Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2011, 01:54 PM

763 posts, read 822,768 times

Advertisements

The Democratic Convention Committee has announced that the $7 million dollars allocated for the updating of the convention center in Charlotte will be give to contractors from Arizona, Colorado, and some other outside state. Furthermore, they will be given to union companies that promise to hire "minority" sub-contractors. Looks like those former white combat veterans that have companies can forget getting a piece of the pie. Where is the mayor when needed. How can he allow such descrimination and racism to take place in our "progressive" city? He just lost my vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2011, 02:09 PM

1,781 posts, read 2,683,001 times
Lightbulb Hmmmm...And You Know This How?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella Artois View Post
The Democratic Convention Committee has announced that the $7 million dollars allocated for the updating of the convention center in Charlotte will be give to contractors from Arizona, Colorado, and some other outside state. Furthermore, they will be given to union companies that promise to hire "minority" sub-contractors. Looks like those former white combat veterans that have companies can forget getting a piece of the pie. Where is the mayor when needed. How can he allow such descrimination and racism to take place in our "progressive" city? He just lost my vote.
Now, I can understand if you are upset because local contractors aren't getting first crack at that money...after all, the convetion IS being held in Charlotte, thus it would make sense to try and get local folk at the front of the line...this much is true...

But I'm sorry, crying wolf and using that well-known worn-out battle cry 'racism and discrimination' is a bit much...has there been ANY solid, concrete information as to who the sub-contractors will be, and what percent will truly be 'minorities'?

And further, 'white former combat veterans'? Please...I'm not gonna believe any of this til I have set-in-stone proof that there's any kind of double-dealing involved...and I'd say the same thing if the situation was reversed, and you felt that black former combat veterans were getting the same raw deal (yes, I'm black myself)...

And by the way, I'm quite sure Mayor Foxx is not going be waking up in a cold sweat, surrounded by twisted sheets, because someone on a chat forum declares that he's lost their vote...

Old 10-26-2011, 02:13 PM

1,253 posts, read 4,716,451 times
Where is this information posted? I would love to hear what all the facts are before we get out the pitch forks.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captaincatfish View Post
Now, I can understand if you are upset because local contractors aren't getting first crack at that money...after all, the convetion IS being held in Charlotte, thus it would make sense to try and get local folk at the front of the line...this much is true...

But I'm sorry, crying wolf and using that well-known worn-out battle cry 'racism and discrimination' is a bit much...has there been ANY solid, concrete information as to who the sub-contractors will be, and what percent will truly be 'minorities'?

And further, 'white former combat veterans'? Please...I'm not gonna believe any of this til I have set-in-stone proof that there's any kind of double-dealing involved...and I'd say the same thing if the situation was reversed, and you felt that black former combat veterans were getting the same raw deal (yes, I'm black myself)...

And by the way, I'm quite sure Mayor Foxx is not going be waking up in a cold sweat, surrounded by twisted sheets, because someone on a chat forum declares that he's lost their vote...
Yea you are right, a white person should never cry "racism and discrimination" despite being discriminated against in competing for jobs. That "well-know worn-out battle cry" is reserved for those that expect preferential treatment without outside interuption.

Obviously you are not familiar with the procedures of government contract solicitation and assignment. First opportunity goes to minority businesses. Minority businesses does not include white or Asian. Since there is a 90 percent default rate with this practice, bids are solicited from all other interested bidders afterwards. And yes, this initially elliminates opportunities for former "white" combat veterans to bid initially.

Not only is this practice disgraceful, but using only union companies in a "right to work" state is also a slap in the face.

I can't vote in Charlotte elections as I live in the county but not the city. However, I am sure that hard working individuals that are awared of such discriminatory practices might consider voting for a person that believes in actual equal employment opportunities for "all" people. This is 2011, not 1964.

This article is in today's Charlotte Observer under "Convention awards $7M in contracts."

Old 10-26-2011, 03:25 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,138,526 times
Quote:
Obviously you are not familiar with the procedures of government contract solicitation and assignment. First opportunity goes to minority businesses. Minority businesses does not include white or Asian. Since there is a 90 percent default rate with this practice, bids are solicited from all other interested bidders afterwards. And yes, this initially elliminates opportunities for former "white" combat veterans to bid initially.
If that's the case, then the RNC should be following the same guidelines. Will you be voicing your complaint then as well? (FYI - if it is the city or county's policy to contract minority companies first, larger contractors will often partner w/minority businesses. This is the case here, if you read the article).

For anyone else who doesn't want to do 10 minutes of digging to find the article, here's the link: DNC awards contracts worth $7 million | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper

Old 10-26-2011, 03:39 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,138,526 times
Quote:
He just lost my vote.
Quote:
I can't vote in Charlotte elections as I live in the county but not the city.
LOL

Old 10-26-2011, 03:55 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,523,734 times
Quote:

Really?

Latest Releases - 2012 Democratic National Convention (http://www.demconvention.com/releases-view.asp?id=14 - broken link)

Here is the link to:

The Democratic Convention

News - 2012 Democratic National Convention (http://www.demconvention.com/news.asp - broken link)

Old 10-26-2011, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
If that's the case, then the RNC should be following the same guidelines. Will you be voicing your complaint then as well? (FYI - if it is the city or county's policy to contract minority companies first, larger contractors will often partner w/minority businesses. This is the case here, if you read the article).

For anyone else who doesn't want to do 10 minutes of digging to find the article, here's the link: DNC awards contracts worth $7 million | CharlotteObserver.com & The Charlotte Observer Newspaper
First, I don't care about the RNC since I am not a republican. Secondly, this is "not" a "city or county policy. This is an act to give preferential treatment to a specific group through "minority" contractors. You just paraprased what I said, "larger contractors (union only companies) will partner with minority businesses."

I think that preferential treatment should go to veterans, regardless of color, if to anyone

Old 10-26-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
Really?

Latest Releases - 2012 Democratic National Convention (http://www.demconvention.com/releases-view.asp?id=14 - broken link)

Here is the link to:

The Democratic Convention

News - 2012 Democratic National Convention (http://www.demconvention.com/news.asp - broken link)

I sent information from the Charlotte Observer and what I saw on local news this morning. Really!

Old 10-26-2011, 05:03 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,523,734 times
Quote:
I sent information from the Charlotte Observer and what I saw on local news this morning. Really!

Did you read the link I posted? The press release gives the info as to who got the construction contracts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte