Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 01:00 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times

Advertisements

Crestliner thread alert!

I guess this is potentially what can happen when you live in a neighborhood without an HOA.

So anyway, some of my neighbors across the street from me have seemingly recently started operating an auto repair shop out of their front yard. They have a giant trailer thing, and every week there is a different messed up car on the trailer, which takes up a good portion of their front lawn.

On one hand, I think they were actually in pre-foreclosure or something, and since this seems like a fairly recent development, I would hate for them to lose their source of income. On the other hand, I'm pretty certain what they're doing is illegal as the house is not zoned for business use... Plus the house next door to them is for sale and I'm sure a trailer and a car with no bumper on the lawn are not their idea of curb appeal.

I know the popular response will be to go talk to them, which I will probably try to do before anything else. But I'm not quite sure how to start the conversation. "So, I've noticed you guys have had different random junk cars parked in your front yard every week, what's up with that?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 01:04 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
First question, is your property within city limits? There are definitely ordinances . . . but before we go searching, I did need to make sure you are living in the city limits.

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Crestliner thread alert!

I guess this is potentially what can happen when you live in a neighborhood without an HOA.

So anyway, some of my neighbors across the street from me have seemingly recently started operating an auto repair shop out of their front yard. They have a giant trailer thing, and every week there is a different messed up car on the trailer, which takes up a good portion of their front lawn.

On one hand, I think they were actually in pre-foreclosure or something, and since this seems like a fairly recent development, I would hate for them to lose their source of income. On the other hand, I'm pretty certain what they're doing is illegal as the house is not zoned for business use... Plus the house next door to them is for sale and I'm sure a trailer and a car with no bumper on the lawn are not their idea of curb appeal.

I know the popular response will be to go talk to them, which I will probably try to do before anything else. But I'm not quite sure how to start the conversation. "So, I've noticed you guys have had different random junk cars parked in your front yard every week, what's up with that?"
I'd stay out of it. Someone else will report it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
First question, is your property within city limits? There are definitely ordinances . . . but before we go searching, I did need to make sure you are living in the city limits.
No. Unincorporated Meck

Old 02-22-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I'd stay out of it. Someone else will report it.
Probably a good option as well.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:08 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Probably a good option as well.
We're transplants.

I had a situation a couple of years ago & really wanted to call, but realized that my name would be tied to the complaint. I held off & another neighbor made the call.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:09 PM

I did find this . . . and it appears this applies to the county as a whole, not just the city of Charlotte, altho I would want to make sure of this b/f I made a phone call . . . you will note . . . vehicle repair shops . . .

Prohibited home businesses include, but are not
limited to: caterers, food vendors, equipment and
vehicle repair shops, appliance and small me-
chanical repair shops, barber and beauty shops,
kennels, commercial bakeries, veterinarian clinics,
funeral homes, commercial cabinetry shops, weld-
ing, trucking, adult oriented businesses, ware-
housing, vehicular sales, and other similar uses.

ETA: This is one of those situations that I would definitely NOT go talk to the neighbors about! And I wouldn't assume someone else is going to call. Very often, everyone is reluctant to call b/c they are worried they will be dragged into the controversy.

The least you should do is surreptitiously take photos of the goings-on . . . and then mail this with a complaint . . . state that you wish to remain anonymous (don't sign it!!!) but provide the evidence and the address . . . and state when the most likely time is that officials can find the activities in process.

Remember - the angle from which you take the photos can be traced right back to the spot where you were standing when you took the photos, lol. So get in your car and take the photos from some other angle than your own driveway!!!!

Old 02-22-2013, 01:16 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
ehh...I wouldn't report them but I may go by a neighbor or 2 and try to weave it into the convo to see what their thoughts are on the situation.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
ehh...I wouldn't report them but I may go by a neighbor or 2 and try to weave it into the convo to see what their thoughts are on the situation.
And then what? Hope to incite one of them to make the phone call you don't plan on making?

Old 02-22-2013, 01:28 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,759,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
And then what? Hope to incite one of them to make the phone call you don't plan on making?
Anybody that rude isn't going to appreciate somebody's nose in their business. I don't hope to rehabilitate the jack butts that blow their horn when they want to let someone know their ride is there. I can't imagine it being better at that scale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte