Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2012, 01:12 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,041,759 times

Advertisements

As is suggested, fresh fruits & veg are very expensive in Charlotte. No idea why. You can do the tour of Charlotte in your quest, but, once your studies begin, you simply will not have the time, I suspect.

I have resorted to using frozen items. Not a lot cheaper, but, at least the quality is more consistent.

Welcome to Charlotte! Good luck finding stuff!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2012, 03:27 PM

54 posts, read 160,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
It is called "dog days" of Summer and they are here.

Dog Days - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One should move to Charlotte in October so you would have all the wonderful days of Fall and Winter before you experience our worst weather in late Summer. Are you attending UNCC?

I just realize what number 8 means. I was thinking of personal energy and did not understand what you were saying. Yes some Americans waste a lot of electricity. We are lucky here in North Carolina to have relatively cheap electricity costs, but some of us try to conserve because our parents taught us to conserve. My husband turns the electricity switch on and I turn it off. We go through this ritual several times a day and night. If I happen to be the one who goes first, I am wondering what his electric bill will be. I would guess it would double.

In the car, I let my foot off the gas when I see braking cars ahead or a red stop light. He keeps his foot on the gas and then uses a lot of brakes. Brakes will last in a car about twice as long for me. I don't use my brakes a lot. It just makes no sense to me to drive fast right up to where you have to stop. I coast into a stop sign or stop light.

We also have a safety ritual at home. He unlocks doors and I lock them. I also turn off the oven a few minutes before what I am cooking is due to come out of the oven. Being conservative is just a habit with me.
Thank you, I have not heard about that. Regrading waste of energy, that's what I felt when I paid a visit to the university (UNCC), some hotel, ank of America, ..... for example, in student union, there were no more than 3-4 prople but almost all air conditioners were working to cool that big salon down to 20-22 C. The same thing in hotels, when I opened the door, I saw that TV, air conditioner even kitchen fan was working while there were no one before me and the room was empty. In addition, I think lacking of effective public transportation is another evidence for wasting energy because there are lots of Single-occupancy cars, and as I said before, really this is not possible to live without a car.

Old 08-11-2012, 03:33 PM

Thank you all my friends for your welcome and good suggestions about where to find cheaper fruits and vegetables.

Unfortunately, still I have no SSN so it may last about 1 month to get driving license, coze DMV wants SSN. So I think at least 1 month I have to live without a car.

You may wonder but up to now, I have not seen down town (even during my flight since I arrived there late night), coze I dont know how I can get there without a car So Charlotte for my is still University city blvd. and N. Tryon!!

Old 08-11-2012, 03:45 PM

There is actually public transport that will take you downtown. You must have exact change and the schedules are a little weird.

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/c...CCShuttle2.pdf

Routes & Schedules

You will want route 29-UNCC. This will get you many places.

Having a car is crucial, but, in the meantime, this will help you get around.

Old 08-11-2012, 03:49 PM

And some other questions:

1. My home is not furnished, so I need to buy kitchen appliances + bed, mattress, sofa, studying desk, .... where do you suggest? Is it better to buy them online? is there any sales? My move-in date is early September so if there will be good sales I can wait for them.

2. The same story for buying clothes. Where do you suggest?

3. Is Walmart good for buying foods?

Old 08-11-2012, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
There is actually public transport that will take you downtown. You must have exact change and the schedules are a little weird.

http://charmeck.org/city/charlotte/c...CCShuttle2.pdf

Routes & Schedules

You will want route 29-UNCC. This will get you many places.

Having a car is crucial, but, in the meantime, this will help you get around.
Oh, thank you.. Someone told me not to use bus during night because it goes through some rough neighborhoods, do you think so?

Old 08-11-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurdishMan View Post
And some other questions:

1. My home is not furnished, so I need to buy kitchen appliances + bed, mattress, sofa, studying desk, .... where do you suggest? Is it better to buy them online? is there any sales? My move-in date is early September so if there will be good sales I can wait for them.

2. The same story for buying clothes. Where do you suggest?

3. Is Walmart good for buying foods?
You can buy all of the above at Walmart; although I would prefer Ikea for the furniture, etc.

Ikea might be the better choice for the furniture, etc. as they offer a delivery service. (and, they are cheaper) Obviously, you have to pay for it, but, it would be far easier than trying to get it home in either a car or on the bus.

Clothes...yes, Walmart. Check the clearance racks. Good stuff for very cheap. When you get a car, you can go to the Goodwill which is a charity shop to get winter clothes. That stuff is very expensive new and you won't need it for that long. You can get yourself a nice winter coat for about $5.00 there. You won't need that for a long time, though, so, no need to get it now. (when it is priced much more)

Food...Walmart, although I am not too convinced about the fruits & veg and/or meats. They seem a bit dodgy to me. The two main grocery stores closest to you are Food Lion and Harris Teeter (opposite directions) and are walking distance if you like a long walk! Thinking that you probably are far more used to walking than we (Americans) are.

Many places are offering back-to-school sales (now); however, with your limited transport, that will be tricky. Walmart might be your one-stop shop for linens, small appliances, lamps, things like that. Not sure if the bus goes to Ikea; (you might be able to buy a lot of that stuff online at either Ikea.com or walmart.com) I know that for some stuff, Walmart only charges 97 cents shipping (which is a steal). So, check it out.

Old 08-11-2012, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurdishMan View Post
Oh, thank you.. Someone told me not to use bus during night because it goes through some rough neighborhoods, do you think so?
I would tend to agree with that. There are crazy people out there.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:01 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,974,905 times
Compare supermarket is also a good place for vegetables. The closest one to UNCC is at the junction of Sugar Creek & Tryon. There are also two grocery stores at the Asian Corners shopping center in the same complex with plenty of fresh produce.

Old 08-11-2012, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
You can buy all of the above at Walmart; although I would prefer Ikea for the furniture, etc.

Ikea might be the better choice for the furniture, etc. as they offer a delivery service. (and, they are cheaper) Obviously, you have to pay for it, but, it would be far easier than trying to get it home in either a car or on the bus.

Clothes...yes, Walmart. Check the clearance racks. Good stuff for very cheap. When you get a car, you can go to the Goodwill which is a charity shop to get winter clothes. That stuff is very expensive new and you won't need it for that long. You can get yourself a nice winter coat for about $5.00 there. You won't need that for a long time, though, so, no need to get it now. (when it is priced much more)

Food...Walmart, although I am not too convinced about the fruits & veg and/or meats. They seem a bit dodgy to me. The two main grocery stores closest to you are Food Lion and Harris Teeter (opposite directions) and are walking distance if you like a long walk! Thinking that you probably are far more used to walking than we (Americans) are.

Many places are offering back-to-school sales (now); however, with your limited transport, that will be tricky. Walmart might be your one-stop shop for linens, small appliances, lamps, things like that. Not sure if the bus goes to Ikea; (you might be able to buy a lot of that stuff online at either Ikea.com or walmart.com) I know that for some stuff, Walmart only charges 97 cents shipping (which is a steal). So, check it out.
It seems here car is much more needed than even food!!! good options, thanks. Yes I used to walk, and it's my everyday job in Charlotte, especially when I want to walk across that crazy crossroad (Tryon - Harris junction)!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte