Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2011, 12:57 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,134,063 times

Advertisements

Does anyone here go to AutoBell or similar places? I went for the first time today and wasn't sure how much to tip. I got a full service (inside/outside clean) for $15 and tipped $5, but it really wasn't that great of a clean. In fairness, I built a deck for my mom over Thanksgiving and had a lot of mud on my rubber mats, so I think they concentrated on cleaning that off. The vacuum job wasn't very good.

Anyway, what do y'all tip at places like this, and is there another option besides AutoBell in Charlotte?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2011, 01:01 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,611,475 times
I use Autobell all the time, though I don't know why because you are right that it is just OK. I usually throw a couple two three bucks their way for a tip. They probably make minimum wage anyway so it is probably OK to not tip.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:03 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,501,533 times
I go there now and then and usually tip $3 for the basic service.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:04 PM

One time, they were nice enough to Armor All my pedals. That was a fun drive home.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:18 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,134,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
One time, they were nice enough to Armor All my pedals. That was a fun drive home.
Ack! That would have been interesting!

Old 12-06-2011, 02:19 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,222,859 times
Quote:
Are you sure that wasn't on your shoes? The parking lot is covered in it, and if I'm wearing my dock shoes, they'll slip off the aluminum pedals once I get in. I've seen more than a couple people (including me) slip in the parking lot. It's all I can do to get any traction when I leave if I'm in my car.

I haven't been since I had my car detailed, but usually I just got the drive through service to knock the top layer of crud off. If I had more done, I'd be sure they got every (reasonable) bit of dirt off, and I'd tip 3-5 depending on what that required, both on their part and mine. It was not uncommon to get the car vacuumed again, or to have the wiper go over numerous spots.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Are you sure that wasn't on your shoes? The parking lot is covered in it, and if I'm wearing my dock shoes, they'll slip off the aluminum pedals once I get in. I've seen more than a couple people (including me) slip in the parking lot. It's all I can do to get any traction when I leave if I'm in my car.

I haven't been since I had my car detailed, but usually I just got the drive through service to knock the top layer of crud off. If I had more done, I'd be sure they got every (reasonable) bit of dirt off, and I'd tip 3-5 depending on what that required, both on their part and mine. It was not uncommon to get the car vacuumed again, or to have the wiper go over numerous spots.
I suppose its possible. I didn't really consider that since it only happened once and I've never noticed the lot being slippery.

I go to the one on Monroe Road after work. It is usually empty so they get it done pretty quickly.

Old 12-06-2011, 02:25 PM

564 posts, read 1,454,004 times
I do a flat $2 bucks regardless of what I have done.

Old 12-06-2011, 03:13 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,222,859 times
Quote:
I suppose its possible. I didn't really consider that since it only happened once and I've never noticed the lot being slippery.

I go to the one on Monroe Road after work. It is usually empty so they get it done pretty quickly.
That's the one I've used. The warmer the day, the slicker the lot and the street.

I went through there a few days ago in a buddy's car. We did the drive thru and wipe down. He would have tipped a buck until I shamed him into tipping $2, which I loaned him. He says $1 is 15% of the $6.95 drive thru wash price. Maybe he has a point.

Old 12-06-2011, 03:52 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,799,729 times
It always comes down to "towel management" for me. If the person wipes my car down and uses the same rag to wipe down the windshield and windows I ask them to redo it so I don't have to look at streaks in my windows.

I usually tip $3 or $4 but in the summer I tip more if it's really hot out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte