Old 09-09-2006, 03:12 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,721,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
Hi Jenn,

Sorry to disappoint you but one quick phone call call was all it took to find out what their policies for prospective tenants are. The Landings Apartments in Huntersville requires not only a credit check for all prospective tenants, but also a criminal background check, social security card, driver's license, proof of employment and pay stubs.

Prospective tenants pay for the credit check and criminal background check. It's a non-refundable fee of $35.00.

Wish I had better news for you but I don't.

Regards,

Cassie
I can verify this, Cassie is correct. Nice apartment complexes in this area are very picky about their potential residents. My son and his buddy could not get into the one they wanted to in south Charlotte because of the buddy's credit report. Having all the cash they needed didn't matter a bit.

Old 09-09-2006, 03:17 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,854,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I can verify this, Cassie is correct. Nice apartment complexes in this area are very picky about their potential residents. My son and his buddy could not get into the one they wanted to in south Charlotte because of the buddy's credit report. Having all the cash they needed didn't matter a bit.
Crimminal back ground? YIKES Glad I am a home owner. I wonder if that is to scare off people. Maybe ask them who does their background checks. Those are not cheap and $35 wouldn't cover it since they are running a credit report also. I know around here some landlords say they run a credit report, but they don't. They only do this to scare off people. This can also be used if they do find something out (usually other tenants telling) then they can evict without cause since you said you weren't a felon or what ever they ask on the application. Call up and say your "John with ABC security" and were looking for new clients and ask who does their background checks

I must ask, is it that bad in that area? There is only one reason why they "must" ask or do that sort of check. There has been issues in that area.

I know a long time ago a buddy got in by paying 6 months in advance "cash" and they let him in. It's a thought. Might help you.

Old 09-09-2006, 03:41 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,546,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoAlley View Post
Crimminal back ground? YIKES Glad I am a home owner. I wonder if that is to scare off people. Maybe ask them who does their background checks. Those are not cheap and $35 wouldn't cover it since they are running a credit report also. I know around here some landlords say they run a credit report, but they don't. They only do this to scare off people. This can also be used if they do find something out (usually other tenants telling) then they can evict without cause since you said you weren't a felon or what ever they ask on the application. Call up and say your "John with ABC security" and were looking for new clients and ask who does their background checks

I must ask, is it that bad in that area? There is only one reason why they "must" ask or do that sort of check. There has been issues in that area.

I know a long time ago a buddy got in by paying 6 months in advance "cash" and they let him in. It's a thought. Might help you.

I'd have to agree. Seems like it's less paper work to buy a house, then rent an apartment. Although honestly I have no problems with the requirements. I'm a landlord and understand 100% why they ask for all of that. However I wouldn't turn away months in advance payment- typically that's what it's all about, can you pay. Technically the credit report is the only real aspect as a landlord you can be subjective about. You can set a policy that you don't want anyone with below 680 fico and lates in the last 6 months. That's legal.

Old 09-09-2006, 03:46 PM

1,126 posts, read 3,854,962 times
I don't disagree. I see where the land lords are coming from. I think people should always weight out buying over renting. With a FICO of 620 and a seller helping with closing cost, there are loans out there that can get you in. Might not be the best interest rate at time of purchase. But, in 8-12 month re-fi the loan and your a home owner! Like Mike said we both know it might be less of a hassle.

Old 09-09-2006, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
That's become increasingly common because management has been burned one too many times by tenants who don't pay their rent. Eviction can be time consuming and costly. We have friends in another area of the state who own rental units, have "been there and done that" so they will not rent to anyone without a good credit report. Doesn't matter how much cash is waved under their noses. Actually, that makes them suspicious.

Typically a credit check costs 25.00. A criminal background check the same.

Doesn't much matter what those cost if someone is SOL due to the credit check.

Regards,

Cassie

Last edited by Cassie; 09-09-2006 at 03:52 PM.. Reason: dang spaces again :-)

Old 09-09-2006, 04:02 PM

Would the "grammar police" who just gave me a red dot for not "editing my grammar" please be so kind as to read the forum rules? Not a valid reason for giving bad "rep."

Regards,

Cassie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
That's become increasingly common because management has been burned one too many times by tenants who don't pay their rent. Eviction can be time consuming and costly. We have friends in another area of the state who own rental units, have "been there and done that" so they will not rent to anyone without a good credit report. Doesn't matter how much cash is waved under their noses. Actually, that makes them suspicious.

Typically a credit check costs 25.00. A criminal background check the same.

Doesn't much matter what those cost if someone is SOL due to the credit check.

Regards,

Cassie

Last edited by Cassie; 09-09-2006 at 04:22 PM.. Reason: Yes, I can spell my own name <VBG>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte