Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 05:18 PM

269 posts, read 1,057,229 times

Advertisements

As long as I can keep the drive under 45 minutes or so, I'm ok - and ideally I'd like to find 10+ acres (maybe even 5), a home and barn without spending crazy money. Good schools are also a priority as I have 2 daughters in elementary and one in middle school.

I have a job offer and we are considering a move up very soon from Tampa, FL and bringing the horses. Everything I've read says that housing prices are a bit less expensive, so I assume it will be do-able - but could anyone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2007, 05:41 PM

241 posts, read 755,879 times
Longer you wait, the more you will spend. Get in while the gettin' is good...The growth continues to expand into all counties surrounding Charlotte. I am sure you can find reasonably prices land somewhere! I wont be saying that in 5-10 years..
Quote:
Originally Posted by scamutz View Post
As long as I can keep the drive under 45 minutes or so, I'm ok - and ideally I'd like to find 10+ acres (maybe even 5), a home and barn without spending crazy money. Good schools are also a priority as I have 2 daughters in elementary and one in middle school.

I have a job offer and we are considering a move up very soon from Tampa, FL and bringing the horses. Everything I've read says that housing prices are a bit less expensive, so I assume it will be do-able - but could anyone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Old 10-03-2007, 05:56 PM

390 posts, read 1,515,655 times
If you want that drive, stick to something in Gaston County or Lincoln County (although that's pushing it for that commute time). Cabarrus, Union and York Counties will all have the acreage you're looking for, but the drive will be longer. You may also want to try the Mint Hill area - they seem to have a lot of acreage for sale over there and it's a lovely area.

Would your job offer have you working uptown or in another area of town? That makes a big difference in your drive time.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by megassel View Post
If you want that drive, stick to something in Gaston County or Lincoln County (although that's pushing it for that commute time). Cabarrus, Union and York Counties will all have the acreage you're looking for, but the drive will be longer. You may also want to try the Mint Hill area - they seem to have a lot of acreage for sale over there and it's a lovely area.

Would your job offer have you working uptown or in another area of town? That makes a big difference in your drive time.
It's kind of tough to narrow it down at this point....I'd probably end up in Concord, but possibly Fort Mill

Old 10-03-2007, 07:25 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,213,523 times
Quote:
It's kind of tough to narrow it down at this point....I'd probably end up in Concord, but possibly Fort Mill
oh heck if you end up working in Fort Mill...we'll have all kinds of suggestions for you over on the SC side of this site (under York County/Lancaster County).

But I will also add...that an apx. price point will also help these fine folks offer up other areas for you to check into too.

Old 10-03-2007, 08:30 PM

20 posts, read 70,501 times
We have 2 children, 2 horses, 2 careers, etc. and made the decision to try an equestrian neighborhood and love it! We get the benefits of a neighborhood for the children, we can have the horses on our property, there are riding areas, trails, barn, and pasture as a part of the neighborhood, and we get a decent commute at a fraction of the cost (and required time for upkeep) of larger individual tracts.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:14 PM

9,848 posts, read 30,286,677 times
Quote:

Thanks!
What's your definition of affordable?

Old 10-03-2007, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
What's your definition of affordable?
Well, I don't really have a clue yet what I'm looking at as far as pricing up there...but I'd like to keep the total home (2500-3000 sf or so would be enough)/land package under 500k...that said, if I could find it for 350, I'd be absolutely giddy.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:02 AM

3,662 posts, read 9,668,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandykatan View Post
We have 2 children, 2 horses, 2 careers, etc. and made the decision to try an equestrian neighborhood and love it! We get the benefits of a neighborhood for the children, we can have the horses on our property, there are riding areas, trails, barn, and pasture as a part of the neighborhood, and we get a decent commute at a fraction of the cost (and required time for upkeep) of larger individual tracts.
Equestrian neighborhoods are great. Which one do you live in?

Old 10-06-2007, 08:55 PM

20 posts, read 70,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_guy View Post
Equestrian neighborhoods are great. Which one do you live in?

Black Horse Run, just south of Ballantyne in Indian Land, SC. It is the only neighborhood that we have found in the area that is zoned to allow horses on your property while still being a complete neighborhood with all the amenities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte