Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2013, 07:52 PM

80 posts, read 155,881 times

Advertisements

We are zoned for MH but am also considering CC. Trying to get views from current or past parents of either school.

CC looks quite amazing with caring staff. Wondering what MH will be like in comparison. My children are into sports and the arts. both have good results it seems

Thanks for any views or opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 05:38 AM

985 posts, read 1,902,293 times
I just talked with a mom this past weekend who has a junior at Charlotte Christian and her 9th grade son at Providence High School.

She actually pulled the boy out of Christian because she thought the better fit for him was the public school, one reason he is a swimmer that is his sport of choice, there were other considerations too but both kids had always gone to Christian.

She is extremely happy with both and each fits a certain need.

What sports do your kids play? The size and feel of each school is quite different, Christian versus Marvin Ridge (I also know 3 kids that left MR as freshman to attend Christian and one 8th grader) each for a different reason

Old 03-06-2013, 06:44 AM

Thanks for your points,

Yes the size very different. My son is a footballer and hopes to play at college. Academically average so wondered if the CC would be a better fit for that.

Interesting to leave MR in 9th grade. The school does very well but not sure how much extra help is given to children who are not high achievers.

Don't think either one is necessarily better but as you say each child has a different fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewith3 View Post
I just talked with a mom this past weekend who has a junior at Charlotte Christian and her 9th grade son at Providence High School.

She actually pulled the boy out of Christian because she thought the better fit for him was the public school, one reason he is a swimmer that is his sport of choice, there were other considerations too but both kids had always gone to Christian.

She is extremely happy with both and each fits a certain need.

What sports do your kids play? The size and feel of each school is quite different, Christian versus Marvin Ridge (I also know 3 kids that left MR as freshman to attend Christian and one 8th grader) each for a different reason

Old 03-06-2013, 06:56 AM

985 posts, read 1,902,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix9 View Post
Thanks for your points,

Yes the size very different. My son is a footballer and hopes to play at college. Academically average so wondered if the CC would be a better fit for that.

Interesting to leave MR in 9th grade. The school does very well but not sure how much extra help is given to children who are not high achievers.

Don't think either one is necessarily better but as you say each child has a different fit
Football is a big sport at both, one that left is playing football at Christian. They seem happy with their decision, his grades in middle school were pretty good.

And not everyone at MR is an overachiever, and there is plenty of extra help. Each teacher offers it almost daily after school or before school, there is peer to peer tutoring after school several times a week (I believe) and each teacher has 2 nights a week where they do stay after.

Take Geometry after school hours, I think when my daughter had it almost half of each class went in twice a week for the extra help. There is o shortage of help and trying to get the kids to excel to their fullest potential, at MR. Sometimes, I believe MR gets a bad rap when people think they only help the top of the class, I know plenty of students that had to go to tutoring because of grades to be on the sports team and it has helped tremendously according to their parents. I really believe they are there to help everyone from the brightest to those struggling.

adding: one of the 3 that we know that left went to be the BIG fish in his sport in the much smaller pond. Another said they would look at each of their 4 children when they were ready for high school they too thought they may choose different for their own kids.
More parents than I thought have siblings in different high schools, public versus private, which seems to work for them.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:04 PM

Mewith3

You have told me just what i needed to hear! My son is at the middle school now and i was worried that he would maybe get lost at MRHS because he at present is a middle of the road student who is capable but needs the extra support.

Hence considering CC. I was nervous as i wondered if he would get help and its good to know that extra tuition etc is available and offered.

I appreciate your response.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:34 AM

71 posts, read 86,572 times
Smile Another thing to consider

I think you're overlooking one big factor by focusing on sports, athletics, tutoring help, etc....is a Christian education with emphasis on Biblical teachings, absolute truths and morality right for you and your children? If you are an advocate of gay marriage, mandated contraception, abortion, etc. then Charlotte Christian might not be a good fit. They do have a modest dress code and weekly chapel too.

Just thought it should be something to consider above and beyond the Football program.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:03 PM

152 posts, read 292,314 times
Have you considered Charlotte Catholic HS?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: