Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 12:45 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,975,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Math doesn't add up? Please share the type of econometric or statistical models you used to deduce this? An hour scanning the web or statistics for dummies just doesn't cut it.
Quote:
....so I suspect they spent between $500 to $1500 over the course of two days...
"so I suspect"?

"So I suspect" isn't a econometric or statistical model. It's an opinion. Hence if your requirement is that one must supply a economic or statistical model in order to deduce whether the $163M is accurate or not, then you didn't pass your own test.

The sales tax report for September 2012 vs September 2011, do not show any bump at all beyond the normal increase/month that has been going on all year. This is a valid statistic and one which suggests that for every $ spent by DNC party goers simply replaced business that otherwise would be there. No doubt a lot of people avoided Charlotte during this period due to the inconvenience, fear drummed up about terrorism, and so forth. There are 85,0000 people working in downtown and many of them were told to work at home rather than deal with the chaos. That is a lot of money not being spent on lunches, parking, and after hour going out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 12:46 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
I said from the very start - if this meant Charlotte went in the hole over having a convention here (didn't matter to me whether DNC or GOP) . . . then it was a bad thing but that I would be the first to step up and give the BIG GRATS should it make money for businesses here.

As with any public relations press release, of course there is going to be spin involved - that is what folks like me are paid to do . . . put things in the best light! :-)

But seems to me that the facts are - we didn't lose money on this convention.

And it seems that I heard lots of positive things about our city while it was going on!

So unless someone can show that the figures are only partial figures and other debt has not been accounted for - looks to me that we should all be very pleased with how Charlotte as a city fared b/c the DNC chose our city for their convention.

I believe many positives came out of having the convention here and as a resident, I was not at all inconvenienced. Now, I don't work uptown! But neither do many people who live here . . . so I would expect the majority of residents felt the convention was not a big inconvenience and things went very well . . . Why not CELEBRATE that and feel good about it?a

If someone shows me hanky panky with the figures - I will be glad to dig into it! But as it stands right now - it appears we did not go into the hole hosting this convention.

Some cities have stated they LOST REVENUE b/c of conventions behind held there. If we didn't, that is good news.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:50 PM

1,355 posts, read 2,680,733 times
Quote:
I guess "special" was the wrong choice of words, but I mean unique or makes it stands out. Of course, Charlotte has received much more attention, especially for people looking to relocate to the southeast. They still attach the state label NC with Charlotte as many people confuse it with a lot of places, Charleston and Charlottesville. A lot of people think Charlotte is in SC.

So, events that provide national exposure and generate $160+ million of economic impact only helps with noteriety...now a superbowl would really kick it up a notch. Until Charlotte pony's up for a dome which is 30-40 years away in my opinion, the superbowl isn't gonna happen.
I surely hope you're not saying you don't expect Charlotte to host the superbowl until 30-40 years from now whenever there's already talks of it...

Charlotte isn't always attached to NC either.

I can't speak for "a lot" of people, but I've never once met anyone who thought Charlotte was in SC.

Events that provide national exposure and generates $160+ million of economic impact that qualifies to Democratics from all over the country and even some Republicans are going to boost the Charlotte name as a city.

Old 01-30-2013, 03:15 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
Great post Ani... Charlotte got a lot of love during the DNC. One thing people need to remember is the person who is questioning the math spent a lot of time trying to convince people the DNC would make Russia laugh at us.

The exposure was definitely worth it and the money generated was on the low end of projections so its not like they reached to hit some magic number.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:17 PM

3,914 posts, read 4,975,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
. One thing people need to remember is the person who is questioning the math spent a lot of time trying to convince people the DNC would make Russia laugh at us.
Your post is nonsense and you are lying. These low blows against other forumers are why many of these topics get closed. Please grow up and stick to the topic instead of these constant attacks. I'm sure that many of us here are simply tired of it.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:56 PM

7,077 posts, read 12,350,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Your post is nonsense and you are lying. These low blows against other forumers are why many of these topics get closed. Please grow up and stick to the topic instead of these constant attacks. I'm sure that many of us here are simply tired of it.
Calm down Frew, I honestly didn't know who he was talking about until YOU replied.

As for the convention itself, it was certainly more successful than I ever imagined it would've been. I honestly thought there would have been more acts of violence and property damage, but none of that happened. More than anything else, this event finally proved to alot of people that Charlotte can handle high profile events and gatherings. The whole Panthers' stadium thing probably has more of a DNC connection than we tend to give it credit for. During the DNC, Charlotte leaders realized that this city should look more seriously at Superbowls and other major sporting events. Now we're hearing talks about an 1,000-room convention hotel (paid for with the same funding source as the Panthers' stadium upgrade). We've even heard talks about a possible 2016 RNC convention bid.

The truth is that the post-DNC effects left on Charlotte can't be measured yet (and probably never will be truly measured). It's impossible to know just how many new companies, new investors, new residents, etc learned about Charlotte due to that convention. For a city like NYC, Boston or Denver, the DNC probably didn't do much. For Charlotte though, it really did finally give a face to a somewhat familiar name. There is no question about it; Charlotte (minus the weather) exceeded expectations during the DNC. Such advertisment is priceless in my book.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:14 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
Its not an attack or a lie. We are talking about the DNC and if one has a history of bashing, cheerleading or being a skeptic there is nothing wrong with labeling them as such.

If the truth is viewed as a low blow or an attack then so be it.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:01 PM

128 posts, read 222,420 times
I'm sure that there will be some "doubters" that won't want to believe the reporting by NPR - but this is an interesting article that answers some of the questions legitametly brrought up previously - I agree sometimes these reports are not accurate. But, sounds like they were trying to not make it to "boosterish." Also remember some of the impact came in the months and years prior to the event so sales tax alone wouldn't qualify.
DNC Meant $163M For Charlotte-Area Economy | WFAE

Plus it looks like 5 million was paid to rent the arena - Corporate cash paid DNC’s arena fee | CharlotteObserver.com

Old 01-30-2013, 08:58 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,205,533 times
Who paid for using the BOA stadium and all the special event cost of setting up there? Surely the taxpayers didnt have to eat that bill when at the last second they changed the plan.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:31 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
Don't forget, this was including motels all over the area. You have to look in multiple counties & then add it up. I tend to think that the figure is probably right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte