Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 01:05 PM

10 posts, read 48,841 times

Advertisements

I am 31 years old and looking to relocate to Charlotte from Columbus, Ohio. The main reason for this is the weather. I don't think I can stand another gloomy, freezing Ohio winter. I have been to Charlotte before and really fell in love with the city.

I am still looking for a job, but most likely will be working in the Downtown/Uptown area.

My questions are....

Where is a good place to live? I want to be close to some action and work. I enjoy going out for happy hours and such, not a huge club person at this age, but definitely like going out and being social. Would want to spend around $800 for rent or possibly double that if a friend of mine ends up moving with me and we can split the bill.

Also, is Charlotte a good place for singles?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2007, 01:33 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,440,977 times
Technically, happy hours are illegal in Charlotte (deep discounting of alcohol is illegal in bars/restaurants), so they make up for it with food specials and slightly cheaper than usual drinks. Charlotte is a pretty good place for singles. Where you want to live would greatly depend on where you want to work. What are you looking for a job in?

Old 08-20-2007, 02:03 PM

550 posts, read 1,810,385 times
As a single 32 male - so far I love Charlotte. Been here for four months and it's great! I know lots of singles in their 20s and 30s scattered around town in apartments and homes. Most live in town. There are great areas outside of the city - most are couples, families, etc.

Old 08-20-2007, 02:25 PM

Default ...

Good to know about happy hours - didn't realize that.

Thanks for the quick replies.

I am looking for a job in the banking industry as a project manager. My friend is looking for a job in sales.

Old 08-20-2007, 02:37 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,917,728 times
Um, isn't happy hour just a term for after work drinking? Geez groove.

Yes you will like it here. Uptown, SouthPark, even the Lake are great areas for people our age. You can get a one bedroom uptown, or a two-bedroom in SouthPark or Lake Norman for $800. There are tons of Young Professionals groups and social clubs so you can meet people.

Use the search function on this site and you will find a lot of threads with this information. Welcome!

Old 08-20-2007, 03:47 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,031,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmway View Post
Um, isn't happy hour just a term for after work drinking? Geez groove.

!
Actually I knew Happy Hour to be when the bar reduced the price of drinks and everybody got happy.

Only when I came to the USA did I hear it a work context.

Old 08-20-2007, 03:57 PM

1,384 posts, read 1,917,728 times
Ahhh, I am too young to remember those days! LOL

Old 08-20-2007, 06:03 PM

523 posts, read 2,907,841 times
I'm a 30-year-old single, professional female and I just moved here 3 months ago. So far, I have no real complaints other than the summer heat but I knew about that before moving here. I have found it easy to meet people here and I generally have a range of things that I can choose to do on any given weekend. I'm not big into the club scene, either, which is probably good because there isn't much of one!

If you are planning on living in Uptown and you want to be around other young singles, I would recommend living in Uptown, South End, Dilworth, or Elizabeth. They are all close-in and have their own character. If you can't find an apartment that you like in your price range, you can rent a room in a nice, new townhouse in those areas including utilities in your price range. When are you thinking about moving?

Old 08-21-2007, 06:53 AM

Default ...

Thanks for all of the great advice. I am a contractor and my contract is up at the end of September, so I will probably be moving some time around then if my current company can find me a new position in Charlotte (they have an office there). Unfortunately, I probably won't know until last minute...that is how the contract world works. I am excited about the possibility of moving. Just have to wait and see what happens. I have never moved anywhere were I basically knew nobody, so I am also a little nervous.

Thanks again for the good tips on neighborhoods.

Old 08-21-2007, 12:17 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,440,977 times
The heat is unusually bad even for Charlotte right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte