Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 09:27 AM

6,321 posts, read 10,339,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
"around the world" is definitely a different circle then DC, or anywhere in the states....

I have a hard time believing people when they say no one knows where Charlotte is located since it's grown so fast in the last 5 to 10 years.

Every time I say Charlotte I get those same questions... "I heard it was up and coming".. "I've thought about moving there" "I'm planning a trip" etc...

Maybe it's because I'm from the North East and that area loves Charlotte....
Well "no one" knowing where Charlotte is is a little bit of a stretch, but there are a lot of people that don't. Weren't you on the "Charlotte isn't that well known" side in that previous thread anyway? And I think that is part of the reason people are so curious about it...they've heard good things about it (yeah, probably from all those Forbes articles and stuff), but don't really know too much about it.

And in response to Gator's post, which I actually almost posted in that other thread but didn't feel like bringing it back from the dead, direct quote from a guy (probably in his mid 50's) sitting in front of me on a plane from Chattanooga to Charlotte: "Is the Charlotte airport in North or South Carolina? Because I know there's a Charlotte in both North and South Carolina."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 09:35 AM

18,453 posts, read 7,084,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
I recommend that you get out into the country more. Mecklenburg itself has a 400 FT elevation difference within the county and there is the 1800 Ft. Crowders Mt. in Gaston County (you can see Charlotte from it) and on Lake Norman you can clearly see several mountains in Catawba county. The continental fall line is east of Charlotte so the east side of the metro will seem flat while the West side will be very hilly. In fact if you continue west, you will arrive at the tallest mountains in eastern North America. You can drive up there in 90 minutes and experience the climate that you left behind in NY. There are not many places with that kind of amenity.
I know, I've been here 15 years and my job takes me all over the state. But I was not talking about the surrounding area, I was talking about Charlotte which itself is pretty flat compared to where I'm from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
It's hot and humid but triple digit heat??? Humid with high 80s to low 90s on average but triple digit heat isn't normal for Charlotte....and it's definitely not flat, might seem so if you're from Appalachia. Maybe in specific areas but I've lived in NC the past 15 years and never seen a fire ant...and an outdoorsy type.

No place is perfect, but I will give this place some accolades, Charlotte is a nice city....and from a person that prefers to live in RDU.
The past few years have been pretty damn hot, this year especially there was plenty of triple digit or close to it.....and I did say NEAR triple digit. Not much difference between 97 and 101 for a Yankee like me.

Flat like the Great Plains? no, but flattish to me compared to where I'm from? Yes.

And my yard is riddled with fire ant mounds every year.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:10 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,971,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
I know, I've been here 15 years and my job takes me all over the state. But I was not talking about the surrounding area, I was talking about Charlotte which itself is pretty flat compared to where I'm from.
The highest point in the city is Derita at 890 ft above sea level. The lowest is in East Charlotte and is about 490 ft. This difference is the same as a 40 story building. Just in my neighborhood, there is a 100 ft. change right on my street. I'd say it's quite a rolling topography and especially so as you get closer to the river.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:17 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,644,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Well "no one" knowing where Charlotte is is a little bit of a stretch, but there are a lot of people that don't. Weren't you on the "Charlotte isn't that well known" side in that previous thread anyway? And I think that is part of the reason people are so curious about it...they've heard good things about it (yeah, probably from all those Forbes articles and stuff), but don't really know too much about it.

And in response to Gator's post, which I actually almost posted in that other thread but didn't feel like bringing it back from the dead, direct quote from a guy (probably in his mid 50's) sitting in front of me on a plane from Chattanooga to Charlotte: "Is the Charlotte airport in North or South Carolina? Because I know there's a Charlotte in both North and South Carolina."
well, I was actually talking about people around the world in my previous response... I doubt most people half way around the world know or care where Charlotte is... or where 95% of US cities are located.

As far as the other thread... if I remember correctly I said most Americans are horrible when it comes to geography. However, I think most Americans know "of" Charlotte. I don't think it's that odd that people don't know where Charlotte is in NC.

I know Las Vegas is in Nevada, Phoenix is in AZ and Detroit is in Michigan but I couldn't tell you where these cities are within their state. It's pretty ridiculous IMO to expect people to know exactly where a city is within a state that is 500 or 1000 miles from where they live.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:28 AM

239 posts, read 376,701 times
As a visitor of Charlotte a few months ago, and as a new resident, Charlotte can be QUITE HILLY in certain parts. When I visited, I stay off of WT Harris, and Old Concord Rd, ONE exit past UNCC, and it was quite a rolling plain out there. If you take the WT Harris exit off of i-85, you are IMMEDIATELY on a hilly terrain.Alot of places in SE Charlotte are hilly as well, if you take Independance ALL THE WAY DOWN to 485. The closer you get to 485, the more hilly it becomes.
Even right outside of Downtown, around the Presbyterian Hospital area, you can tell theres some up-and-down going on. lol.

Very few cities can claim this. Im from Houston, and you cant get ANY flatter than Houston. lol. But theres rolling hills about 30 mins outside of the city.
LA cant claim this either, even tho theres hills right OUTSIDE of the city limits. Dallas is flat as HELL. lol.
Chicago is flat, NYC is flat, Miami is flat.

Charlotte and Atlanta kinda remind me of each other..(i know ive said that before), but they kinda look alike in certain areas, especially given that ATL kinda be VERY flat in some areas, and VERY hilly in some areas. same with Charlotte.

And even looking at Uptown Charlotte, theres places around Charlotte that it seems that you are looking DOWN on Uptown, and theres also places in Charlotte that it seems like your looking UP and Uptown, (as if Uptown sits on a hill from your current location). I believe thats why locals starting calling it Uptown, cause in most cases, it seems as if you're looking UP at it.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:42 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,644,374 times
I don't view Charlotte as a "hilly" city... it has a few "rolling hills" lol... but it's not like you have to get off your bike and walk because the hills are too steep. Then again, I'm from the mountains...

Old 08-31-2012, 11:53 AM

18,453 posts, read 7,084,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I don't view Charlotte as a "hilly" city... it has a few "rolling hills" lol... but it's not like you have to get off your bike and walk because the hills are too steep. Then again, I'm from the mountains...

Yep....and thats what I mean when I say flattish.
Even my middle aged, ex-smokers lungs can stand to ride up most of the "hills" around here.

Old 08-31-2012, 11:55 AM

4,222 posts, read 7,895,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post

It doesn't surprise me that people don't know where Charlotte is located. I once told a graduate student at OSU that I was on my way to London and she got that look uncertainty on her face and asked, "What country is that in?" No offense, but Americans are the absolute worst when it comes to geograpy. When I was in school, we had to know all capitals and largest cities and be able to talk about them. That was in a Charlotte school too. For the past 10-15 years, one would have to be pretty dumb to not know of Charlotte, N.C. But, again, American public education isn't the best.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:48 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,033,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhartwell35 View Post
As a visitor of Charlotte a few months ago, and as a new resident, Charlotte can be QUITE HILLY in certain parts. When I visited, I stay off of WT Harris, and Old Concord Rd, ONE exit past UNCC, and it was quite a rolling plain out there. If you take the WT Harris exit off of i-85, you are IMMEDIATELY on a hilly terrain.Alot of places in SE Charlotte are hilly as well, if you take Independance ALL THE WAY DOWN to 485. The closer you get to 485, the more hilly it becomes.
Even right outside of Downtown, around the Presbyterian Hospital area, you can tell theres some up-and-down going on. lol.

Very few cities can claim this. Im from Houston, and you cant get ANY flatter than Houston. lol. But theres rolling hills about 30 mins outside of the city.
LA cant claim this either, even tho theres hills right OUTSIDE of the city limits. Dallas is flat as HELL. lol.
Chicago is flat, NYC is flat, Miami is flat.

Charlotte and Atlanta kinda remind me of each other..(i know ive said that before), but they kinda look alike in certain areas, especially given that ATL kinda be VERY flat in some areas, and VERY hilly in some areas. same with Charlotte.

And even looking at Uptown Charlotte, theres places around Charlotte that it seems that you are looking DOWN on Uptown, and theres also places in Charlotte that it seems like your looking UP and Uptown, (as if Uptown sits on a hill from your current location). I believe thats why locals starting calling it Uptown, cause in most cases, it seems as if you're looking UP at it.
Yep, for this flatlander, the hills can make me quite nervous; and I certainly would not want to try to ride a bicycle on them!

Old 09-01-2012, 04:10 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,276,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post

The past few years have been pretty damn hot, this year especially there was plenty of triple digit or close to it.....and I did say NEAR triple digit. Not much difference between 97 and 101 for a Yankee like me.

Flat like the Great Plains? no, but flattish to me compared to where I'm from? Yes.

And my yard is riddled with fire ant mounds every year.
It's been abnormally hot in a lot of places the past few years (not just in the south) but typical temps aren't 97 to 100...high 80s and low 90s as I previous posted.

Again, the hilly/flat perspective is all relative but NO this region ain't high appalachia.....but piedmont or close to foothills. I guess it depends on where you're located/area, I haven't seen any fire ants....so you swapped cockroaches for fire ants, that's trading up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte