Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 02:30 PM

153 posts, read 195,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post
Movie theater. Seriously.
How odd. That was one of the only signs we saw, but we didn't think that'd be it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 03:25 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,681,934 times
So how did the interview go?

Old 07-02-2012, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
So how did the interview go?
AMAZING. She was wonderfully nice. I had prepared way above and beyond what was necessary. I had an example or reason for everything, was never caught off guard, and didn't have to answer the regular "what are your strengths and weaknesses, etc" questions. The office was great, the amenities were great, and if she's the head of HR, I can only imagine that the corporate culture is laid-back and friendly. I really enjoyed it, I don't think it could have gone any better.

I didn't really get a feel for how I compared to the other candidates. I may have even been the first interview. I have no idea whether I'm on to the next level or not, but I got a good feeling.

Old 07-04-2012, 01:25 PM

OMG I've already typed this out twice. May be a little shorter than the last two times.

Uptown: we liked that it's relatively small and the grid design. We walked around EpiCenter and TW Arena, met up with his family at Lebowski's (good, fast, relatively unique menu items - we'll probably return), went and parked at the Observer and walked north and then east... all the way back to TW Arena. On the way back we went through mostly the over-the-road tunnels. We though that was really cool, but, don't they kind of limit business? Anyway, we absolutely loved EpiCenter and Uptown, in general, but where is all the history? Seems like everything is brand new. But, we didn't explore much of 1st or 4th wards, and isn't that a lot "older"? And all I can say is wtf on the parking. The building I interviewed at would cost $125, $!45, or $185 a month to park.. but it's right in front of the rail and a bus hub. Still, the unlimited monthly passes for public transportation don't seem all that cheap, either.

Ballantyne: it's obviously nice. However, what are people thinking with these .2 acre houses on .22 acre lots? Jesus. Not only is there NO yard in the back, there's also 2 feet between neighboring houses.. and they cost half a million dollars. No thanks. Not sure if this is because of the area, but we ate at Zapata's there and it seemed pricey. Plus, there was no a la carte menu section, but they did let me order a la carte. They were VERY nice.. but sooo slow, which was especially terrible, because after dinner we had a 4 hour drive.

Ayrsley/Whitehall/Steele Creek area: nice, new, obviously very planned. Doesn't seem too congested yet, but seems nice and affordable enough that I'm sure it's growing rapidly. We've been looking at living in this area. Seems the commute is about 20 minutes to Uptown/45 during rush hour. Correct? We like the accessibility to Uptown, the light rail, the lake, the airport, and SC/GA for visiting family.

The people were all super nice and there was a lot more Southern hospitality than I expected in a city full of transplants. Lots better driving, too.. nothing like Atlanta and Florida. There were definitely some less than desirable parts, such as when we left Uptown to go look at Belk's corporate offices and continued from there to Whitehall. I'm guessing we went into West Charlotte, where I was previously wondering why a 4 br built in 2008 was selling for 48k. There was basically no traffic and hardly anyone in Uptown other than Shriners and what I'm guessing were service/retail workers in between shifts. And valets that came flying around the block and would literally run back to the front.. that looked miserable. I would love to see Uptown on a weekday. Only problems were that we only had a day and a night, basically, to look around, and we missed South Charlotte between Ballantyne and Uptown (because we stuck with 485 to 77), South End (especially at night), and University City (major bummer because we've thought a lot about living there).

Old 07-04-2012, 03:41 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
LOL at Tue comment on parking and yard sizes.

I hate trying Higgins parking in Uptown.. especially when there is a football game or basketball game. I know they are trying to make money for the parking decks but there is zero reason for capping the street meters. its a city.. lot us park on the street.

I looked at a real nice house that had the perfect layout and price but the back yard was 4 ft wide and I could touch the neighbors house from the back window. I'm exaggerating a bit but these new houses are way too close for comfort IMO.

I'm a transplant and I'm glad you mentioned how nice the people were even though the city is full of mean, rude and crazy transplants.... Its probably the #1 misconception on CD Charlotte. people talk about transplants like they smack babies and kick elders in the shin once a day. Just because you met one person who had a stank attitude it doesn't mean everyone from that state or north of NC is like that...

good luck with the job hunt!

Old 07-04-2012, 08:16 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,977,206 times
When I moved here, I got a weekly motel room and explored by car, checking out neighborhoods and apartment complexes. I think by the 5th day I understood the city well enough to pick a spot to live. I do think the area is a bit too large to decide in one weekend.

If you work uptown, yeah parking is expensive for reserved spots, but there are daily spaces for $4 or so per use scattered around. (The problem is they jack the price up for special events on some days so don't get into a firm habit of assuming you can always park cheap.) You can park for free at Scaleybark station and take the LYNX in, it's only about a 15 minute ride and you'd probably spend that much time walking from a daily parking lot anyway.

Old 07-04-2012, 08:42 PM

I'm mobile right now, but: we planned on doing an extended stay hotel or a 3 month lease, because I don't want to feel rushed on picking a house. However, I do think it'll be one of those neighborhoods. And I'm definitely not against the public transportation. I LOVE the idea.. LOVE the NYC subway system... And yes, I know Charlotte is not nearly so well connected. Anyway, I will probably use the rail or bus, especially if I work at the Charlotte Plaza. I just think it's a little expensive, as well.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:23 PM

7,074 posts, read 12,338,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I looked at a real nice house that had the perfect layout and price but the back yard was 4 ft wide and I could touch the neighbors house from the back window. I'm exaggerating a bit but these new houses are way too close for comfort IMO.
I'm not 100% sure, but I think that smaller lots was part of the city's "2020 plan". This is why newer communities in Charlotte's city limits are small homes built close together. The plan was all about creating denser neighborhoods while at the same time preserving open space. In areas that are within walking distance of a planned major transit line, the density standards are MUCH higher. The plan called for (I think) a minimum density of like 5,000 people per sq/mile near transit lines. That's one of the biggest reasons why Pineville jumped off of the light rail bandwagon; their mayor wasn't interested in adding 5,000-7,000 people to Pineville's population by 2018 (just to make a light rail stop there feasible).

Quite a few other towns in the area have adopted similar higher density zoning areas to better deal with the issues of mass transit and open spaces. In all honesty, such plans are "smart growth" plans. However, many transplants are a little upset about how difficult the "large southern yard" is hard to find in this area. The way how I see it is that everyone wants wide open spaces as long as they can own a portion of it. With such a mentality, wide open spaces cease to exists if enough people move in and buy it all up.

Old 07-04-2012, 09:37 PM

1,508 posts, read 2,977,206 times
Charlotte has ample land within 485, that is single family low density though. Dense urban housing will be along transit corridors.

Someone that wants traditional suburbia should focus on housing built before 1990. That was about the time frame that developers began leveling the land and extracting "maximum value." It's easy to find 1/4 acre lots built prior to 1990 and not too hard to find 1/2 acre lots built prior to 1980. There are even full acre residential lots existing in the city, when these back up to flood buffers preventing development. Falconbridge next to Pineville is a good example.

Old 07-05-2012, 02:35 AM

1,169 posts, read 1,518,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffanyT5814 View Post
On the way back we went through mostly the over-the-road tunnels. We though that was really cool, but, don't they kind of limit business? Anyway, we absolutely loved EpiCenter and Uptown, in general, but where is all the history? Seems like everything is brand new.
By over the road tunnels, I'm guessing you mean the skyways? The majority of that skyway system is Overstreet Mall. And yes, as far as I can tell, it does definitely limit business. If you're a new-comer you may find it nearly impossible to find out whats inside or how late everything is open without asking a local or going through the whole place on your own. I'm in the process of building a website that will have google style maps of every uptown plaza as well as a directory for businesses inside. The skyway system along with it's lack of advertising does make downtown appear as if it's seriously lacking in terms of shops, retail, etc. I'm hoping to change that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte