Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 11:11 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,975,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
Not really. This is a quite representative of many metro areas: A red ring with a blue hole in the middle. I've lived in several metro areas and this model fits fairly well.
If you look closely at that map it is red all the way to downtown Charlotte, and there is a blue area out on the fringe (Davidson). In other words, it's not the typical red & blue doughnut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 05:24 PM

1,177 posts, read 2,240,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
If you look closely at that map it is red all the way to downtown Charlotte, and there is a blue area out on the fringe (Davidson). In other words, it's not the typical red & blue doughnut.
I didn't mean to suggest it will take the shape of a perfect doughnut. There will always be some outliers and shape morphing, but the concept holds.

Thanks for posting this map!

Old 10-25-2012, 05:28 PM

495 posts, read 1,078,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
No surprise, this map might as well be used by new comers on identifying the "desirable" vs "less-desirable" area to live in Charlotte...
It's strange that "desirable" Charlotteans default to hard-core conservatism as a matter of course. That is decidedly not the case even in other Southern cities, like Raleigh/Durham or even Tallahassee, where even in the "wealthy white" areas you see it more of a 50-50 split.

Old 10-25-2012, 09:23 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,739,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
This is exactly what I would have expected - no surprise... Will be interesting to watch who wins American Ido... <er> the presidential vote. The polls are all over the place.
Agreed, no surprises here at all

Old 10-26-2012, 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueheronNC View Post
It's strange that "desirable" Charlotteans default to hard-core conservatism as a matter of course.
It's not clear to me that if someone decided not to vote for John Forbes Kerry or Barack Hussein Obama, that this makes them a "hard-core conservative". This is all that this map shows. It also doesn't count non-voters.

Old 10-26-2012, 04:45 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,240,512 times
Quote:
It's not clear to me that if someone decided not to vote for John Forbes Kerry or Barack Hussein Obama, that this makes them a "hard-core conservative". This is all that this map shows. It also doesn't count non-voters.
Excellent point that needed to be said. "Republican" does not necessarily mean "Conservative." There are not many true conservatives in government regardless of party.

Heck, just look that the last 2 Republican Presidential candidates: McCain & Romney. Neither are "hard core conservatives" or even close to it. Twenty years ago, the 2012 Presidential race would have been described as a moderate Republican (Romney) vs. a far-left Democrat. Today it is being described (by some) as a moderate Democrat vs. a far-right Republican. With Romney's views on healthcare, I firmly believe he could have been a Democratic Presidential nominee 20+ years ago. Now we are told by the Obama campaign and some media that he's "far right," a charge I've overheard repeated in conversations in restaurants, etc. I can't wait for this election cycle to be over!

Old 10-26-2012, 05:29 AM

2,353 posts, read 4,655,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
No surprise, this map might as well be used by new comers on identifying the "desirable" vs "less-desirable" area to live in Charlotte...
It's important to distinguish what one would find desirable. I live right in the blue section, and love it here, and would die a slow death in a suburban subdivision. Plaza-Midwood is very desirable for many, as is Eastover, as is Ballantyne for others. It depends on priorities.

Quote:
I think it's a matter of social liberalism vs economic conservatism. Unfortunately in the current political system one is forced to put priority on one or the other. It's been my observation that people, who actually have to work for a living, place greater importance on low taxes and economic conservatism over social liberalism. It doesn't mean they are not socially accepting of all kinds, but putting food on the table comes first.

This map pretty much reflects this economic division.
I work for a living, and have all of my adult life, and yet, I put social issues ahead of financial. conservatism in politics. The teachers, cashiers, department store employees, preschool owner, and food servers who are my immediate neighbors all work very hard for a living, and they, too, are right here in the blue with me, with a proliferation of Obama voters. You are equating "high income" with "working for a living" and, well, that's a gross misconception. Putting food on the table comes first for most people I know, red or blue or independent or 3rd party.

Old 10-26-2012, 05:53 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,527,721 times
What area of Mecklenburg are the green areas?

Old 10-26-2012, 06:22 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
It's important to distinguish what one would find desirable. I live right in the blue section, and love it here, and would die a slow death in a suburban subdivision. Plaza-Midwood is very desirable for many, as is Eastover, as is Ballantyne for others. It depends on priorities.

I work for a living, and have all of my adult life, and yet, I put social issues ahead of financial. conservatism in politics. The teachers, cashiers, department store employees, preschool owner, and food servers who are my immediate neighbors all work very hard for a living, and they, too, are right here in the blue with me, with a proliferation of Obama voters. You are equating "high income" with "working for a living" and, well, that's a gross misconception. Putting food on the table comes first for most people I know, red or blue or independent or 3rd party.
great post...

*you must spread some around before*

Old 10-26-2012, 07:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlotteGal View Post
..... You are equating "high income" with "working for a living" and, well, that's a gross misconception. Putting food on the table comes first for most people I know, red or blue or independent or 3rd party.
There are trailer parks in those red areas, so this isn't the case. I'd suggest that if people left their little urban enclaves and got out to see the rest of the county, they might know this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte