Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 06:28 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,975,478 times

Advertisements

Right now the only public swimming location on Lake Norman is at Lake Norman State Park which is a long drive from Charlotte. This past week the Mecklenburg County Commission voted to open a second swimming area at Ramsey Creek Park which is in Mecklenburg and much closer to Charlotte. It's near I-77 & Exit 28. Right now there is a public boat landing, a dog park and some picnic areas at this park but no swimming as of yet. Seems like some calls to your commissioner might result in some schedule improvements.

Plans for Lake Norman swimming area back in motion | www.wsoctv.com

This is an map of the park if you are interested in it's location. (zoom out) It's a good place to go if you just want to see the Lake and walk your dog without a leash.

Ramsey Creek Park, Nantz Road, Cornelius, NC - Google Maps

There are two other nearby county parks on the lake. Closest is Jetton Rd. Park which has lots of wooded picnic areas right on the water and very nice activities center. There is an unofficial beach at this park. Use it at your own risk. The other Mecklenburg Park is at Blythe Landing. There is a large public boat landing, a snack bar and picnic area, and also volleyball courts. There are usually people playing there and I believe several leagues that play there too. This is the location on Lake Norman where the TV reporters always stand if they do a story that involves the lake.

A lot of people in Charlotte don't seem to be very familiar with these parks (unless you are a boater) so I thought I'd mention them.

Last edited by frewroad; 07-07-2012 at 06:37 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 08:29 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
This is good news and about time. My bet is that it will be located in the cove with a little beach by the boat landing.
I see this will bring a lot of traffic and parking at what is now boat trailer parking area.

Give it a year then they could open a swimming area at Jetton. If I remember correctly doesn't Jetton charge for use of the park on the weekends also it has limited parking.

Old 07-07-2012, 08:44 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times
I hope it does not attract the drug dealing riff raff that tend to flock to anything that is free. Just sayin'.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
I hope it does not attract the drug dealing riff raff that tend to flock to anything that is free. Just sayin'.
The other parks have an entrance fee during the weekends & holidays so this might keep that from happening. However I've never seen any riftraft at any of them. There are a lot of patrols around the lake area.

Old 07-07-2012, 06:50 PM

186 posts, read 436,600 times
This seems a little strange to me for a couple of reasons. Number one, the water in the areas around the Cornelius parks is quite shallow since they are basically on the coves created by the dam flood. You have to go out quite a ways for anything reaching a depth for swimming if you're not a toddler, and then once you do, it drops off fast and you're way out. What are they going to do? truck in a bunch of sand to cover the clay and mica and even it out, and then replace it every year when it washes away? Two, lake water around the parks gets very warm very quickly, its kind of yucky. I always assumed the deeper water more towards the middle of the lake was colder, but the water at the parks is so warm, you might as well as go home and take a bath. I shudder to think what would happen if people from all over Meck suddenly start flocking to Ramsey Creek along with the boating crowd. Catawba Ave is a congested two lane deal, and the road that leads to Ramsey Creek certainly was never meant to handle lots of traffic, and the turn is dangerious in and out and quite easy to miss. Moreover, this park has become quite a haven for wind surfers, kayakers, and paddleboarders in addition to the boaters and jet skiers, this is kind of a scary mix. Unless the park plan includes resurfacing and widening the roads (and did I mention that a boatload of condos and apartments are under construction in the immediate area?), it could turn a lovely park into an absolute circus.

Old 07-08-2012, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kby1108 View Post
This seems a little strange to me for a couple of reasons. Number one, the water in the areas around the Cornelius parks is quite shallow since they are basically on the coves created by the dam flood.
Water in that cove is between 15 & 35 feet deep. This park has a public boat access area and the water is deep enough there where there isn't even a need to put up any channel markers. Yesterday we went swimming in Lake Norman and the average water temperature was about 90 degrees with the high of 92 and it was 87 where we were swimming. Body temperature is 98 degrees so this water will still feel quite nice. Most public pools are a lot warmer than this. There are plenty of beach areas on the islands where there is sand and it there doesn't seem to be an issue with erosion. There are no high currents or waves in Lake Norman especially at the South end of the lake. If it is handled like the other NC public swimming parks, then the swimming area will be off limits to any water craft so there won't be an issue.

All of Lake Norman was formed by the dam on the river at Cowans Ford. In the main channel the water can be a little over 100 ft deep. Most of the major branches are between 35-75 feet. The coves in Mecklenburg county tend to be the deepest because it's at the southern part of the lake.

.."Catawba Ave is a congested two lane deal,..."
Maybe you have not been there in a few years, but Catawba Avenue was widened to a nice 4 lane + turn lane boulevard all the way to Jetton Rd. This gives easy access Ramsey Creek and Jetton Rd. Parks. There won't be any issue with traffic.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:22 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
Exactly there will be barriers to keep out watercraft. It will be a string of buoys sectioning it off. Yes the water is shallow in coves but in order to provide a safe swimming area majority of it needs to be. The water probably will be way over your head around the buoys.

At High Rock Lake on Davidson County side, there is two public swimming spots, both are at boat launch areas with no Park.
Both are located on a branch of the lake away from the main channel.
The Pebble Beach swimming area there is a lot of boat traffic since it near the main channel but they have two strings of buoys about a foot apart. This is to keep out those on jet skis from getting close to swimmers that are hanging onto buoys.
This one is popular and insane only on holidays and that is how I see this one at Ramsey Creek being once the newness wears off.
It called Pebble Beach because the beach is covered in gravel all the way into the water. It might be uncomfortable for those who want to lay out but heading into the water there isnt mushy mud.

I agree there is no heavy traffic on Catawba Avenue since it has been widen. I was in mood for K&W one day which has closed so we decided to go to Acropolis Greek restaurant. This used to take 20 minutes due to traffic but we made it over there by I-77 in no time.

The water in swimming areas will be bath water warm, which is why I take the kayak out where we can swim in cooler water.

Im sure Wild Life officers will patrol the area to make sure it is safe environment for swimmers at Ramsey Creek.

Old 06-21-2015, 07:18 AM

1 posts, read 2,038 times
As a windsurfer & paddler, I'm a bit concerned about any plans to allow us continued access to current launches. Paddlers can launch nearly anywhere, but parking needs to fairly close. Windsurfers will need to launch from the point or western shore line,with adequate parking & rigging area nearby. It seems to me the big cove @ Jetton park would make better sense. It is more removed from boat traffic for safety reasons, outboard motors also expel a bit of oil, main swimming area & major boat launch in the same small cove?? Plus Jetton rd. has direct access to the improved portion of Catawba ave.

Last edited by padlsrf; 06-21-2015 at 07:20 AM.. Reason: skipped a word

Old 06-21-2015, 07:28 AM

4,980 posts, read 5,396,460 times
Yeah, Jetton is way better. But. Parking is an issue. Ramsey Creek can hold a much much larger volume of traffic. And let's face it, Mecklenburg has a million people. Already on the weekend they charge for Jetton Park because of parking capacity

It'd be really awesome if they made a greenway from Jetton to Ramsey Creek

Side note. How do y'all pronounce Jetton? I believe it's French sounding and I pronounce it in French but only because everyone else I know does

I also hear some people say Gilead Jill-lie-ed instead of Gill-E-Ed. Though I say Gill-E-Ed because I hear that used more often

Old 06-21-2015, 09:31 AM

162 posts, read 213,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Yeah, Jetton is way better. But. Parking is an issue. Ramsey Creek can hold a much much larger volume of traffic. And let's face it, Mecklenburg has a million people. Already on the weekend they charge for Jetton Park because of parking capacity

It'd be really awesome if they made a greenway from Jetton to Ramsey Creek

Side note. How do y'all pronounce Jetton? I believe it's French sounding and I pronounce it in French but only because everyone else I know does

I also hear some people say Gilead Jill-lie-ed instead of Gill-E-Ed. Though I say Gill-E-Ed because I hear that used more often
I've always heard it as "Jeh-tawn"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte