Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 10:39 PM

1,013 posts, read 2,984,969 times

Advertisements

I understand they want Social Security cards. Mine fell into the black hole since moving. I have looked literally everwhere(except where it is).

Has anyone obtained a drivers license without a SS card?

Getting another SS card will take up to six weeks. I would like to get my license sooner, if possible. Another thing is, they(SS) require you send original documents as proof of ID, for a duplicate. I'm not too keen on sending originals through the mail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2009, 11:19 PM

3,071 posts, read 9,139,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike409 View Post
I understand they want Social Security cards. Mine fell into the black hole since moving. I have looked literally everwhere(except where it is).

Has anyone obtained a drivers license without a SS card?

Getting another SS card will take up to six weeks. I would like to get my license sooner, if possible. Another thing is, they(SS) require you send original documents as proof of ID, for a duplicate. I'm not too keen on sending originals through the mail.
You . there are too many people who read this forum who want to scam with fake Ids and ss numbers for any answer to be given out for them to see..You essay? You are legit arent you?

Old 11-15-2009, 05:52 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,654,246 times
I don't see where there's an exception. (Requirements are on this site) When I had to get a replacement SS card, it seems like they had a form I could use until I got my card in the mail. For some reason, I can't link to the answer, but click on "How long does it take to process a replacement" at the bottom of this page, and there's information about that. When I applied for my replacement card, I went into the SS office on Executive Center Drive. They were very helpful, and it didn't take an incredibly long time.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:59 AM

624 posts, read 2,108,647 times
I don't think there is any way around using a SS Card to obtain your license, I attempted using my W-2, gov't issue doc with full name and SS # and failed. Best advice to speed up the process and avoid sending your ID through the mail is to go directly to the office in Charlotte:

SOCIAL SECURITY
SUITE 300
5800 EXECUTIVE CTR DR
CHARLOTTE, NC 28212

Open Monday through Friday, 9 AM - 4 PM.

Necessary form to have completed: http://www.socialsecurity.gov/online/ss-5.pdf

Only Acceptable forms of ID include: US Issued Driver License, US Passport, US Issued Non-Driver Identity Card.

Make sure the NEW Social Security Card is your full name...no initials...

With my schedule I wasn't able to go to the office directly, but I think the whole process from me mailing my Passport with form and getting the new card only took three weeks. I think if you go directly to the office it cuts the time down to 7-10 days.

Old 11-15-2009, 10:04 AM

1,343 posts, read 3,336,675 times
We went to the social security office in Statesville and had an easy time - short wait, helpful service, submitted all documentation needed for them to issue a new (duplicate) social security card. I don't remember how long it took for us to get the new cards but I don't think it was 6 weeks.

I would be surprised if there was any way to get a NC drivers license without the actual card. They seem to be real sticklers about that, which is pretty funny since nobody else in the world seems to require the actual physical card.

Old 11-15-2009, 10:18 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,552,263 times
It doesn't take 6 weeks. I got mine in about a week, 10 days TOPS.

Old 11-15-2009, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
You . there are too many people who read this forum who want to scam with fake Ids and ss numbers for any answer to be given out for them to see..You essay? You are legit arent you?

Huh?

Old 11-15-2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysteryMT View Post
I don't think there is any way around using a SS Card to obtain your license, I attempted using my W-2, gov't issue doc with full name and SS # and failed. Best advice to speed up the process and avoid sending your ID through the mail is to go directly to the office in Charlotte:

SOCIAL SECURITY
SUITE 300
5800 EXECUTIVE CTR DR
CHARLOTTE, NC 28212

Open Monday through Friday, 9 AM - 4 PM.

Necessary form to have completed: http://www.socialsecurity.gov/online/ss-5.pdf

Only Acceptable forms of ID include: US Issued Driver License, US Passport, US Issued Non-Driver Identity Card.

Make sure the NEW Social Security Card is your full name...no initials...

With my schedule I wasn't able to go to the office directly, but I think the whole process from me mailing my Passport with form and getting the new card only took three weeks. I think if you go directly to the office it cuts the time down to 7-10 days.

That's the route I'll take, thanks.

Thanks for all advice.

Old 11-15-2009, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophialee View Post
It doesn't take 6 weeks. I got mine in about a week, 10 days TOPS.

A neighbor and relative tell me differently. I guess anywhere from six days to 6 weeks.

Old 11-15-2009, 11:05 AM

Well, I found my SS card, but mama laminated it when I was a kid. I do believe that is a no-go....lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte