Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 12:09 PM

2 posts, read 4,630 times

Advertisements

So my family and I are looking at moving to the Mooresville area from California (husband has a job opportunity in Mooresville) and I'm hoping for some insight into the different areas. We have 2 young children, so schools are a top priority for us, as is commuting time (after living in CA, 30-45 minutes is tops, even if that's stuck in traffic). Are there areas that have lots of young families (we are in our late 20s with a preschooler/toddler). We are looking for an area with good schools, lots of young families with a park/family friendly activities, with housing costs less than about $350,000 for a 3 bedroom with an okay backyard (again coming from CA this just means having grass and the ability to run without hitting the neighbors house lol). Just a safe, friendly place. Thanks for your help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2011, 12:25 PM

4,041 posts, read 4,962,533 times
Check out Winding Walk neighborhood. It's in Cabarrus County right on the Cabarrus/Meck line. The schools are very good that feed into the neighborhood. It's probably right around 30-45 minutes for a commute using the back roads to Mooresville (my husband used to make the commute). The neighborhood is full of families and family friendly activities. They have a social committee that plans events for the neighborhood. They have a fantastic pool as well. We also have two toddlers and really enjoyed the neighborhood.

Old 11-12-2011, 02:12 PM

763 posts, read 822,522 times
Mooresville and Cornelius are both excellent and have really good schools. Mooresville is a little farther from Charlotte but you will find anything you need there. There are some nice areas for young families there especially around the Williamson Road area. Mooresville is a little larger than Cornelius and has a up and coming old downtown area.

Cornelius is a little more yuppie than Mooresville. Nice areas abound with walking, parks, and all family needs. Cornelius is close to Berkdale Village with fullfills all shopping and dining needs for which there is no lack of dining options in Cornelius. It is about a 20-25 minute drive to Charlotte and the airport.

Again, both are excellent areas for safety, educational, and general needs.

P.S. In the same area, you might want to expand your search to Davidson and possibly Huntersville.

Old 11-13-2011, 02:53 PM

2 posts, read 4,630 times
Thanks for the information, I'll definitely expand our search to include those areas. Is Davidson more of a college town? Also, could you recommend any communities/developments? We are looking into Winding Walk as well (sounds wonderful)

Old 11-14-2011, 07:51 AM

2,028 posts, read 5,430,642 times
Davidson IS a college town and IMO has the most "unsouthern" feel to it. Not as friendly, more "stuffy" and the most expensive for housing.
Mooresville does have a downtown that is bigger than both Cornelius and Huntersville downtown and has much more to offer.
Huntersville is ,well, Huntersville and to me is pretty much like any other "commuter" town.
Personally if you're working in Mooresville I couldn't see why you would chose to live in either Hun'ville or Cornelius as Mooresville is cheaper and has more to offer.Davidson maybe, if that's your cup of tea.
Davidson, Huntersville and Cornelius are all Mecklenburg county and although I'm sure the property taxes will be much lower than you're used to, they are considerably higher than Iredell county which Mooresville falls under.

For that price range in Mooresville you would easily be able to get a 3 bed nice home in a lake (Norman) access community on a good size lot.
That would be in zip code 28117 mainly.

Not sure what your other criteria would be knowing now that your budget will give you a lot of choice!
Age, sq ftage, desired lot size etc etc

Some SDs are Harbor cove,Winslow bay, Fernhill estates,plus some smaller more established SDs off Brawley School rd, Langtree Rd (very handy for Lowes corporate) and Templeton Rd.

Some of these (Harbor cove,Winslow bay, Fernhill estates) you would be paying Iredell county and Mooresville city taxes and have city sewer/water etc (but not the schools-there is actually a separate small additional school tax if you live in Mooresville city boundaries and feed into the schools), however many of the SDs have community well water provided by a company and some homes have individual private wells (no water charges-great if you have a yard).These homes will have septic systems.

Not sure how much water costs in California, but our friends have Mooresville city water (live around 3 mins from us) and pay average $100 per month for water for just 2 of them with no watering of the yard.

The schools for all of these areas would be Iredell Statesville Schools.

Muirfield seems like a nice SD in 28115 (Mooroesville graded school district) and there are some nice homes for sale there.

Try searching on this forum for the various cities , school districts etc -there are many posts with lots of info-especially about Mooresville and Lake Norman.

Old 11-15-2011, 12:43 PM

205 posts, read 647,564 times
I would say Mooresville or Davidson. The traffic is terrible but then again anything on the East side of the lake has gotten that way.

Old 11-19-2011, 07:33 AM

67 posts, read 192,708 times
Live in Cornelius w/ toddlers. Love it, granted it's a bit older age-wise and there is a lot of money here. Consider Davidson - def the best Preschools in the area (DCPC, St. Albans) as well. Thinking ahead, you want to feed into Hough High vs. North Meck. We have a lot of friends in Westmorland SD which I think is in your range - very social, lots of kids, pool.

Tons of parks in the area. Work in M-ville & commute is ~15-20 depending on traffic on I-77.

Good luck & welcome.

Old 01-26-2012, 03:03 PM

14 posts, read 19,860 times
We are moving in June to Mooresville, or Cornelius. We are leaning towards Mooresville for the public schools. What summer activities, or day camps should I look into for 9,8 and 5 year old girls to meet other children? Also, if anyone has any opinions/knowledge of the Point subdivisions HOA. We are moving from a neighborhood in Texas where the HOA is a bit crazy with a lot of fighting! Any information about life in Mooresville will be appreciated. We are nervous, but excited!

Old 01-26-2012, 06:10 PM

186 posts, read 436,600 times
I can't speak to Mooresville much other than to say that the traffic on 150 at exit 36 is some of the worst around. Cornelius has lots of parks (Jetton, Ramsey Creek, Bailey) and there are always lots of kids around. Huntersville has Discovery Place Kids, and there always seem to be lots of kids around Birkdale Village. JV Washam and Cornelius Elementary are the elementary schools in the area. I think Mooresville schools probably have the better reputation. For $350,000 you could get a nice home in really any of these areas.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:13 PM

2,028 posts, read 5,430,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kby1108 View Post
I can't speak to Mooresville much other than to say that the traffic on 150 at exit 36 is some of the worst around. Cornelius has lots of parks (Jetton, Ramsey Creek, Bailey) and there are always lots of kids around. Huntersville has Discovery Place Kids, and there always seem to be lots of kids around Birkdale Village. JV Washam and Cornelius Elementary are the elementary schools in the area. I think Mooresville schools probably have the better reputation. For $350,000 you could get a nice home in really any of these areas.
No worse than traffic at Cornelius exit 28 I77 onto West Catawba, or at J25 or 23 at Huntersville.
Mooresville has 3 and (soon to be 4) exits off I77- junctions 31,33 (35) and 36.
The new exit 35 Brawley School Rd is due to open in the Summmer. Brawley leads into The Point and is now 4 lanes from Williamson Rd (exit 33) West. Before exit 35 opens the section East of Williamson to the new junction will be 4 lanes and construction is well under way.
Mooresville has a great YMCA (Lowes) and the downtown is blooming now.

We live off Brawley, but nor in The Point but I understand the HOAs are pretty steep ,although the community ownership has just been handed over to the owners by Crescent resources ,who I believe went into bankruptcy.
I had also heard that owners have to purchase a membership at the club , and that if you wanted to opt out you had to put your name on a waiting list as they only allowed a few peole each year to opt out.
I would check out the details carefully if you are looking seriously. Also not sure if $350,000 will get you into The Point proper.
It would certainly get you a nice house in some of the community type SDs off Brawley though,probably with a deeded boat slip but not waterfront.
I don't really know, but I would have thought that it might not be the best time to buy there????.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte