Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 09:36 PM

152 posts, read 292,230 times

Advertisements

We are really torn between these two schools. I would prefer a catholic education but I feel that Marvin Ridge may have more to offer. Any insight or experience with either of these schools?? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2012, 01:08 AM

985 posts, read 1,901,734 times
We attend Marvin Ridge, however, if in your mind you prefer a Catholic education, I would say go to Catholic. It is great school from what I have heard from parents who send their children there. They have great sports teams, a variety of clubs and it would incorporate the Catholic part you desire.

I don't think you could go wrong at either.

Maybe if you could better qualify "more to offer" we can help by telling you what each offers as far as clubs, classes, sports etc.

Old 08-24-2012, 02:41 AM

5,453 posts, read 6,044,216 times
http://www.city-data.com/forum/charl...vin-ridge.html

Old 08-24-2012, 07:23 AM

1,554 posts, read 3,368,515 times
As one of the posters in the link that getatag provided, I'd be concerned about distance. I'm very familiar with Catholic and the kids that go there. I'm not aware of too many from Union County. As a high school student, I'd hate to be that far away from my classmates.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:28 AM

2,775 posts, read 5,163,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckles34 View Post
As one of the posters in the link that getatag provided, I'd be concerned about distance. I'm very familiar with Catholic and the kids that go there. I'm not aware of too many from Union County. As a high school student, I'd hate to be that far away from my classmates.
Fully agree, going to same school as kids in the neighborhood should be a major plus for teenagers.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:56 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
Fully agree, going to same school as kids in the neighborhood should be a major plus for teenagers.
You would think, but it really doesn't work that way.

These days, teens in both those schools either have their own cars or have easy access to the family car.

Consequently, they drive a lot, all over to see not only their school friends, but their friends who attend other schools.

Truly, the days of only being friends with people in your own school community are over. With all the social media in place kids in one part of Charlotte make friends with kids in other parts. Not saying EVERYONE, just saying it is common.

Catholic High is a powerhouse, just an awesome school, even for non-Catholics.

The kids who attend there come from all over the city, even from up in Mooresville. I would not let the neighborhood school thing stop me from sending my child there is I were the OP

Just my two cents!

Old 08-24-2012, 09:33 AM

810 posts, read 2,292,313 times
I agree with Loves.
Our children are in private school. Other parents in our neighborhood send their children to Charlotte Latin, Charlotte Christian and Carmel Christian. The majority of kids go to public. But our children and their children have not had any issues making friends in our neighborhood. As a matter of fact, our children have friends in Marvin, Weddington, and the Cuthbertson cluster plus their private school friends.
Having a community pool and the holiday parties like Easter Egg Hunts and Halloween parties etc...help the children meet alot of children in the neighborhood besides just on their street/cul de sac. It helps to live in an active community and be involved.
My major complaint is the drive up Providence Rd. in the mornings to get to school. Traffic is so unpredictable in Charlotte. My stress level usually begins once I hit The Promenade shopping center area. In the afternoons traffic hasn't been a problem.
Good Luck with your decision.
Both are great schools.

Old 08-24-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
You would think, but it really doesn't work that way.

These days, teens in both those schools either have their own cars or have easy access to the family car.

Consequently, they drive a lot, all over to see not only their school friends, but their friends who attend other schools.

Truly, the days of only being friends with people in your own school community are over. With all the social media in place kids in one part of Charlotte make friends with kids in other parts. Not saying EVERYONE, just saying it is common.

Catholic High is a powerhouse, just an awesome school, even for non-Catholics.

The kids who attend there come from all over the city, even from up in Mooresville. I would not let the neighborhood school thing stop me from sending my child there is I were the OP

Just my two cents!
I can see this, but it is more applicable to kids in the last 2 years of high school (when they can drive). For families where both parents work full time, driving kids around is impossible.

Does Catholic HS offer IB as well?

Old 08-24-2012, 10:18 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 28173 View Post
I can see this, but it is more applicable to kids in the last 2 years of high school (when they can drive). For families where both parents work full time, driving kids around is impossible.

Does Catholic HS offer IB as well?
I am not aware of any private schools offering the IB program - that is something public schools need moreso than the privates.

Catholic High does however offer rigorous AP classes.

In addition, in just the last few years there have been a large number of seniors with National Merit recognition - 29 Finalists and 78 Commended - which is huge - no other private school comes close to that record (not even Charlotte Country Day).

And finally, Catholic High sends an average of 95% of each graduating class on to college (and has for years now) - which makes sense since they are a "college prep" high school.

Again a feat no public school can come even close to.

Old 08-24-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I am not aware of any private schools offering the IB program - that is something public schools need moreso than the privates.

Catholic High does however offer rigorous AP classes.

In addition, in just the last few years there have been a large number of seniors with National Merit recognition - 29 Finalists and 78 Commended - which is huge - no other private school comes close to that record (not even Charlotte Country Day).

And finally, Catholic High sends an average of 95% of each graduating class on to college (and has for years now) - which makes sense since they are a "college prep" high school.

Again a feat no public school can come even close to.
Sorry but I cannot find a list with Charlotte area HS's college acceptance, do you have a link?

I did find a list with National Merit for local schools:
National Merit semifinalists named | CharlotteObserver.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte