Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 05:32 PM

693 posts, read 2,177,016 times

Advertisements

Hi there!

I have noticed on the forum that people are often surprised when they move to NC because their water bills are more than expected, and I have confirmed this to be true from people who live in Charlotte and the Charlotte suburbs. We have been told to prepare for it when we move. This comparison is based on people who have experienced lower bills before moving to the Charlotte area from NY, NJ and FL.

Can anyone explain generally why it is that water costs more than it tends to in other states? I am not looking for the "what" it costs as much as the "why" as it would be helpful in settling an ongoing discussion.

Looking forward to your replies. Thanks in advance for your help. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2007, 06:22 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damemeow View Post
Hi there!

I have noticed on the forum that people are often surprised when they move to NC because their water bills are more than expected, and I have confirmed this to be true from people who live in Charlotte and the Charlotte suburbs. We have been told to prepare for it when we move. This comparison is based on people who have experienced lower bills before moving to the Charlotte area from NY, NJ and FL.

Can anyone explain generally why it is that water costs more than it tends to in other states? I am not looking for the "what" it costs as much as the "why" as it would be helpful in settling an ongoing discussion.

Looking forward to your replies. Thanks in advance for your help. :-)
I do not think water is expensive in Charlotte.

Maybe in Union county it is because of the way they have to buy it, but in Charlotte I can't complain. My current bill that I just received for August is $20.73 for the month.

The whole utility bill (which includes water, sewer and storm water) is $72.09.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:10 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,170,476 times
It was much higher for us in Charlotte (and is higher in Union County) that it was in NY. My bill in NY (9 years ago) was about $15.00 a quarter...

Old 09-05-2007, 07:13 PM

199 posts, read 958,474 times
Our whole utility bill in Belmont (Gaston county) is $35 (includes water, sewer and storm water). We're only two people but I don't think that is expensive.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:31 PM

7 posts, read 31,742 times
Default water bills

Water bills are higher b/c we have to pay 2.41 for 100cf of water usage for storm runoff. If you have a sprinkler system it can get very expensive unless you have a meter for the sprinkler and one for the house.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:31 PM

390 posts, read 1,515,866 times
In Charlotte our bill was $35 per month for all three water-related services. In Fort Mill it's $70 - for a 1200 SF apartment. I'd take Charlotte prices anytime.

Old 09-05-2007, 07:35 PM

Location: Some got six month some got one solid. But me and my buddies all got lifetime here
4,555 posts, read 10,410,602 times
With the way things are around here these days you'll be forced into paying a lot less for water.

Old 09-05-2007, 08:11 PM

431 posts, read 1,669,273 times
Union County water prices are ridiculously high!!!! Trust me on this one. If youre planning on properly maintaing a landscape of anything over 1/2 acre your bills can run over $300 per month and might even go above $500......personal experience!

I also have a pool which requires some filling occasionally, and I run 13 zones of irrigation. I pick up my well permit tomorow and should have one installed within 2 weeks. Budgeting $5 Grand for the job. Charging me $9 bucks per ft. Figure I will recoup it in a year. Its really a no brainer for me

Old 09-05-2007, 09:10 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,730,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by U120 View Post
Union County water prices are ridiculously high!!!! Trust me on this one. If youre planning on properly maintaing a landscape of anything over 1/2 acre your bills can run over $300 per month and might even go above $500......personal experience!

I also have a pool which requires some filling occasionally, and I run 13 zones of irrigation. I pick up my well permit tomorow and should have one installed within 2 weeks. Budgeting $5 Grand for the job. Charging me $9 bucks per ft. Figure I will recoup it in a year. Its really a no brainer for me

Unless you can prove you don't have arsenic in your well water, I would steer clear of building a well in Union County. We are ranked #2 (out of 100 counties) in finding cancer causing arsenic in well water here.

Not worth the risk IMO.

newsobserver.com | Water (http://www.newsobserver.com/news/health_science/water/ - broken link)

Old 09-05-2007, 09:35 PM

431 posts, read 1,669,273 times
I dont intend on drinking it. I will be filling my pool on occassion and irrigating. Not certain about pool filters effectiveness against arsenic???? Will research further
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte