Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 11:01 AM

37 posts, read 172,884 times

Advertisements

Hello all, been a lurker here for a long time, always dreamed of moving from NYC.

Here is my deal, my company is willing to move me to Charlotte and keep my NYC salary of about 170k. Needless to say, I am sure it will go much much further in Charlotte then NYC where I have a small small house with very little property. The costs here are insane

Where should I look to live? I want to live in an upscale area with excellent schools for the kids that isn't the 2hr commute I am used to (30-40min would be perfect!) Small town atmosphere would be a HUGE plus.

Few questions:

1) Is 150 thousand a good salary in Charlotte, and would I live well? Cause in NY, i don't feel that at all

2) Where should I look? Mecklenburg seems the most upscale.

3) Would the transition be very hard from the NYC life to Charlotte?

Thank you all for your help. I am hoping to find my peace somewhere out of NY as I can't stand the lifestyle.

-Skipper
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 11:14 AM

255 posts, read 885,441 times
Where exactly are you going to be working? If it's uptown, on that salary, if your single, I would def purchase a condo uptown. You can get something sweet literally right next to the new Bobcats arena.

Edit: saw you mentioned kids so scratch the uptown idea. hehe

Best schools are prob south east Charlotte. But that area is highly populated right now.

All depends on where you will be working I guess. Let us know that and we can help you better.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:14 AM

1,895 posts, read 6,168,237 times
We relocated from NY in 1998 -- I suspect you will find that your money will go a lot further down here. Biggest savings (no surprise) we found was in housing prices and related (property taxes). You should also see a big savings in car insurance. Biggest surprise -- water bill is much higher here.

I would recommend the South Charlotte or Union County areas -- of course these are my areas of expertise You may also want to consider north Charlotte areas (Huntersville, Cornelius) All depends on where your job is located. For sure you can be within an hour of uptown.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:17 AM

1,253 posts, read 4,714,237 times
Wow. That salary is very good for charlotte. If you want to be closer to the city (ie: within 20 minutes) and upscale, you need to look south of the city, specifically, Dilworth, Myers Park, and Southpark. These are the most upscale parts that I know of and are very desirable. The best two high schools in my opinion are also there, Myers Park High being one of them.

These areas are both in Mecklenburg County and within 10-20 minute drive of the city, even during rush hour. Most people love it down here but just realize nothing is the same as NYC. I hate hearing people complain how nothing is as good here as in NYC such as food, arts, clubs, etc. Just know that going in and you will be happy.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankTheTank2 View Post
Wow. That salary is very good for charlotte. If you want to be closer to the city (ie: within 20 minutes) and upscale, you need to look south of the city, specifically, Dilworth, Myers Park, and Southpark. These are the most upscale parts that I know of and are very desirable. The best two high schools in my opinion are also there, Myers Park High being one of them.

These areas are both in Mecklenburg County and within 10-20 minute drive of the city, even during rush hour. Most people love it down here but just realize nothing is the same as NYC. I hate hearing people complain how nothing is as good here as in NYC such as food, arts, clubs, etc. Just know that going in and you will be happy.
My wife and I definetly understand it's different from NYC. Neither of us are big drinkers, into the party scene, etc. We are looking for a nice house with good property that we could live a nice life on. Honestly, we want to get away from that whole NY attitude. In summary, me and my wife HATE NYC and are here only cause of the opportunities in business.

as for location, I would be probably working around the BOA Stadium and if that job doesn't work out I would prob be working for Wachovia or BOA eventually

i don't want my work location to drive where I live. (Reminds me too much of nyc... where everything nice is 2 hours away and 1m dollars.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:47 AM

367 posts, read 1,029,247 times
Well, that is x2 my salary and we bought a 3000 sq foot house on 1/3 an acre and my wife is a stay at home Mom. You should be able to buy into really nice developments with up to an acre lot for $500,000 +. You can live really well here on that salary, unless you are in dept up to your neck already Union County is crowded but has nice areas in your price range.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:55 AM

It seems I should look in the Myers Park, Dilworth, Union, Southpark areas :-)

After reading deeper into the forums, it seems that Crime is a major major issue with Charlotte, that is discouraging to say the least... And the air quality seems horrendous compared to other 'best places to live'

Old 08-29-2007, 11:58 AM

255 posts, read 885,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arghh View Post
It seems I should look in the Myers Park, Dilworth, Union, Southpark areas :-)
Yup that's my suggestion.

Minus Union, that's a completely different area (county for that matter) and way too far from BoA downtown...

So Myers Park, Dilworth and Southpark areas. But be warned. You can blow a huge chunk of coin on real estate in those areas. Those are prob some of the nicest areas in Charlotte. Def get a top notch realtor to assist you guys.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:01 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,376,134 times
Parts of Union County are very upscale...I know what we bought would have been at least 650k in NJ and well lets just say I didnt spend anywhere near that..anyway, with that salary it will go pretty far...Income Taxes are alot less, Property Taxes for Now, car ins etc...however food shopping that is another story...I will say YOU dont need to spend anywhere near million dollars for a beautiful home and neighborhood...It also depends on how much you want to spend...we bought a 3125 sq home with a beautiful back yard, on about .34 acre
S.charlotte as well is very nice, Ballantyne Area is very upscale as well...for newer....Myers Park you will get a older home that chances are will have to be redone, and it is a bit expensive there, but beautiful....

good luck...

Its beautiful here and we wish we would have moved here years ago..

Old 08-29-2007, 12:04 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,376,134 times
My dh commutes uptown 2x a week now and it takes him in the morning 45 minutes...depending on what time he leaves, and coming home its about the same also depending on when he is leaving....the commute isnt that bad, but im right at the border of Union and S.Charlotte...so depending on where in union you are it will take up to an hour...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte