Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 11:45 AM

146 posts, read 295,107 times

Advertisements

We are making a trip to Charlotte for a quick get-away, arriving on a Saturday. We're planning to spend 3 days at Courtyard in Uptown Charlotte.

We want to visit museums on Sunday and maybe walk from the Mint Museum to the Levine Museum. I assume the downtown area is much less crowded on weekends, especially Sunday.

I have no concerns about a weekday, but is the downtown (uptown) area safe to walk around on weekends? What's the general feel of the area? Are stores and shops open? For instance, are the Starbucks open? I ask because I've seen city downtown areas just completely close up, with no people or businesses open on weekends!

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 11:51 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,022,286 times
It's perfectly safe. Most of the restaurants are open but some of the retail shops (like the drug store for instance) might be closed. The Starbucks on Tryon is definitely open. More than 10,000 people live downtown here, so it doesn't close down completely on the weekends.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:03 PM

146 posts, read 295,107 times
Coped - thanks! this is exactly what I needed and wanted to hear. We're looking forward to our trip.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:15 PM

958 posts, read 1,725,228 times
Good day to go Uptown if you don't want to mess with traffic and people.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:29 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
I've been downtown(sorry, it's downtown) a few times on Sunday and unless it's football season it's pretty much a ghost town. Maybe the weather will bring more people out but it seems like every time I'm there on a Sunday I bump into a couple from out of town...

and they always ask me "what is there to do on Sundays" LOL...

Downtown Charlotte is nice on the weekends. You will feel safe on Saturday and Sunday... it's more crowded on Saturday but it's a city. In my opinion I think Saturday would be the best day to get a true feeling of how nice Charlotte is and going on a Sunday would limit your experience.

Old 04-13-2012, 08:38 AM

183 posts, read 383,954 times
Make sure you go here!

Discovery Place » Charlotte's Fun, Family-Friendly Science Museum

Old 04-13-2012, 09:02 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,136,713 times
I agree with feltdesigner, it's a ghost town on Sunday. We couldn't even find a place to eat close to the museums. Well,I should clarify, we couldn't find a reasonably priced place. I didn't even check if the fancy places were open, but everything else was not.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:22 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
I agree with feltdesigner, it's a ghost town on Sunday. We couldn't even find a place to eat close to the museums. Well,I should clarify, we couldn't find a reasonably priced place. I didn't even check if the fancy places were open, but everything else was not.
yep, and even if you do find a place to eat it will be empty...

If this is what the OP desired than Sunday is a great day to do it but please.... please.. don't bash Charlotte for being empty on Sunday. LOL.

Old 04-13-2012, 09:27 AM

777 posts, read 2,568,582 times
Everywhere is a ghost town on Sundays (except for church). You can go the worlds busiest Target at 10am on Sunday and be one of the 15 people in there!

If you can't find a good place to eat uptown on a sunday morning/afternoon, hit the light rail to SouthEnd. Plenty of options there (although beware, when churches let out, some of the popular places get slammed).

Old 04-13-2012, 10:06 AM

3,115 posts, read 7,136,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InSouthPark View Post
Everywhere is a ghost town on Sundays (except for church). You can go the worlds busiest Target at 10am on Sunday and be one of the 15 people in there!

If you can't find a good place to eat uptown on a sunday morning/afternoon, hit the light rail to SouthEnd. Plenty of options there (although beware, when churches let out, some of the popular places get slammed).
That's exactly what we did, and there were more people out and about in Dilworth/ south end than we saw uptown. Didn't make it any less of an enjoyable time, just wasn't expecting it to be so quiet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte