Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 07:54 PM

99 posts, read 522,395 times

Advertisements

What are the best places to Ski near Charlotte?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2007, 09:17 PM

316 posts, read 395,475 times
We actually went to Hawksnest today to go tubing - my kids are young! It as awesome - Sugar has the most slopes open - Appalachian has the best snaow boarding - Beech is the worst - All in Banner Elk (except App )

Old 12-28-2007, 12:26 AM

905 posts, read 3,455,412 times
I am an avid skier and I prefer Beech over Sugar any day! More lift capacity and a high speed lift to get folks up the mountain and better runs. . Nicer village by far. Only problem its the furthest of any slopes in that area.

Another option is Winterplace, straight up I-77, a little further but an easy drive.

Old 12-28-2007, 07:02 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,555,926 times
Always go to the slopes with the Highest Elevations. Beech Mountain #1 and Sugar Mountain #2. They will have the best ski conditions. Sometimes it will be a cold rain in Boone and snowing at Beech & Sugar Mountains due to the elevation. Plan on 1hr 45min to Sugar Mountain and 2hrs to Beech Mountain (approximate).

ENJOY!

Old 12-28-2007, 07:28 AM

1,521 posts, read 4,953,265 times
Head to WV well worth the ride for the experience

Old 12-28-2007, 09:28 AM

2,560 posts, read 8,555,926 times
West Va is good. Snowshoe would be the best but a 5 to 5 1/2 hr drive. Winterplace would be next and about a 3hr drive (right beside I-77 though).

Old 12-28-2007, 02:39 PM

316 posts, read 395,475 times
Default oops

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRock View Post
I am an avid skier and I prefer Beech over Sugar any day! More lift capacity and a high speed lift to get folks up the mountain and better runs. . Nicer village by far. Only problem its the furthest of any slopes in that area.

Another option is Winterplace, straight up I-77, a little further but an easy drive.
Mee too! (an Avid skier) I also like Beech - I was just talking about the current conditions (# of slopes currently open)

Old 02-01-2008, 10:27 PM

249 posts, read 875,230 times
On paper, Sugar looks better.... longer runs, higher peak. Is this not really true? I am heading up next week and trying to decide between the two for skiing/snowboarding. How about weekend crowds? Any one better than the other for getting the most time on the slopes as possible?

I've never been to either so looking for the opinions of those with first hand experience. Distance is not an issue as I will be staying 3 nights in the area.

Old 02-02-2008, 06:31 AM

905 posts, read 3,455,412 times
If you are in the area for 3 nights try Beech, & Sugar, that way you can sample both and see for yourself. The weekend will be crowded, try to be there when the lifts open so you can get lots of runs in b4 the crowds get on the slopes. I would choose Beech over Sugar because they have a high speed quad lift to the top. Sugar serves the top of the mountain with a really slow double lift.

Let us know your impressions when you get back. Be safe!

Old 02-02-2008, 10:23 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,838,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Charlotte View Post
On paper, Sugar looks better.... longer runs, higher peak. Is this not really true?

While Sugar's numbers usually look great on the web or on paper, I've found them to be exaggerated on several occasions. Very thin base or even mud present on the runs when the snow report says 60"+ base. Sugar does have the longer run of the local areas, but there is/was that annoygin flat spot at the 1/2 unload station that could have you walking if you're on a board or have no poles to push yourself forward. This would mainly be the case if someone ran out in front of you causing you to slow down too much. Those are the main reasons I don't go to Sugar anymore.

As far as the crowds, they're going to be thick on the weekends and holidays. Weekdays aren't too bad at all.

One gripe I have about Beech is that the top is mostly unprotected and is subject to some nasty winds. It can easily feel 30 degrees colder at the top than even half way up...or colder.

If you feel like the extra drive time, Snowshoe is definately worth the ride in my opinion. More runs, better variety or terrain, and a neat little village at the top.

Locally, I'd rank Beech at the top, then Sugar, then Hawksnest and Appalachain would be close.

There is also Cataloochee and a few other areas that aren't too far away.

If you go to Beech, be sure to go down Oz Run at least once. It;s a pretty nice little ride that doesn't get hit too often compared to the others. The only bad thing is that the lift is slooooooow.

Have fun and stay warm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte