Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 07:21 PM

1,619 posts, read 3,873,893 times

Advertisements

Where do you go to unwind, go out for drinks, take in the scenery, play, etc. in the Charlotte area? What is it about those areas that you find attractive? I'll give a few examples. My favorite areas of Charlotte are:

Uptown - I occasionally go into uptown for a Sunday walk, lunch, and taking photos. Rarely do I go during the week unless I have to for work, but I enjoy riding the Lynx in sometimes to go to Vapiano, check out a museum, car show, or just take in the town. Even though relatively small in area, Uptown has a "big city" feel - like a tiny slice of Chicago - in the Center City that you can't find anywhere else in the Carolinas IMO.

South Park - Not only because I live nearby, but also for general shopping, going to the movies, and eating at a restaurant. I spend probably 75% of my money in the South Park/Park Rd Shopping Center area because of the layout and convenience of the area, and the general feel of the neighborhood. The preservation of large trees, the landscaping, and the variety of restaurants draw me there. Also, I frequent Freedom Park (Dilworth) for walking and people-watching.

Finally, I enjoy the far eastern rural areas outside of Charlotte. Think Albermarle Rd beyond the 485. This area has some awesome rural scenery and nice backroads for that Saturday drive to get out of town. It reminds me of areas near where I grew up, but also serves as a release from the insane drivers and bad roads in the city. It seems like every time I venture out there, I see something different.

So, where are the places you venture to the most in Charlotte for leisure activities, dining out, etc? Where do you spend the majority of your time on the weekends? You have any favorite neighborhoods that you would live in if you could?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2012, 07:39 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
May seem strange to some, but one of my favorite places to go for some peace and quiet reflection is to St. Gabriel's Catholic Church. There is a Eucharistic Chapel open there 24/7 with someone always in attendance. I've stopped there at all times of the day and night to recharge my batteries.
St. Gabriel Catholic Church

I also enjoy the eastern side of Mecklenburg county, particularly around Mint Hill and look for opportunities to stop in at Jimmie's Restaurant for breakfast to start the day. Jimmie's Restaurant - Home

Every fall I enjoy stopping in at Ed's Tarvern in Dilworth to catch a football game and drink one (or two) of their harvest brews like pumpkin beer - yum.
Ed's Tavern

And in the summer, I so enjoy being out at Knight's Castle to enjoy a baseball game and a hotdog with those summer breezes after a long hot day.
Knight's Castle - Fort Mill, South Carolina

Old 05-15-2012, 04:56 AM

7,041 posts, read 15,041,759 times
Since I have not had much free time over the last few years (I was in school), I really did not have the chance to "hang out" anywhere in particular.

I agree with you, Peyton, about downtown...sorry...cannot call it "uptown"; just doesn't sound right!

I have enjoyed Davidson, some friends have horses in a stable there. Love just hanging out with the 4-legged types. If I had my own horses and my own stable, I would really be happy because I would have my dogs there, too!

Most of the rest of my time is spent in the University City/ Huntersville area, simply because that is where most of my friends live.

If I could live anywhere in the area? I would like to live on one of those little peninsulas on Lake Norman. Surrounded by the lake with no (or few) neighbours. It would be a lot big enough that would allow for horses and my other animals. (we didn't have a price limit on these dreams, right? )

Old 05-15-2012, 05:28 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,293,640 times
My favorite area is the Sugar Creek Greenway - love to walk or bike it between Freedom Park and the Metropolitan. The amenities they put in are fantastic - a large fountain, snack bar and even bocce ball surfaces. I have not yet tried the extension to CPCC.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:39 PM

351 posts, read 656,702 times
There's a lot I haven't seen yet since moving here at the end of last year, but I enjoy the shopping at both South Park and Concord Mills. I really love living in Fort Mill, with the small town atmosphere, but being so close to Charlotte.

Old 05-15-2012, 06:59 PM

2,532 posts, read 3,452,758 times
My places...
- Fort Mill - this is where my home is i.e. best place in Charlotte Metro. I picked it for it's family friendliness with a small town charm with easy access to everything. Since everything being close to us, it allows time at home to just chill and relax. Why get a nice place to not enjoy it... Plus, the park in Fort Mill city is really nice.

- Arysley - best movie theater in town IMO. Cheap tickets (in comparison to other places), clean interior, good sound. Typically hit Salsas while we are up there for some food.

- Uptown - I like going up there for a good show at Belk or Knight. And yes, I enjoy watching those Bobcats Nice food options prior to all these events.

Old 08-07-2012, 02:20 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,652,890 times
I just came across this nice old thread...thought it'd be nice to bring it back .

I'm interested in hearing more about areas east of CLT. Any takers?

Old 08-07-2012, 02:46 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,598,169 times
I will typically spend my lunch hour running through Elmwood Cemetery in Uptown, or will hop into my car and drive over to freedom park and either jog or throw on my roller blades. We have a baby boy now, so that's about all I get anymore

Last edited by topchief1; 08-07-2012 at 03:06 PM..

Old 08-07-2012, 05:40 PM

1,462 posts, read 2,959,878 times
These are were I am a majority of the time for entertainment......

University City - My side of town...Regardless of what people say this is not a bad side....Everything you need is over here (Concord Mills, Verizon Wireless Ampitheatre, Wild Wings, The Boardwalk - Boardwalk Billy's, The Wine Vault, Mad Dogs, Toby Creek Trail and many more)

Uptown - Hang here all the time to party....

*I love S. Park and Ballanytne, but they are too far away from me and I rarely travel over there, granted, I do love the area.

Old 08-07-2012, 05:47 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDL View Post
I just came across this nice old thread...thought it'd be nice to bring it back .

I'm interested in hearing more about areas east of CLT. Any takers?
Well, one area east of Charlotte that I love is Morrow Mountain State Park and Lake Tillery

Comments and Reviews

Visit Stanly County : Morrow Mountain, Lakes, Vineyards, and more!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte