Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 10:13 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,509,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by diertac View Post

I'd change the title of the thread if I could... but I can't. Thank you Native_Son!
I can change title of your thread for you, just let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2012, 10:14 AM

714 posts, read 2,306,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I can change title of your thread for you, just let me know.
How about Gah! (NOT A) Copperhead?

Thanks!

Old 03-21-2012, 11:26 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,220,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diertac View Post
OK... OK... with the husband's help here is a photo. No yellow tail, that I can see. Pattern doesn't look like a copperhead either. It really is quite tiny. Maybe a brown snake? What do you think?

Vmax do you live in my neighborhood?

I'd change the title of the thread if I could... but I can't. Thank you Native_Son!
Those are very common in our area. The irony of that statement is that I've lived in this house for nearly 12 years and this is the first snake I've seen. Fortunately for both me and the snake, I don't fear snakes. I've had three as pets...err...exhibits...and know that most around here are harmless. Brown snakes eat slugs among other unpleasant things. I wish I could tie him up next to my house to keep the slugs off my deck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Looks like a brown. Don't think you can MAKE those things bite...
You can't, I tried. He just backed up further and further, and kept sniffing with his tongue.

The cats had put a few small holes in him, so I hope he's OK.

Old 03-21-2012, 12:31 PM

123 posts, read 217,997 times
Oh my gosh....our 5 lb. Pomeranian came to the back door yesterday with a snake. Looked liked a noodle hanging out of both sides of his mouth. I thought it was a garden snake. Maybe I should have taken a better look. Yes, I'd be freaking out if I were you, too. Make sure they check the inside of your house, too. I heard of snakes coming in the house. Till the exterminator comes out, sleep with one eye open. Hope they are able to solve your snake problem and everyone is safe.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:12 PM

268 posts, read 743,903 times
That's sad that anyone thought that was a copperhead. Even sadder if a pest control provider told you he could do a treatment
to discourage snakes. There simply IS NO SUCH THING. You can do as well as ANY PEST CONTROL PROVIDER can with mothballs
or moth flakes. There is no real snake repellent. What's more, you should not be worried about them. Gross for some
people to SEE but very good for the overall health of your yard. (by the way, I am in pest control, but in Memphis, sorry)

Outside of that, keeping your yard free of clutter or trash that attracts rats and mice is the best solution, not to mention
providing places for the snakes themselves to hide. Save your money, cancel the pest control. That snake is as harmless
as they come. IT MAY have even died because there is no food in your area, which would be doubly good for no-snakes.
But it likely got run over.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:20 PM

1,055 posts, read 2,127,117 times
Well, it is Spring and the snakes are coming out of their holes. And yes, there are plenty Copperheads in the Charlotte area. I've personally only seen less than 10 in my 4+ decades here, but know plenty others that see them. Wood piles, and rock piles are there biggest hangouts.

Old 03-21-2012, 02:20 PM

714 posts, read 2,306,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfromNO View Post
That's sad that anyone thought that was a copperhead. Even sadder if a pest control provider told you he could do a treatment
to discourage snakes. There simply IS NO SUCH THING. You can do as well as ANY PEST CONTROL PROVIDER can with mothballs
or moth flakes. There is no real snake repellent. What's more, you should not be worried about them. Gross for some
people to SEE but very good for the overall health of your yard. (by the way, I am in pest control, but in Memphis, sorry)

Outside of that, keeping your yard free of clutter or trash that attracts rats and mice is the best solution, not to mention
providing places for the snakes themselves to hide. Save your money, cancel the pest control. That snake is as harmless
as they come. IT MAY have even died because there is no food in your area, which would be doubly good for no-snakes.
Thank you Pest Control Man (TM).

I think it did get run over.

What you're saying is similar to what the pest control people told me. She actually said, "If you have a snake problem you likely have a mouse problem." And then she said "Well we CAN sprinkle things if needed as an additional service if they're really a problem."

This was all before I fully saw the size of the snake.

Can I just sprinkle mothballs along the line that goes by the woods? Just to keep the big bad snakes at bay but keep in the ones that come from around the 'hood?

Appreciate your input!

Old 03-21-2012, 03:47 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,728,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradfromNO View Post

Brad beat me to it. The best defense is a pristine yard. No place for rodents and or snakes to hide. As much as I hate to say this, don't feed birds and don't put up bird house. The bird house is a climbing snakes buffet. Bird seed gets knocked on ground, rodents come for the seed, snakes come for the rodents.

That and keep clutter picked up. I would forget the moth balls and potents, by the way/

Old 03-21-2012, 06:52 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,224,671 times
My pest control guy, Jeff Johnston Pest Control, told me that Snake-A-Way is simply naphthalene and sulfer. It is supposed to repel by scent and by touch. He also said he doesnt think it's effective against most of the species we have here! (He's very ethical!)

Old 03-21-2012, 10:31 PM

1,055 posts, read 2,127,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
As much as I hate to say this, don't feed birds and don't put up bird house. The bird house is a climbing snakes buffet. Bird seed gets knocked on ground, rodents come for the seed, snakes come for the rodents.
This huge black snake climbed straight up the wall, 3 floors up, to get to my feeder!!
Attached Thumbnails
Gah! (NOT A) Copperhead?-snake-habersham2001.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte