Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 09:52 AM

38 posts, read 83,901 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering if anybody on here knew if there were going to be any sort of new book stores opening up in the Monroe, Indian Trail, Sun Valley, or Matthews area anytime soon. Or anywhere near those areas in NC.
I think that there needs to be a Barnes and Noble closer to those districts.
I am aware of all the Barnes and Noble bookseller's we actually have, the one at the Arboretum, the one in Carolina Place Mall, and all the other ones in those malls. And I am aware of the used book stores around here such as The Book Lady in Monroe, NC and although it is shut down know, I knew about Books and Quills in Indian Trail, NC. But I was just wondering if anybody knew of anymore used and/or new book stores in or around those areas or if anybody knew if there were going to be perhaps another Barnes and Noble opening up closer to those areas. There is quite a lot of space down at Poplin Place in Monroe and I think it would be the perfect area for a Barnes and Noble or any other book stores that would like to open.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 10:03 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,607,644 times
Good luck with B&N opening any new stores.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:05 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,019,218 times
That would be a tough market for a Barnes and Noble. I think Books A Million might be a more likely candidate. Unfortunately, the book business has been decimated in the last decade and there have been tons of closings.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:28 AM

2,152 posts, read 6,798,790 times
I doubt you'll see many bookstores open anymore with the new digital age and people downloading. It's a lot easier to download to your Kindle or Nook than to drive to a store. If you don't have an E - Reader you can just order online from Amazon and have it shipped to you in a few days.

Old 03-21-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Ryan View Post
I doubt you'll see many bookstores open anymore with the new digital age and people downloading. It's a lot easier to download to your Kindle or Nook than to drive to a store. If you don't have an E - Reader you can just order online from Amazon and have it shipped to you in a few days.
There's still some market for bookstores, but I think the focus for them has to be more on selling the "experience" as much as the actual books. I see tons of people in the bookstores around town. But mostly, they're drinking coffee in the cafes and browsing magazines and books from the collection (which they don't buy).

Old 03-21-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Ryan View Post
Yep, isn't it great?

Old 03-21-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Yep, isn't it great?
I love Amazon. But there's just something romantic about a dusty used book shop. I guess sentimentality and economic reality are strange bedfellows.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:33 PM

Have you looked at local Goodwils and The REStore in Matthews? REStore is run by Habitat for Humanity and is similar to Goodwill. Lots of used books at those places.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
I love Amazon. But there's just something romantic about a dusty used book shop. I guess sentimentality and economic reality are strange bedfellows.
Agreed. I love Amazon as well. I got a Kindle Fire for Christmas last year and I love it dearly. Although seeing as books on the Kindle cost just as much as Paperback and/or hardback books, it's hard for me to buy it on something digital which I know could go away at any time. There is definitely something romantic, magical, inspiring about a dusty used book shop. And the same goes for actually having the books at my house. I love to look up at my bookshelves and see all the books that I have read. The free classics on the Kindle Fire have made me read a whole lot of older books too though. So that's been a plus for me.

Old 03-21-2012, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Have you looked at local Goodwils and The REStore in Matthews? REStore is run by Habitat for Humanity and is similar to Goodwill. Lots of used books at those places.
Yeah, I have been too quite a lot of Goodwill's to look for books but never really found any. I did find one book the last time I was there, one that I had been looking for and it was in very good condition for 99 cent. Regularly it would have cost me 9.99 plus tax at any local book store. Haven't been to any REStore's..I'll have to check that out. Thanks for that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte