Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 08:21 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCharlotte View Post
Are you serious when you infer that you can sue someone if they do something you don't want?

Have you ever heard of a "frivilous" lawsuit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2012, 08:38 AM

972 posts, read 2,444,399 times
This conversation has become absurd.

Do some of you honestly think that shooting airborn fireworks in a residential neighborhood during dry conditions cannot cause any harm? If you truly think that, maybe you could fine a less rude way to express that opinion. Until then, you are shedding a very bad light on the people of Charlotte. Not because of your opinion, but because of the way you choose to express it.

Dealing with a neighbor who shoots off fireworks seems to be a related but separate issue from the danger of the fireworks. Should we shoot airborn rockets over dry roofs? No. Should we call the police on neighbors who do? That is situation dependant.

We have always kept a close watch for stray rockets because we had several land on our roof one year. There was no damage, but it still concerned us enough to speak with that family directly. They honestly didn't realize that the spent rocket was going that far. Problem solved in less than 5 minutes from the first rocket.

Another year, another neighbor's rockets were landing in our driveway in the middle of a block party. Again, a simple request and the situation was stopped.

My point is that we were viligant instead of calling out authorities. We dealt with the problems directly and in every case it was a matter of someone just not thinking through the results of shooting off a rocket. Calling the police would have been pointless because the rockets had already landed in our property. They can't go back and change time.

As far as those complaing about the lateness and loudness, I am wondering if noise is an ongoing problem? If it is, I can see this being the last straw. If it only happens a few times a year, then I would say just deal with it.

Old 07-10-2012, 08:41 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,975,478 times
I remember seeing this a couple of days ago.

The moment a cat leaps to safety amid blazing inferno that leveles apartments of 50 people in blaze started by fireworks | Mail Online

Old 07-10-2012, 08:45 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msm_teacher View Post
This conversation has become absurd.

Do some of you honestly think that shooting airborn fireworks in a residential neighborhood during dry conditions cannot cause any harm? If you truly think that, maybe you could fine a less rude way to express that opinion. Until then, you are shedding a very bad light on the people of Charlotte. Not because of your opinion, but because of the way you choose to express it.

Dealing with a neighbor who shoots off fireworks seems to be a related but separate issue from the danger of the fireworks. Should we shoot airborn rockets over dry roofs? No. Should we call the police on neighbors who do? That is situation dependant.

We have always kept a close watch for stray rockets because we had several land on our roof one year. There was no damage, but it still concerned us enough to speak with that family directly. They honestly didn't realize that the spent rocket was going that far. Problem solved in less than 5 minutes from the first rocket.

Another year, another neighbor's rockets were landing in our driveway in the middle of a block party. Again, a simple request and the situation was stopped.

My point is that we were viligant instead of calling out authorities. We dealt with the problems directly and in every case it was a matter of someone just not thinking through the results of shooting off a rocket. Calling the police would have been pointless because the rockets had already landed in our property. They can't go back and change time.

As far as those complaing about the lateness and loudness, I am wondering if noise is an ongoing problem? If it is, I can see this being the last straw. If it only happens a few times a year, then I would say just deal with it.
people are making jokes and digs because the OP is acting like this is the first time the 4th has been celebrated with fireworks.

Anyone who says their rights were violated on the 4th of July by fireworks will get laughed at on here...

Old 07-10-2012, 08:47 AM

The fire was "believed" to be started by fireworks?

Old 07-10-2012, 09:12 AM

972 posts, read 2,444,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
people are making jokes and digs because the OP is acting like this is the first time the 4th has been celebrated with fireworks.
No, she specifically stated that:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
Most of the time I dont worry about a few fireworks on the 4th.
You also said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Anyone who says their rights were violated on the 4th of July by fireworks will get laughed at on here...
Are you refering to this post by the OP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crestliner View Post
This time they went well past the limit and violated my rights.......
So, you are saying that it is OK to be mean to someone when they ask about something they think is a serious problem? Her problem and concern was the size of the fireworks on this 4th. She didn't worry about them in years past. Her concern was for the safety of her property and her "right" to not be deprived of her property due to the oversized fireworks used this year. If she really meant the word "right" as in constitutional rights, she may have been thinking of the 14th ammendment. But, even if that is what she meant (which is a stretch, I admit), there is still no call for all the rudeness being passed out to her and others who have issue with out of control fireworks in residential neighborhoods. Again, she said she was not worried in years passed - just this year with the increase in size.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:58 AM

2,775 posts, read 5,166,000 times
maturity level proven by responses on this board...does covers a broad spectrum...

Old 07-10-2012, 10:07 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,798,566 times
I was celebrating the fourth at a friends house and her neighbor had these paraffin balloons that were really beautiful until one got caught in a tree. Luckily it burned itself out before it lit the tree on fire. A lot of towns cancelled their fireworks displays and parades due to the excessive heat and fire hazard this year. There was nothing on our local news about house fires and fireworks. We can all live with the what if's in life and scare ourselves into being hermits. I would rather deal with the what is and enjoy. The fourth of July is one of my favorite holidays fireworks and all. Dealing with my stressed out dog on the 4th is another matter. I guess you just have to take the good with the bad.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msm_teacher View Post
No, she specifically stated that:

You also said:

Are you refering to this post by the OP?

So, you are saying that it is OK to be mean to someone when they ask about something they think is a serious problem? Her problem and concern was the size of the fireworks on this 4th. She didn't worry about them in years past. Her concern was for the safety of her property and her "right" to not be deprived of her property due to the oversized fireworks used this year. If she really meant the word "right" as in constitutional rights, she may have been thinking of the 14th ammendment. But, even if that is what she meant (which is a stretch, I admit), there is still no call for all the rudeness being passed out to her and others who have issue with out of control fireworks in residential neighborhoods. Again, she said she was not worried in years passed - just this year with the increase in size.
Bigger is better.... and when one exaggerates and dramatizes a serious problem that almost but never really happened (house burning, fire) they shouldn't be shocked when the responses are also exaggerated and sensationalized.

No fires... no house burned down... talk to the neighbors.. end of story.

911, fire marshals, cops, violated rights... overboard and dramatic.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:45 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,063,850 times
So, I ask again, what neighborhood is this???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte