Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-27-2007, 02:50 PM

3 posts, read 6,690 times

Advertisements

I am moving soon and considering the NC area around Lake Wylie. Lots of questions:
Quality of middle school / high school education?
Is there an Asian student population in the schools?
Sports for kids? both of my daughters play on a semi-competitive soccer league - anything like that there?
What are some of the best subs to look at for housing?
I work at home, so accessibility to major highways is not a huge need.

Thanks to everyone who can help enlighten me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 03:04 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,026,012 times
Check out Falcon Ridge, M/I homes & eastwood homes.

Old 09-27-2007, 03:10 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,748,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC gal View Post
I am moving soon and considering the NC area around Lake Wylie. Lots of questions:
Quality of middle school / high school education?
Is there an Asian student population in the schools?
Sports for kids? both of my daughters play on a semi-competitive soccer league - anything like that there?
What are some of the best subs to look at for housing?
I work at home, so accessibility to major highways is not a huge need.

Thanks to everyone who can help enlighten me

I like the Steele Creek area. Until about 12 years ago it was mostly rural farmland. It's the last corner of Charlotte to be developed, but not overly so like other parts of Charlotte. I like the "feel" of being out that way. Once a branch of one of the main hospitals is built out there in the next few years you'll never need to leave the area to find what you need.

There are plenty of subdivisions, but you must give us your price range before we can make suggestions. There is also a bit of a cluster of Vietnamese in the area since that's where the Vietnamese Catholic Church is located, St. Joseph's.

If you live in the south end of the area your child would most like attend the newer middle school, Southwest, which is an okay school. It is not one of the top performing middle schools, but nowhere near the bottom either. The high school, Olympic, does have some issues so you'd want to investigate that pretty thoroughly. The good news is things are turning around there in the last year because the school superintendent has stepped in to divide the school into 5 different "learning academies", each with their own principal and teachers. This smaller grouping of students means they are with the same 200 or so other students and teachers all the time which is giving the all students more attention and a cohesiveness to the student body. Sounds interesting to me.

Hope this helps a bit

Old 09-30-2007, 02:17 PM

1,899 posts, read 2,265,165 times
Check out the Steele Creek Athletic Association (Steele Creek Athletic Association - News). They have both recreational and challenge soccer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte