Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2006, 05:44 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,087,841 times

Advertisements

This might seem like a trivial question ...

If all goes well and we close on our home on schedule, my boys could possibly end up beginning school on Halloween.

We don't typically "celebrate" Halloween although they would both love to ...

I was not even planning on purchasing a costume for either of them and trick or treating is always out of the question.

BUT, do the schools typically have some sort of celebration/party? Will parents send treats to be passed out at school? Will the kids be dressed in costume?

We'll be moving to Union County. My basic concern is my kids feeling out of place. If the other kids are headed to school in costume, then I'll agree to allow them to be costumed (appropriately) too since I don't have moral objections to Halloween.

I'll call the school district when we get closer to the time in question, but I was just wondering if anyone had knowledge/comments immediately.

I just want them to be comfortable, happy.

Thanks!

SL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2006, 07:58 PM

872 posts, read 3,585,446 times
Schools won't allow costumes 'cause it violates the dress code polcy. And it really depends on the teacher if he/she will do anything with halloween or not, but nothing more than like learning the history of halloween or something to that extent. They will usually give some candy to their students though.

Old 09-20-2006, 08:33 PM

348 posts, read 430,431 times
defintely ask the teacher/school. You don't specify what age/grade your kid is, but my kid was encouraged to dress for halloween. But he's a little one at this stage.

You will find, however, that halloween is a pretty big deal round these parts. Lots of kids doing the trick or treat thing, and houses really getting dressed up in all the halloween ghoulish stuff.

There 's a big ol' house right around the block from me that is quite famous for their halloween (and Christmas) decor. For halloween they do the whole smoke, lound screaming sounds, big webs, and flashing lights thing. People come from all over to see their halloween day display. Its pretty cool. Big scale type of stuff. Literally the whole block fills up with smoke from their fog machine! They usually appear in the Observer for one of those houses to check out.

I dunno....kinda makes me wish I was a kid again!

:-)

Old 09-20-2006, 09:30 PM

1,726 posts, read 5,862,227 times
Why is trick or treating out of the question?

That was one of my fondest memories of childhood.

Geez.

Old 09-20-2006, 10:30 PM

1,865 posts, read 5,379,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaf View Post
defintely ask the teacher/school. You don't specify what age/grade your kid is, but my kid was encouraged to dress for halloween. But he's a little one at this stage.

You will find, however, that halloween is a pretty big deal round these parts. Lots of kids doing the trick or treat thing, and houses really getting dressed up in all the halloween ghoulish stuff.

There 's a big ol' house right around the block from me that is quite famous for their halloween (and Christmas) decor. For halloween they do the whole smoke, lound screaming sounds, big webs, and flashing lights thing. People come from all over to see their halloween day display. Its pretty cool. Big scale type of stuff. Literally the whole block fills up with smoke from their fog machine! They usually appear in the Observer for one of those houses to check out.

OOOOOHHHH...YEAH!!!! I LOVE HALLOWEEN!!! We always had the spooky house on the block too. Can't wait to start decorating here.

Where is this house located that you mentioned here?? I'd love to go check them out??

BxRosie

Last edited by Marka; 09-21-2006 at 06:28 AM.. Reason: repaired code

Old 09-21-2006, 07:41 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain_time_Blues View Post
Schools won't allow costumes 'cause it violates the dress code polcy. And it really depends on the teacher if he/she will do anything with halloween or not, but nothing more than like learning the history of halloween or something to that extent. They will usually give some candy to their students though.
To me, this is really sad. Some of my best memories of elementary school are the Halloween festivities and the Christmas and Valentines Day parties.
I am not anti-public school at all (in fact, I am a huge supporter of it) but, for these reasons, among other bigger ones, I am glad my kids went to Catholic school. I will never forget the year Power Rangers were so big, every boy in my sons kindergarten class came to school dressed as a Power Ranger for Halloween that year

Old 09-21-2006, 08:02 AM

2,115 posts, read 7,087,841 times
Thanks for the response guys ...

My boys are 8 and 12 (very delayed).

Here in Jersey it varies by district although very few seem to allow costumes to be worn due to dress codes.

Some of the younger grades permit the costumes to be transported to school, the kids get to don them at an appropriate time and then they parade around the school yard. Parents are usually invited to attend/watch, and the kids go home immediately afterwards.

It's not an important issue for us here. However, with the move, and the kids having to make such big adjustments all the way around, I simply want to make the transition easier on them in any way that I can.

Thank you all again.

SL

Old 09-21-2006, 08:19 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
My aunt lives near Charlotte and I asked her about this on the phone tonight as I had to call her anyway. She said it's apparently very varied around there. Some folks celebrate it like it's a spooky Christmas, and on the flipside there are some freaky religious people who think their kids will become the spawn of satan if they wear a costume.

Likewise she said her neighbor who has kids once told her a few of the above mentioned over-the-edge parents were giving her kid's school a hard time about celebrating it due to the religious stuff over it. So as you said you're going to do, it's probably best to just call the school they'll actually be going to and ask the specifics as apparently it varies a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte