Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 06:33 PM

9 posts, read 29,242 times

Advertisements

From long island, looking to bye a home in BRIARCREST anyone with any help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2007, 06:35 PM

396 posts, read 1,630,512 times
We met some of the residents when we were out house-hunting in Union Co. and they were extremely nice. Looks like lots of younger kids. Very helpful sales staff and nice amenities. The wooded lots in the back are great. Good luck.

Old 03-27-2007, 08:35 PM

5 posts, read 20,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcdade6 View Post
From long island, looking to bye a home in BRIARCREST anyone with any help?
I have a friend that lives in Briacrest in Union County, I purchased a home down the road in Wesley Oaks and stayed at his house for a few days and it was very nice. I can provide you with a great contact whom will help answer all of your questions. Send me an email [moderator cut: keep contact info in profile[/mod]

Old 03-28-2007, 05:43 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,830,230 times
Do I need to bump the McCar home thread? LOL Don't buy a McCar home. Use the search function and look up McCar. You'll see there are a lot of disgruntled homeowners.

Old 03-28-2007, 05:46 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,830,230 times
I just looked and the long McCar thread has been locked so I cannot bump it. Like I said, use the Search function and look for McCar. It will pop up.

Old 03-28-2007, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaylahc View Post
I just looked and the long McCar thread has been locked so I cannot bump it. Like I said, use the Search function and look for McCar. It will pop up.
WOW, now I am very happy I did not purchase a McCar Home. I have a friend that moved in to his new home about 2 months ago and thus far has no complaints.

I don't want to sound lazy as I could run my own search but how are the reviews for Centex Homes - Wesley Oaks? That is where I will be moving into at the end of April.

Old 03-28-2007, 08:59 PM

2 posts, read 7,598 times
I'm formerly from Long Island, own a McCar Home in Briarcrest, and I am very happy with it so far. I've seen many complaints about McCar on this site but have also seen many complaints about every builder in the Charlotte area. Lets face it - if you purchase a new home you want it perfect and any little thing is going to bother you. The truth is that all of these national builders outsource all of the work to independent crews for each trade. Since many houses in many developments are being built by the same national builder there will obviously be different contractors and laborers at each site.

My advice is to point out as many flaws as possible at each walk through and follow up to make sure they are rectified (they will try to rush you through this process). Also take a good look at your Home Owners Assoc rules/regs to see what you can and can not do to your own property since you are in a development. Also review the warranty for what is included and for how long. This will save heartache down the road.

What sold me was the size of the lot for the amt of money, the floor plan, and the lay out of the neighborhood. I've also spoken to most of my neighbors and no one has any complaints that would be worthy of a post.

Old 03-28-2007, 09:59 PM

It's true with regards to these National builders outsourcing all of the work, there are always going to be issues but in my eyes what counts is the customer service following your purchase.

The inspections are very important, many people informed me not to hire my own inspector during the pre-drywall inspection but I decided to work with HomeMasters and I have to say for $300 he identified many issues which I myself would have never known.

McCar Homes has an outstanding reputation for some of the value added services and options included in there homes. Options included in the base include a complete sprinkler system, the back yards are very flat and large, the layouts are designed to keep that open flow throughout each home and they are very affordable. There was one home that had 3 floors over 3500sqft and was under $360k fully loaded with every option, for those who have already purchased, that is very competitive.

I bought in Centex and I can tell you for the sprinkler system it would of cost me an additonal $8k, backyard is flat and then I have a big slope so the water can drain, the interior of the homes in BriarCrest I would admit are nicer then in my development.

So as some complain about various things, to me the costs savings, and added options go a long way in my eyes.

Old 03-29-2007, 09:42 AM

189 posts, read 580,107 times
People need to remember that most people who are happy do not post their happiness on message boards. McCar is not a perfect builder, but they all have problems. For the price level the homes are very good. People expect perfection and unfortunately this does not occur on custom built new homes.

Just remember to track and document all issues with any builder. Visit the home site and talk to their salespeople, building manager, etc. All feedback is helpful, but it would be silly to let the feedback from this forum alone make a decision for you on such a major purchase.

Old 03-29-2007, 10:47 AM

93 posts, read 393,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew0020 View Post
People need to remember that most people who are happy do not post their happiness on message boards. McCar is not a perfect builder, but they all have problems. For the price level the homes are very good. People expect perfection and unfortunately this does not occur on custom built new homes.

Just remember to track and document all issues with any builder. Visit the home site and talk to their salespeople, building manager, etc. All feedback is helpful, but it would be silly to let the feedback from this forum alone make a decision for you on such a major purchase.
I agree. Take everything read here with a grain of salt and make an informed decision based on what you've read and researched about ANY builder. Agreed, too, that absolute perfection will not happen even in a custom home. Humans build homes...errors will inevitably occur. They should, however, be minor.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte