Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 09:34 PM

1,111 posts, read 1,324,764 times

Advertisements

Maybe there is some sort of time warp. LOL.
I had no experience like that, since the posts earlier I have spoken to 2 friends up north who both back up and support fully the medical issue. One said "the only negatives I ever hear about CANADIAN healthcare is from AMERICANS"
I don't doubt your experiences, I'm just saying I know it's not all bad. From my personal experiences it's been nothing but positive.
As for the higher taxes, if it meant that I wouldn't have to worry about healthcare, would never have to worry about friends and family who can't afford healthcare, I'd have no problem whatsoever with paying higher taxes.
A friend in Canada once told me "I ***** about paying high taxes just as much as the next guy, but if I had to choose I'd much rather do that knowing that I'm covered, my neighbors are covered and everyone in the country is covered than live in a country where people can't afford to get healthy"

I guess there's good and bad in everything, all I know is that we've never had a good health care system in this country. Hopefully the AHCA will be the answer, but if not we shouldn't be afraid to look at other options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 09:48 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,765,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Rob123 View Post
I had no experience like that, since the posts earlier I have spoken to 2 friends up north who both back up and support fully the medical issue. One said "the only negatives I ever hear about CANADIAN healthcare is from AMERICANS"
I don't doubt your experiences, I'm just saying I know it's not all bad. From my personal experiences it's been nothing but positive.
As for the higher taxes, if it meant that I wouldn't have to worry about healthcare, would never have to worry about friends and family who can't afford healthcare, I'd have no problem whatsoever with paying higher taxes.
A friend in Canada once told me "I ***** about paying high taxes just as much as the next guy, but if I had to choose I'd much rather do that knowing that I'm covered, my neighbors are covered and everyone in the country is covered than live in a country where people can't afford to get healthy"

I guess there's good and bad in everything, all I know is that we've never had a good health care system in this country. Hopefully the AHCA will be the answer, but if not we shouldn't be afraid to look at other options.
According to the article which I linked to above, there isn't really a national system per say in Canada. It differs province to province some have a premium and others are more tax driven. So it probably isn't fair to lump Canada as one system because of these differences. It makes sense that if two different people where in different areas of the country paying differently, they may also have a different experience with wait times etc.

It's more like national health insurance but manged differently according to province.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:20 AM

2,775 posts, read 5,166,000 times
Quote:

Canadian healthcare system varies for different provinces, while Ontario (highest population) is 100% public, Alberta has the advantage of a 2 tiers system (public & private). My experience is in Ontario (Greater Toronto Area) and I can tell you the public system keeps adding fees for things that used to be "free". Both provincial and federal governments refuse to confront the "white elephant" head on since it is such a controversial issue for Canadians (a lot of misinformation scares many of them to even consider private).

No question that our health care system is far from perfect, keeping it the same and expecting different results is insane. But as mentioned there is no silver bullet for it. However I do think that tackling it at state level (instead of federal) would be a better approach, too big and diverse to make only one successful common policy.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:38 AM

1,177 posts, read 2,240,512 times
Quote:
...all I know is that we've never had a good health care system in this country.
Care to expand on this? Do you truly mean that the American health care system is lacking, or are you confusing health care with health insurance?

Old 12-20-2012, 07:30 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amploud View Post
Care to expand on this?
...or are you confusing health care with health insurance?
A very good point.

The "medical care industry" in the US has tremendous capability.
People come from all over the world to have the benefit of our doctors and hospitals...
and are able to stay home and still have the benefit of out pharmaceutical developments.

How people can or can't (or just don't) pay for these services...
well, that is a whole other set of questions.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:37 AM

1,111 posts, read 1,324,764 times
I was talking paying for health care, I guess. I take nothing away from the actual care, it's the fact that people have to worry about affording it that is a shame.

28173, I get what you are saying, I can only speak to the healthcare system in BC & Manitoba which has always been stellar as far as my experience either first hand or from friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: