Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2012, 03:13 PM

54 posts, read 151,568 times

Advertisements

From a national perspective, the Charlotte region has long enjoyed a reputation for being a great place to raise a family. Is this still the case in 2012? I've read city-data threads on Charlotte dating back from '06 - '08, and the posts are nearly unanimously positive. However, more recent posts indicate that Charlotte may not be as family-friendly as it once was.

So... what's the deal on greater Charlotte as a destination for young families?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 06:44 PM

10 posts, read 18,452 times
Charlotte is a place for those who want a bland, style, housing plan with no soul or character. It's a place of homogeneous sprawl of mediocre America at it's worst. A place where average boring Americans with no character would see themselves raising an average boring American family with little excitement or culture.

Old 04-07-2012, 06:54 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDrinksAlot View Post
Charlotte is a place for those who want a bland, style, housing plan with no soul or character. It's a place of homogeneous sprawl of mediocre America at it's worst. A place where average boring Americans with no character would see themselves raising an average boring American family with little excitement or culture.
Geez,

I actually think I have pretty good looks, and more than a little character too

Old 04-07-2012, 06:56 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick808 View Post
From a national perspective, the Charlotte region has long enjoyed a reputation for being a great place to raise a family. Is this still the case in 2012? I've read city-data threads on Charlotte dating back from '06 - '08, and the posts are nearly unanimously positive. However, more recent posts indicate that Charlotte may not be as family-friendly as it once was.

The reality is, Charlotte is not the city I raised my 20-something kids in any more, but it can still be a good place to call home

My kids will probably raise some grandchildren in Charlotte one day, and they could do a lot worse than staying Charlotte to do that.

Old 04-07-2012, 08:35 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,256,347 times
Try Union County. Its very family oriented and suburban. Its also much more conservative than Charlotte, which if you are looking for a family-friendly destination that is probably a good thing to you. Its a good mix of city and country and its a very short drive to Charlotte and all it offers. I recommend the Indian Trail-Stallings area.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:06 AM

57 posts, read 132,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick808 View Post

Absolutely. Check out Lake Norman area including Huntersville, Cornelius, and around the Concord Mall area of Northeast Charlotte including southern Cabarrus county. My opinion you will find better value and more opportunity for property values to increase.

Old 04-11-2012, 10:30 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDrinksAlot View Post
...and yet, you are in a Charlotte thread
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte