Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2012, 08:27 PM

14 posts, read 45,849 times

Advertisements

Hi. I am thinking about moving to nc within the next couple of years. I want to spend the next year taking small trips to places of interest. I will be passing through Charlotte for a couple of days in December. Where should I stay to get an introductory feel to the suburbs around Charlotte? Id like to stay somewhere central enough to drive around different areas in the short time im there. Ideally Id like to live no farther than 30 minutes outside of Charlotte. Someone told me to stay in Ballantyne but was wondering if anyone had any input? Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2012, 08:49 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monicaot1 View Post
Hi. I am thinking about moving to nc within the next couple of years. I want to spend the next year taking small trips to places of interest. I will be passing through Charlotte for a couple of days in December. Where should I stay to get an introductory feel to the suburbs around Charlotte? Id like to stay somewhere central enough to drive around different areas in the short time im there. Ideally Id like to live no farther than 30 minutes outside of Charlotte. Someone told me to stay in Ballantyne but was wondering if anyone had any input? Thanks!!
I suggest you stay in Matthews right off of I485.

From there you can see Ballantyne, Pineville and Steele Creek to the southwest and Mint Hill, Matthews itself and the University area to the northeast.

Last edited by lovesMountains; 09-03-2012 at 09:08 PM..

Old 09-03-2012, 08:49 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,197,915 times
What are you in to? Kids? Eclectic? Workaholic? White picket fence? Give us something to work from...

Ballantyne is alright, but it's rather bland. I can't imagine vacationing there...

Old 09-03-2012, 08:52 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
If I was you I would stay in Uptown, its more of center and you can drive within same amount of time to each of suburbs.
If you stay in Ballantyne which is south Charlotte you may be making longer trips to suburbs on the north like Huntersville, Cornelius or east side like Plaza Midwood unless you have you mind to live in Ballantyne area. If your in Ballantyne you could also check out Rock Hill in SC all within your 30 minutes.

Old 09-03-2012, 09:08 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monicaot1 View Post
If you're coming in December, visit here one evening. Official Web Site

Old 09-03-2012, 09:09 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
What are you in to? Kids? Eclectic? Workaholic? White picket fence? Give us something to work from...

Ballantyne is alright, but it's rather bland. I can't imagine vacationing there...
Now now, he did say "suburbs", and Ballantyne is the nicest one in the Charlotte area

Old 09-03-2012, 09:17 PM

88 posts, read 129,755 times
There is a bed and breakfast on Morehead St. In Uptown/ South Charlotte called something along the lines of Morehead Inn, or something like that. Can see both Uptown and the nice suburbs.

Old 09-03-2012, 10:23 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,205,533 times
If you want to get the "feel" of charlotte all I can say is charlotte is so big you can get the feel of about anything you can afford.....Many areas in charlotte seem more like little colonies made up of people who mostly are not from charlotte but big cities in the north etc. You need to look for a place where you will hear the wonderful southern accent to know you are in the original real deal city of charlotte area. Hope this helps

Old 09-03-2012, 10:47 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,022,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Now now, he did say "suburbs", and Ballantyne is the nicest one in the Charlotte area
In your opinion perhaps. I think the lake communIties like Davidson and Cornelius blow ballantyne out of the water. And it doesn't meet the qualification of 30 minutes outside charlotte. If you want a central location to look at everything, uptown is your best bet.

Old 09-04-2012, 10:02 AM

14 posts, read 45,849 times
Good point native sun.... So here's what I'm looking for.... Great schools are priority, neighborhoods where you know all your neighbors and have a sense of community with fourth of july get togethers and plenty of play dates, affordable housing $300,000 and less. I say no more than 30 minutes outside of Charlotte because although acreage is nice I need to be within a close drive to shopping, recreation, restaurants etc. Most importantly my husband is a police officer and I'm a pediatric OT so we need to be in a place where we can find work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte