Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2012, 07:44 AM

153 posts, read 195,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
I'm not 100% sure, but I think that smaller lots was part of the city's "2020 plan". This is why newer communities in Charlotte's city limits are small homes built close together. The plan was all about creating denser neighborhoods while at the same time preserving open space. In areas that are within walking distance of a planned major transit line, the density standards are MUCH higher. The plan called for (I think) a minimum density of like 5,000 people per sq/mile near transit lines. That's one of the biggest reasons why Pineville jumped off of the light rail bandwagon; their mayor wasn't interested in adding 5,000-7,000 people to Pineville's population by 2018 (just to make a light rail stop there feasible).

Quite a few other towns in the area have adopted similar higher density zoning areas to better deal with the issues of mass transit and open spaces. In all honesty, such plans are "smart growth" plans. However, many transplants are a little upset about how difficult the "large southern yard" is hard to find in this area. The way how I see it is that everyone wants wide open spaces as long as they can own a portion of it. With such a mentality, wide open spaces cease to exists if enough people move in and buy it all up.
I understand it, I just don't particularly care for it. I don't want a huge yard.. and don't really want to have to buy a riding lawn mower or anything - but, I do have a 90 pound dog that isn't going to be impressed at all with a Ballantyne yard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean_CLT View Post
Charlotte has ample land within 485, that is single family low density though. Dense urban housing will be along transit corridors.

Someone that wants traditional suburbia should focus on housing built before 1990. That was about the time frame that developers began leveling the land and extracting "maximum value." It's easy to find 1/4 acre lots built prior to 1990 and not too hard to find 1/2 acre lots built prior to 1980. There are even full acre residential lots existing in the city, when these back up to flood buffers preventing development. Falconbridge next to Pineville is a good example.
I have definitely seen that. We've looked a lot at Faires Farm, for example. No warnings please! I like that they're new enough to be more open floor plan, good number of bathrooms, more in the style I like.. and still old enough to have a back yard. However, I would love to NOT have traditional suburbia, I just can't imagine having my mini-horse in a condo, etc.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGTAIV View Post
By over the road tunnels, I'm guessing you mean the skyways? The majority of that skyway system is Overstreet Mall. And yes, as far as I can tell, it does definitely limit business. If you're a new-comer you may find it nearly impossible to find out whats inside or how late everything is open without asking a local or going through the whole place on your own. I'm in the process of building a website that will have google style maps of every uptown plaza as well as a directory for businesses inside. The skyway system along with it's lack of advertising does make downtown appear as if it's seriously lacking in terms of shops, retail, etc. I'm hoping to change that.
Exactly. And, how would you even know TO ask? I knew about the Overstreet Mall, but when I Google'd Overstreet Mall, I didn't find anything super helpful. I also had to dig REALLY hard to find (online) a list of businesses inside the building I interviewed at. I actually found a website that has a list of buildings, but no directory. I think that's awesome! Definitely link back when you get a chance.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
LOL at Tue comment on parking and yard sizes.

I hate trying Higgins parking in Uptown.. especially when there is a football game or basketball game. I know they are trying to make money for the parking decks but there is zero reason for capping the street meters. its a city.. lot us park on the street.

I looked at a real nice house that had the perfect layout and price but the back yard was 4 ft wide and I could touch the neighbors house from the back window. I'm exaggerating a bit but these new houses are way too close for comfort IMO.

I'm a transplant and I'm glad you mentioned how nice the people were even though the city is full of mean, rude and crazy transplants.... Its probably the #1 misconception on CD Charlotte. people talk about transplants like they smack babies and kick elders in the shin once a day. Just because you met one person who had a stank attitude it doesn't mean everyone from that state or north of NC is like that...

good luck with the job hunt!
Haha! I wasn't even referencing CD, really. I've had my own bad experiences with tourists/transplants in the WHOLE state of Florida and in Atlanta. And Charlotte was nothing like that . Thanks for the well wishes.

Old 07-05-2012, 01:30 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,366,938 times
Sorry if I missed it in an earlier post but why do you want to live near UNCC? Just curious. Faires Farm was a nice place 15 years ago.

By missing everything btwn Ballantyne and Uptown, you missed some of the best neighborhoods in Charlotte!

Any word on the job?

Old 07-06-2012, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post
Sorry if I missed it in an earlier post but why do you want to live near UNCC? Just curious. Faires Farm was a nice place 15 years ago.

By missing everything btwn Ballantyne and Uptown, you missed some of the best neighborhoods in Charlotte!

Any word on the job?
UNCC is appealing because I'm basically from a college town and I like the feel of it. Hard to explain, but it just seems like better proximity to most things than the area of SW Charlotte that we're also considering. Now, if the traffic is actually like what my interviewer says, then it's probably out - completely. Can't imagine a 2 hour, less than 10 mile commute. Also, it's SO affordable.. which, there's usually a reason for, but in this case I was HOPING it was just a lot of foreclosures that were bringing the price down and not a dangerous neighborhood, like I see all over Charlotte. It really seems like so much of Charlotte is completely unacceptable to live in.. that's kinda disheartening.

I definitely wanted to see the older neighborhoods in South Charlotte, and the mall area... but we didn't have much time and I know I won't be buying a house there, so I concentrated on other areas.

No word on the job, yet. It's fine, though. The company's fiscal year ends at the end of July, so HR is doing bonuses, re-classing, performance reviews, file updating, they just brought in a lot of recent grads, etc. etc. I know they're very busy.. and, like I said, I'm not even sure if she'd done other interviews. She may have just met with me because I said I'd be in the area.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:30 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
University and the surrounding areas have some nice neighborhoods. I don't think much of Charlotte is unacceptable to live in unless your budgeting for a $40K or 50K house.

Not sure about 2 hour commutes but it does get congested on 77N around exit 23??? I believe. I know every time I drive to PA I add an extra hour because 77 is disgusting.

Old 07-06-2012, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
University and the surrounding areas have some nice neighborhoods. I don't think much of Charlotte is unacceptable to live in unless your budgeting for a $40K or 50K house.

Not sure about 2 hour commutes but it does get congested on 77N around exit 23??? I believe. I know every time I drive to PA I add an extra hour because 77 is disgusting.
It just seems like EVERYTHING in the west is off limits, everything in the east is debatable, the half of north closest to Uptown is out, and the part nearest the University is advised against. That's a lot of Charlotte to completely count out. But, no, I would love to get a house in the 60s-80s, but I can afford more.. I just don't want an ungodly commute or an okay commute in a neighborhood with no retail, restaurants, etc. (example: east part of Charlotte nearest to 485 SEEMS to be that way).

Anyway, I'll be in town again possibly tonight-tomorrow or tomorrow-Sunday to check out at least 3 and maybe 5-6 houses in SW Charlotte that all look do-able. This time I'll try to see South Charlotte and around Uptown at night. Maybe U. City, but I'm not sure.

Old 07-06-2012, 12:43 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Have you looked at townhouses? I know it sounds like a lot of Charlotte is off limits but it's really not. Hopefully you have a broker or realtor who can give you an honest opinion or show you a few areas in University and East Charlotte that will change your mind.

I'm curious to know who is giving this advice on all these places that are off limits. Just be sure you aren't being steered into a house/neighborhood they prefer instead of where you want to buy.

You make it sound like University is 4 hours from SW Charlotte. Do yourself a favor and take the time to drive up to UC and see for yourself. I wouldn't rule a place out until I saw it with my own 2 eyes.

Don't let someone order your food for you!

Old 07-06-2012, 01:27 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiffanyT5814 View Post
It just seems like EVERYTHING in the west is off limits, everything in the east is debatable, the half of north closest to Uptown is out, and the part nearest the University is advised against. That's a lot of Charlotte to completely count out. But, no, I would love to get a house in the 60s-80s, but I can afford more.. I just don't want an ungodly commute or an okay commute in a neighborhood with no retail, restaurants, etc. (example: east part of Charlotte nearest to 485 SEEMS to be that way).

Anyway, I'll be in town again possibly tonight-tomorrow or tomorrow-Sunday to check out at least 3 and maybe 5-6 houses in SW Charlotte that all look do-able. This time I'll try to see South Charlotte and around Uptown at night. Maybe U. City, but I'm not sure.
You should drive west on 74/Wilkinson Blvd & check out Belmont in Gaston County. There's a nice downtown with nice restaurants. You do have to go to Gastonia for a lot of your shopping, but that's only about 5 or 6 miles west. The schools are decent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte