Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 01:23 PM

1,055 posts, read 2,127,552 times

Advertisements

Charlotte ranked as the #1 fastest growing city in the US according to this article. Raleigh ranks #2 and even Greenville, SC got the #9 spot. This may be old news, but I just stumbled across it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 04:53 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,897,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampfoxer View Post
Charlotte ranked as the #1 fastest growing city in the US according to this article. Raleigh ranks #2 and even Greenville, SC got the #9 spot. This may be old news, but I just stumbled across it.
Despite high unemployment, they keep coming. And people wonder why unemployment is so high. I am sure that the habitual whinners will go balistic about this. I just hope some of the newcomers bring money and invest in the things that they might end up bitching about. Glad to see the growth though. I just wish we could screen them first.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:09 PM

7,076 posts, read 12,345,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampfoxer View Post
It is old news. These numbers had to do with Charlotte having the nation's fastest growing urbanized area between 2000 and 2010; Raleigh's urbanized area was the second fastest growing during that same time period.

Old 08-15-2012, 05:14 PM

162 posts, read 217,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bindibadji View Post
Despite high unemployment, they keep coming. And people wonder why unemployment is so high. I am sure that the habitual whinners will go balistic about this. I just hope some of the newcomers bring money and invest in the things that they might end up bitching about. Glad to see the growth though. I just wish we could screen them first.
People come because they hear there are jobs. They don't obtain the job before hand. I just got word on the rates of my apartment for the next year. They jumped up nearly 10%, and I'm not even living that close to downtown.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:00 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,242,030 times
Charlotte and Raleigh in the top 5 of fastest growing cities in the USA?

Never would have guessed. Sarcasm warning

Old 08-15-2012, 06:09 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
It is old news. These numbers had to do with Charlotte having the nation's fastest growing urbanized area between 2000 and 2010; Raleigh's urbanized area was the second fastest growing during that same time period.
I know journalism is a lost art these days, but I can't understand how these publications can make such an egregious error as to conflate "urbanized area" with "city." It's quite misleading.

Old 08-15-2012, 06:31 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,483,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I know journalism is a lost art these days, but I can't understand how these publications can make such an egregious error as to conflate "urbanized area" with "city." It's quite misleading.
Indeed, it is.

Old 08-17-2012, 04:09 AM

28 posts, read 39,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monksy View Post
People come because they hear there are jobs. They don't obtain the job before hand.
Raleigh is the same. RTP is supposedly this mecca for IT jobs. uh hello people, that hasn't been true for quite some time now.

I HATE these stupid articles. I wish they'd write about how great NY or Calif are and have people move in big waves there instead.

Old 08-17-2012, 07:57 AM

1,169 posts, read 1,519,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe55 View Post
Raleigh is the same. RTP is supposedly this mecca for IT jobs. uh hello people, that hasn't been true for quite some time now.

I HATE these stupid articles. I wish they'd write about how great NY or Calif are and have people move in big waves there instead.
Chill, dude. I don't think this attention Charlotte is getting is bringing negative growth. For the most part, people are coming here with jobs or starting businesses.

Old 08-17-2012, 08:11 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It's because the papers have fired all the editors.
They won't be able to find jobs in Charlotte either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte