Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 06:15 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,781,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonlawyer View Post
People who move here from NJ, LI, and other parts of the NY Metro tend not to be high-earners. They come here because it's cheap.

For the question regarding nice parts of NJ, search the following towns on Realtor.com: Alpine, Saddle River, Bernardsville, Menham, Franklin Lakes, and Tenafly, just to name a few. Not to burst anyone's bubble, but if you're wealthy, NJ is much nicer than Charlotte. People who make $500k per year and more in NYC and who live in the foregoing towns, among others in NJ, are not moving to treeless, cookie-cutter developments in Charlotte that look fine for ten years maximum. (Developements from the 1980s and early 90s look lousy.) It's the retired cops, firemen, teachers, nurses, blue collar works and low-paid white collar workers who are.
Totally agree!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2012, 06:19 PM

149 posts, read 275,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonlawyer View Post
People who move here from NJ, LI, and other parts of the NY Metro tend not to be high-earners. They come here because it's cheap.

For the question regarding nice parts of NJ, search the following towns on Realtor.com: Alpine, Saddle River, Bernardsville, Menham, Franklin Lakes, and Tenafly, just to name a few. Not to burst anyone's bubble, but if you're wealthy, NJ is much nicer than Charlotte. People who make $500k per year and more in NYC and who live in the foregoing towns, among others in NJ, are not moving to treeless, cookie-cutter developments in Charlotte that look fine for ten years maximum. (Developements from the 1980s and early 90s look lousy.) It's the retired cops, firemen, teachers, nurses, blue collar works and low-paid white collar workers who are.
I totally agree as well.

Old 01-08-2012, 06:30 PM

1,350 posts, read 3,781,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Apparently, you haven't been to the Pine Barrens, in South Jersey, or Cape May, or Haddonfield, or Princeton. . .but that would mean getting off the Turnpike & the Parkway. Since most of the drive on I 85 is urban, from Henderson to Gastonia, I guess we know what you consider scenic.
I have to add ALL of Hunterdon County(my home), Warren County, Sussex County, Peapack, Gladeston, Bernardsville, Bedminster just to name a few. I feel a lot of people including myself would never leave NJ if it were not for the taxes and the cost of housing. NJ is beautiful and close to everything. I would move back to Jersey tomorrow if I could sell my house for anywhere near what I paid for it 3 years ago. I am still considering it even though we will loose close to 100k. I would be willing to work 2 jobs just to be back home. I apologize for going on and on but I am so tired of everyone knocking NJ and the people from there when they have NO idea.It would be like me saying there is nothing in NC but a bunch of rusty old trailer parks and racists. We all know that is NOT true so what makes people think everything in NJ looks like the parkway or Newark and that everyone acts like the people on Jersey Shore?!?!? Again I apologize just feeling extremely home sick.

Last edited by ssd3; 01-08-2012 at 06:43 PM..

Old 01-09-2012, 11:26 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,697,656 times
It's refreshing to see an honest opinion in a public forum especially when you're willing to put your money where you mouth is.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:07 PM

319 posts, read 1,250,194 times
Me too!! I'm on the Jersey shore. We lived in NYC for years, got priced out. Now we are just tired of the long commutes, tired of spending 3 hrs a day on bus/subway. When are you looking to move? My husband is going to lose his job this year anyway. We have a 16 month old girl.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:08 PM

319 posts, read 1,250,194 times
I love Jersey. It's time to move on though. I'm tired of the super high taxes, cost of living, long as hell commute to NYC. I'm just tired of it. Lived in this area my whole life. Not dissing, just ready for a new stage in our lives.

Old 01-12-2012, 08:00 PM

105 posts, read 172,862 times
I left New Jersey and no way could you get me to move back. I like my 1200 sq ft condo that is $2k a year for dues/taxes and only cost me 24k *foreclosure*. I like not playing dodge-the-pothole. Driving the highways and not having to pay tolls *which in nj where just jacked 50%*. I like the bit of Southern Hospitality you get down here. I like Charlotte

Edit: Forgot about the traffic, I don't miss NJ traffic! I don't miss everyone being in a freaking rush to get to a red light *though it is a different kind of bad driving down here*. Now if the idiots down here could get off their cell phone and just drive. Almost everyday I nearly get hit by someone on their phone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte