Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 08:20 AM

985 posts, read 1,902,293 times

Advertisements

It would be interesting to see how we think it compares to Detroit's. We had snowpants and down coats and still froze when we went to Detroit's a few years ago. Won't have that here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 10:29 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
The parade starts at 10 but how long does it last?
We need to be in Hunterville at 1pm
thanks

Old 11-22-2011, 10:46 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,350,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
The parade starts at 10 but how long does it last?
We need to be in Hunterville at 1pm
thanks
I could not find info online, but if my memory is correct 1 1/2 hours is the duration (plan on a two hour duration with fighting uptown traffic to leave the event). At any rate, you'll see Santa and be in Hunterville by 1230 at the latest.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:00 AM

What intersection the parade start at? I figure that would be a good spot to get out and go.

Old 11-22-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
What intersection the parade start at? I figure that would be a good spot to get out and go.
500 north tryon charlotte - Google Maps

^^^There is surface parking next to the Days Inn. You can park there.

Old 11-22-2011, 06:44 PM

Sorry for delay in response, I got busy this evening.

Sounds like a good plan, I appreciate it.
I never been to a Thanksgiving Parade and I am glad its the Queen City.

Old 11-23-2011, 06:09 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,280,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondplayer View Post
Why would I make the effort to attend a parade that is unwatchable on TV? The TV cameras don't lie, the 'foot traffic' is 2 people deep, sometimes, making a good view for all if there was something to see. If your idea of a parade is to see the local politicians and on air TV news people of the channel covering the parade sitting in fancy cars or NASCAR cars but no NASCAR drivers and quirky street 'entertainers' not related to anything in the Thanksgiving spirit mixed in with High School 'beauty queens' and 'marching bands', all spread out at 50 yard intervals to make the parade last as long as it does then the #4 ranked parade is for you. For me I'll stick with the tried and true Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. Isn't the #4 ranked parade aired on tape AFTER the Macy's parade is over, wonder why?
Why are you comparing this to anything in NYC? NYC is the greatest city on earth, us little folk can do things too. That kind of attitude is why people enjoy the company of some New Yorker so much. Because it is bigger/better doesn't mean you can't enjoy yourself or have fun. mod cut

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 11-23-2011 at 07:26 AM.. Reason: flaming

Old 11-23-2011, 06:29 AM

575 posts, read 1,516,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Why are you comparing this to anything in NYC? NYC is the greatest city on earth, us little folk can do things too. That kind of attitude is why people enjoy the company of some New Yorker so much. Because it is bigger/better doesn't mean you can't enjoy yourself or have fun. Get the corncob/arrogant tude out of your @SS and enjoy life. Besides the majority of America is small/mid-size towns and people seem to survive/manage without all the fluff just fine..enjoy the holiday spirit and you might make a new friend scrooge.
PSSS- more people from the Charlotte area stay home and watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade than ATTEND and WATCH (TAPE DELAY, WONDER WHY, LOL) the Charlotte 'parade'! The Macy's parade has been a long time American tradition for the nation to enjoy. On the other hand the Charlotte parade looks like it is hastily put together in order to have one.
Thought -A, Presentation -F.
mod cut

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 11-23-2011 at 07:26 AM.. Reason: flaming

Old 11-23-2011, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Why are you comparing this to anything in NYC? NYC is the greatest city on earth, us little folk can do things too. That kind of attitude is why people enjoy the company of some New Yorker so much. Because it is bigger/better doesn't mean you can't enjoy yourself or have fun. Get the corncob/arrogant tude out of your @SS and enjoy life. Besides the majority of America is small/mid-size towns and people seem to survive/manage without all the fluff just fine..enjoy the holiday spirit and you might make a new friend scrooge.
In reality, many of the folks I meet at the parade are New Yorkers (or folks from larger cities). My mother was a New Yorker and she got me into going uptown for parades and festivals (because that is what she did in NYC).

Two years ago, my wife and I met a family from Long Island at the Starbucks uptown. The Starbucks on Tryon Street seems to be a popular spot to go after the parade. Anyways, we sat and chatted for a few hours; at the end of the chat fest, we (my wife and I) were invited over to the Long Islanders' south Charlotte home for Thanksgiving Dinner. We did not go because we already had our own plans, but that was sooooooo cool that total strangers would have made such an offer.

That is what I meant when I said "Holiday Spirit" earlier in this thread. You just can't put a price on the feeling one gets from enjoying an event with others. For some, sitting at home and watching an event on TV is their "tradition" (which is perfectly fine). For me however, I want to connect with people and my community. If I were lucky enough to be in NYC on Thanksgiving, I'd be watching that parade in person; not on TV. Same goes for any city that is having a parade; I'd rather be there in person. There is no need to knock those who would rather watch a good parade on TV though. The Holidays are all about enjoying yourself in your own way; no way is "better" than the other.

Old 11-23-2011, 07:29 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,280,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondplayer View Post
PSSS- more people from the Charlotte area stay home and watch the Macy's Thanksgiving Parade than ATTEND and WATCH (TAPE DELAY, WONDER WHY, LOL) the Charlotte 'parade'! The Macy's parade has been a long time American tradition for the nation to enjoy. On the other hand the Charlotte parade looks like it is hastily put together in order to have one.
Thought -A, Presentation -F.
mod cut
You make a lot of unfounded assumptions about what people in Charlotte do on Thanksgiving. Sure, everyone knows about the Macy's Thanksgiving parade and will usually tune-in if at home. Although, I haven't seen the Macy's parade (via TV) in years, rather be outside.

The rag-tag nature of a hometown parade is half of the fun...everything doesn't need to be hollywood polished to be enjoyable. Enjoying life, family, community - Priceless! Chill, you don't have to prove to anyone how great everything is in NYC, we already know and visit often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte