Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 07:35 PM

38 posts, read 101,130 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone.
I'm considering a position in Charlotte, and wanted to get a basic idea of what areas of town would be best for a small active family? We have lived mostly in the Western US, and currently live in Southern California, but know little about Charlotte. My wife has spent a few years in New Orleans when she was younger.

My wife and I are in our mid 40s, and she is a stay at home mom and artist, and our son is a very active 2.5 year old. We also have a small dog. We are looking for a home or townhome to rent for 6 months or a year; until we see what areas are best and if we indeed want to put down more permanent roots. We like open spaces and parks or recreation centers, as my son swims 2x per week. A safe area, fenced yard , or access to an area where we can walk and/or bike. We like the outdoors and know nothing about Charlotte as far as weather, bugs, neighborhoods, crime, livability, or culture.

We are educated, fairly quiet and are way past the bar or club scene, and are interested in interacting with others with kids, or visiting historical sights, sporting events, and artistic venues.

I didn't want to write a book, but wanted to provide enough background information to paint picture of us, and any information you can provide is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 08:02 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,729,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imdudesdad View Post
Hello everyone.
I'm considering a position in Charlotte, and wanted to get a basic idea of what areas of town would be best for a small active family? We have lived mostly in the Western US, and currently live in Southern California, but know little about Charlotte. My wife has spent a few years in New Orleans when she was younger.

My wife and I are in our mid 40s, and she is a stay at home mom and artist, and our son is a very active 2.5 year old. We also have a small dog. We are looking for a home or townhome to rent for 6 months or a year; until we see what areas are best and if we indeed want to put down more permanent roots. We like open spaces and parks or recreation centers, as my son swims 2x per week. A safe area, fenced yard , or access to an area where we can walk and/or bike. We like the outdoors and know nothing about Charlotte as far as weather, bugs, neighborhoods, crime, livability, or culture.

We are educated, fairly quiet and are way past the bar or club scene, and are interested in interacting with others with kids, or visiting historical sights, sporting events, and artistic venues.

I didn't want to write a book, but wanted to provide enough background information to paint picture of us, and any information you can provide is greatly appreciated.
LOL, you neglected to tell us the two most important things that will allow up to help you most -

where is your job location and what is your budget for housing??

Old 09-01-2012, 08:03 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,617,537 times
Matthews is a nice suburb for people with kids and has plenty of nearby parks and such.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:22 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,197,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Matthews is a nice suburb for people with kids and has plenty of nearby parks and such.
matthews is great... if you like cookie cutter:

Old 09-02-2012, 07:31 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,806,558 times
I see you are coming from San Diego......3 words.....Please visit first. Grass may not be all that green....just sayin.

Old 09-02-2012, 07:34 AM
amp

519 posts, read 1,516,066 times
There are some great swim facilities in the more southern part of town, Swim Mac and Little Otters among them. Depending on your budget, areas close to those would be ideal.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:56 AM

186 posts, read 436,540 times
Charlotte is absolutely nothing like So Cal (grew up there), but it definitely has some pros over it, but there are also cons.
1) cost of living - Charlotte is dirt cheap compared to So Cal, housing is MUCH cheaper and options abound, taxes are lower, auto insurance is lower, heck just about everything
2) weather - Charlotte has distinct seasons, Fall and Spring are just gorgeous here. SD weather I think is fantastic, low humidity, ocean breeze and really consistently comfortable but no real seasons. Charlotte can be very uncomfortable in the summer with the humidity, but winter is pretty mild and fall/spring really make up for it
3)development/infrastructure - things like highways/roads/airport are much better in So Cal than they are here, we've had lots of growth very fast and the infrastructure has not kept up, traffic is bad, but only because population growth has burdened an underfunded system
4)city - Charlotte is tiny compared to SD, so that limits cultural options but we still do have a growing number of good restaurants, pro-sports teams and major entertainment opportunities like big concerts
You might like Davidson, it is a very bike/pedestrian friendly town - super safe, family friendly and good schools. Davidson College is right there as are little restaurants and shops. The Lake Norman YMCA is right there, is on the water and has lots of aquatics programs (as does Huntersville's Aquatics facility). Lake Norman is no substitute for the Pacific Ocean, but the number of actitivies on the lake continues to grow. However, if your job takes you to the city, you would be looking at a 45-60 minute commute. This area has a boat load of parks, greenways and the like, but a word to the wise, rentals go FAST - like within a week. Good luck with your decision!

Old 09-02-2012, 12:22 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,898,822 times
There are similarities between Charlotte and San Diego. San Diego is a big military town and unlike the rest of California, conservative. The people are similar politically. I know as I visit relatives in Chula Vista and area. My brother-in-law recently moved from San Diego and are very happy they did. They love their kids school and the house that they live which they could never have afforded in San Diego. The major differences are as follows:
1. San Diego weather is the best in the world. Summers here can be very unpleasant.
2. You have a beach. We don't (3 1/2 hours away)
3. San Diego is more spread out although we are pretty spread out as well.
4. You must live in the right part of town to have good schools, ie. S. Charlotte or the outlaying towns, ie. Matthews, Pineville, Cornelius, Davidson, Mooresville, Concord.
5. The environment is like night and day. You are surrounded by deserts. We are surrounded by forrests.
6. We don't have a Tijuana. We have to go to Gastonia. LOL!!! (just kidding)
7. City population of Charlotte 800K. San Diego 1.3 million.

I do enjoy San Diego and think it is maybe my favorite California city. As much as I enjoy it here in the Charlotte, I would stay in San Diego if I could live as well there as here. There is no shortage of ammenities in Charlotte and it is a friendly city with very good and very bad sections, but tons of activities for which to become involved. there is a very good perfoming arts scene, museums, outdoors activities of all varieties, parks, hiking, whitewater rafting in the county, etc.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

Old 09-02-2012, 04:10 PM

38 posts, read 101,130 times
Hello everyone. Thank you for the information.

The position I am considering is in downtown, but would travel within a few hours distance of downtown about 25% of the time. I don't know what rents are, but I figure I'd spend 1200 or so.

As others have said, San Diego is nice, but so very expensive and the schools are not great. Going there is only about a 5% pay increase, and a promotion, but the cost of living would be more too. Rents in San Diego average about 2000 up for a smaller old house in just an ok area. Go to a good area, and it can run 3k up. A 2 bedroom condo in a good area is about 1800. So you can see the price perplexity! Of course rent prices are not everything. I keep saying that anyway :-)

I will look at some of these areas - Davidson, Matthews, Pineville, etc.., and see what it looks like.

Old 09-02-2012, 05:19 PM

4,222 posts, read 7,898,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imdudesdad View Post
Hello everyone. Thank you for the information.

The position I am considering is in downtown, but would travel within a few hours distance of downtown about 25% of the time. I don't know what rents are, but I figure I'd spend 1200 or so.

As others have said, San Diego is nice, but so very expensive and the schools are not great. Going there is only about a 5% pay increase, and a promotion, but the cost of living would be more too. Rents in San Diego average about 2000 up for a smaller old house in just an ok area. Go to a good area, and it can run 3k up. A 2 bedroom condo in a good area is about 1800. So you can see the price perplexity! Of course rent prices are not everything. I keep saying that anyway :-)

I will look at some of these areas - Davidson, Matthews, Pineville, etc.., and see what it looks like.
To be honest, $1200 is pushing it pretty close. A nice but small 2 bedroom will cost 900-1200 in a pretty good area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte