Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If CLT Decided To Regulate Sugar Sweetened Soda's, Your Response Would Be:
Yes: Regulating drink sizes signifies that we are no longer living in a free society. 29 52.73%
No: the health of the individual affects the rest of us, and the Govt. should encourage healthy choices. 11 20.00%
Who cares? Even if it reached Charlotte, it's only soda. 15 27.27%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 01:00 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,651,768 times

Advertisements

I remember when a small coke was small....

now a small is the size of a large coke in the 80's and a large is 64 oz.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2012, 01:04 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,974,905 times
Diet food and governmental involvement in food production has led to people making choices that make them fat. The results on our society speak for themselves. Go back 50 years where none of this existed and you will find that it was rare to find a fat person. Go to Concord Mills and seeing a person who isn't fat is unusual now. Some of the behemoths in that place would be put in circuses as freaks in the first 1/2 of the 20th century.

In Japan, you will find almost no diet food. It's non existent. Over there it's also rare to find a fat person.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:19 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Moving to Montana soon..... -Frank Zappa

This is just the tip of the iceberg my friends.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:47 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,836,203 times
I chose the first option but I am not a fan of the wording.

I see the ban as a policy brought about by a bunch of do-gooders who think they know what's best for you and me. If you really want to address obesity, start talking to parents who use an XBox or PS3 as a digital babysitter. They encourage laziness and some of the worst speech and manners you could imagine in much of our youth. I'll cuss like a drunken sailor in the privacy of my home, but I get on XBox live and I am floored at the language being used by children for no apparent reason other than anonymity.

I am sitting in my garage with a 40 ounce soda and see that it does no harm, other than being mighty tasty. I have lost 20 pounds this summer by being active and not changing my diet a bit. Banning a certain size of soda is a waste of time and will produce few, if any, results.

Old 09-13-2012, 01:48 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,498,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancharlotte View Post
My goodness, if you saw me in person you would take back most of this post. I stand 6'5" 215 lbs and it's all muscle son.

Anyways, I agree that US consumers should have more self-control. However, we've also seen that folks will consume any and everything that is available to them (whether it is good for them or not). Now that the government is getting into the business of health insurance, I suspect there will be many new health-based laws in the near future.

I tend to agree with the need for more self-control. Many of my co-workers look at me and ask "how do you do it"? I simply reply "because I want to do it moreso than I want junk food". Many are offended by my quick response but hey, the truth hurts.
Even small amounts of Aspartame gives me severe diarrhea. Took me a few years to make the connection (well, actually, my gastroenterologist figured it out).

Stevia, etc leave a metallic taste in my mouth. I use raw sugar, but in moderation. Sugar is not the problem; OVER CONSUMPTION is the problem.

As you said - processed foods and too much of anything is what we need to be aware of - that and getting enough physical activity.

I do think it is a person's responsibility to grow up and take control over what he/she consumes. We don't need Govco dictating what we are and are not allowed to consume. That is getting down to basics: eating. If a person has no self control, it doesn't matter what laws there are - they will just order 2 or 3 of "whatever" lol.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:15 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
When I grew up we drank gallons of Coke, Root Beer, Kool Aid sweetened with way too much sugar....heck we consumed giant Pixie stick straws full of pure sugar and we were no wheres near as fat as most kids are these days.
Because we had this thing called OUTSIDE....
And we had this other thing called GYM CLASS...

Sugar is not the enemy people...gluttony and sloth are the enemy.
...along with the nanny state government.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:34 PM

1,139 posts, read 2,362,177 times
Don't make a.difference if you get free refills

Old 09-13-2012, 06:06 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,728,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
When I grew up we drank gallons of Coke, Root Beer, Kool Aid sweetened with way too much sugar....heck we consumed giant Pixie stick straws full of pure sugar and we were no wheres near as fat as most kids are these days.
Because we had this thing called OUTSIDE....
And we had this other thing called GYM CLASS...

Sugar is not the enemy people...gluttony and sloth are the enemy.
...along with the nanny state government.
I agree w/this....it has alot to do with overprotective parents not letting latch key kids play and exersize as much as we did 20-30+ years ago....

Old 09-13-2012, 06:37 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,240,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
BTW-most processed sugar comes from sugar beets, not sugar cane. I read that somewhere.
The vast majority of sugared soda is sweetened with high fructose corn syrup. Very few are sweetened with cane or beet sugar. Cane sugar sweetened soda has made a small comeback in recent years due to the backlash against HFC. (Examples are Throwback Pepsi & Mountain Dew.)

Old 09-13-2012, 07:11 PM
NDL NDL started this thread

4,518 posts, read 5,651,579 times
I'd like to thank each and every one of you for participating in my poll. Once again, I find myself in agreement with those moderate, conservative, and libertarian people that believe in moderation and self governing principles.

Heck - I almost find myself appreciating the intention of those people who voted "No" - for 'do gooders' are usually well intentioned people who are only looking out for what they think are my best interests.

The people who scare me are those who are indifferent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte