Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2012, 08:05 PM

58 posts, read 134,289 times

Advertisements

as a recent transplant to Charlotte, the yearly vehicle inspection was a surprise. Last year passed with no issue. But this year failed due to tint on the front windows (tint was there last year too...). So had a guy the inspector recommend come out and replace the tint with something less dark. Took the vehicle back and failed again by 1-3% (inspector said the law is 32%, tint installer said he used 40% but the test showed 29% and 30% - both said the factory must have some tint in the glass). Anyone else have this experience? Any recommended tint shops in So Char?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2012, 09:54 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,181,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1234tech View Post
as a recent transplant to Charlotte, the yearly vehicle inspection was a surprise. Last year passed with no issue. But this year failed due to tint on the front windows (tint was there last year too...). So had a guy the inspector recommend come out and replace the tint with something less dark. Took the vehicle back and failed again by 1-3% (inspector said the law is 32%, tint installer said he used 40% but the test showed 29% and 30% - both said the factory must have some tint in the glass). Anyone else have this experience? Any recommended tint shops in So Char?
In North Carolina it's easier just to give up on aftermarket tint. If you get new tint this year that passes inspection, the sun will end up changing the color and it may end up failing next year.

Old 08-05-2012, 03:54 PM

821 posts, read 1,853,696 times
Most if not all windows have some tint from the factory - at least that has been my experience over 30-plus years of buying vehicles.

Old 08-05-2012, 04:03 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,565,977 times
Don't go to A1 Auto Inspection at the corner of Monroe Road and Sharon Amity. They charged me $10 for for 'tinted' windows due to the tinted glare strip at top of the windshield. This is the first time in 10+ years I ever had that problem - won't go back there!

Old 08-05-2012, 05:05 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,215,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
Don't go to A1 Auto Inspection at the corner of Monroe Road and Sharon Amity. They charged me $10 for for 'tinted' windows due to the tinted glare strip at top of the windshield. This is the first time in 10+ years I ever had that problem - won't go back there!
Years ago that was the place to go if you had...questionable...tint.

Old 08-05-2012, 09:56 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,181,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotteborn View Post
If that was factory tint on my car that they tried to charge for, I'd have been on the phone with Raleigh before I left the station.

Old 08-05-2012, 10:24 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,565,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-LI View Post
If that was factory tint on my car that they tried to charge for, I'd have been on the phone with Raleigh before I left the station.
Ex-Li - I asked about the $10 charge because I had never been charged before. The guy at the station was unbelievably rude and told me the charge was due to the tint in the glare strip (the glare strip is about 8 inches deep and is located at the top of the front windshield - it came with the car and feels like it could be peeled off). I have since asked other inspection stations and been told that I should NOT have been charged the $10 fee.

Hope I can help others to avoid A1 Automotive Inspections on Monroe Road!

Old 08-06-2012, 01:45 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,891,826 times
The tinted windows may be against the law, but obviously many of the inspectors are letting the gang type dude vehicles by with tint that you absolutely can't see in. I pass cars daily that should have failed but didn't. I windows were minimally tinted and I failed last year. There needs to be some tickets issued for violations.

Old 08-06-2012, 05:20 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,200,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bindibadji View Post
The tinted windows may be against the law, but obviously many of the inspectors are letting the gang type dude vehicles by with tint that you absolutely can't see in. I pass cars daily that should have failed but didn't. I windows were minimally tinted and I failed last year. There needs to be some tickets issued for violations.
Yea and the cops need to charge people on cell phones texting too but they dont.Only good thing is if you have a wreck and the other car has illegal tint the wreck can be blamed on him for not being safe. Even if you cause the wreck the other car will also be at fault because he couldnt see well enough to AVOID the accident...teeheehee

Old 08-07-2012, 04:09 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times
The silly thing about this is that in SC, car inspections were eliminated. So many cars in this metro can legally drive around with tint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte