Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 06:02 PM

3 posts, read 3,943 times

Advertisements

Hey City Data Community,

I got some of my information through different threads on this site but I was wondering if anyone could provide me with some more info? I am on my 3rd interview for a really nice position and will be having my in-person interview toward the end of the week. I will have about 2 days to kill to explore the Charlotte area. If I got this job I may have to start within 3 weeks to a month, so it wouldn't give me a lot of time to relocate from where I'm currently living in the Philadelphia area. But I have a few questions on which I will elaborate below:

1. Where are good areas to look to live? I am a 26 year old single guy and I do like to go out once in awhile, but I got most of the bar scene out of my system in college. Don't get me wrong I still enjoy going out with friends but not all the time. I'm pretty laid back and like having open space around me, but at the sametime like being close to places where things are going on. So I guess I'm looking for an area that has social events going on around it, is affordable (meaning nothing above $1,000 but preferably lower), is in a safe area where I don't have to look over my shoulder when I walk around and some open space where you don't feel like you're packed in like a sardine like in a lot of Northeastern cities. My possible job would be at Central Piedmont Community College so preferably within a half hour commute...no more than 45 minutes!

2. Are there any good sports/social clubs for people around my age? I like to stay active and play sports/workout. From my research it sounds like Charlotte has a lot of intramural sports/pick-up leagues going on but I was curious if anyone could recommend anything? Nothing too intense, more of a social sports or outdoor activity club?

3. Where are the areas to avoid? Meaning when I'm driving around the city this week and in the future where are areas that I would be wise not to step foot/drive in/not look for an apartment in?

4. Would anyone recommend any good non-denom churches to check out/do more research on? My faith and church community is a pretty big part of my life and if I relocated would probably be 1 of the first things I would try and get involved with. I'm really into my faith (which partly explains why the bar scene doesn't excite me as much anymore), but I guess I'm more of a liberal Christian for a lack of a better word haha. Meaning that I'm committed to my faith and have those views, but I'm not a Bible-thumper by any means and am pretty easy-going, I still enjoy a nice beer and come from the school of "it's all good" lol. So I guess that means I'm looking for a non denom church that's really into its faith, but that's maybe more modern in its views and not the stereotypical church you see in movies in the Bible Belt

5. How receptive are Charlotters (don't know the term) to outsiders? For people who've relocated how long did it take you to get used to everything? I know Charlotte has a huge transplant population, but I also know you can drive 30-40 minutes and truly be in "The South." I would like to think that I'm a nice, respectful and outgoing person, so I can usually make friends fairly quickly. But are people less receptive to opening up to you if you're a "Yankee" or an outsider? What are social events that are common for those down there? What's the culture like...a mix between North and South? What were the hardest things to adjust to? I've never been to Charlotte except for driving through but have spent a lot of time in Atlanta so I could imagine they may be similar?

6. What's the transportation like in the city? How accessable is the public transportation, specifically the train line? What's traffic like/is the city pretty driveable?

7. Any local watering holes you would recommend as far as restuarants, bars, historical or local treasures?

I apologize for the novel, if I get this job I have to make a REALLY quick decision about it, so I want to have as much info when I come down there this week. This is so I can feel enough confidence about my decision if I get it and get a good enough feel about the city in 2-3 days. If I decide to take the job, I can come down another long weekend to specifically look at living arrangements, but I just want to have enough info to factor toward a possible decision.

Any answers to all of just one of these questions would be most helpful

Thanks again City Data Community!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2013, 06:11 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesfan125 View Post
Hey City Data Community,

I got some of my information through different threads on this site but I was wondering if anyone could provide me with some more info? I am on my 3rd interview for a really nice position and will be having my in-person interview toward the end of the week. I will have about 2 days to kill to explore the Charlotte area. If I got this job I may have to start within 3 weeks to a month, so it wouldn't give me a lot of time to relocate from where I'm currently living in the Philadelphia area. But I have a few questions on which I will elaborate below:

1. Where are good areas to look to live? I am a 26 year old single guy and I do like to go out once in awhile, but I got most of the bar scene out of my system in college. Don't get me wrong I still enjoy going out with friends but not all the time. I'm pretty laid back and like having open space around me, but at the sametime like being close to places where things are going on. So I guess I'm looking for an area that has social events going on around it, is affordable (meaning nothing above $1,000 but preferably lower), is in a safe area where I don't have to look over my shoulder when I walk around and some open space where you don't feel like you're packed in like a sardine like in a lot of Northeastern cities. My possible job would be at Central Piedmont Community College so preferably within a half hour commute...no more than 45 minutes!

2. Are there any good sports/social clubs for people around my age? I like to stay active and play sports/workout. From my research it sounds like Charlotte has a lot of intramural sports/pick-up leagues going on but I was curious if anyone could recommend anything? Nothing too intense, more of a social sports or outdoor activity club?

3. Where are the areas to avoid? Meaning when I'm driving around the city this week and in the future where are areas that I would be wise not to step foot/drive in/not look for an apartment in?

4. Would anyone recommend any good non-denom churches to check out/do more research on? My faith and church community is a pretty big part of my life and if I relocated would probably be 1 of the first things I would try and get involved with. I'm really into my faith (which partly explains why the bar scene doesn't excite me as much anymore), but I guess I'm more of a liberal Christian for a lack of a better word haha. Meaning that I'm committed to my faith and have those views, but I'm not a Bible-thumper by any means and am pretty easy-going, I still enjoy a nice beer and come from the school of "it's all good" lol. So I guess that means I'm looking for a non denom church that's really into its faith, but that's maybe more modern in its views and not the stereotypical church you see in movies in the Bible Belt

5. How receptive are Charlotters (don't know the term) to outsiders? For people who've relocated how long did it take you to get used to everything? I know Charlotte has a huge transplant population, but I also know you can drive 30-40 minutes and truly be in "The South." I would like to think that I'm a nice, respectful and outgoing person, so I can usually make friends fairly quickly. But are people less receptive to opening up to you if you're a "Yankee" or an outsider? What are social events that are common for those down there? What's the culture like...a mix between North and South? What were the hardest things to adjust to? I've never been to Charlotte except for driving through but have spent a lot of time in Atlanta so I could imagine they may be similar?

6. What's the transportation like in the city? How accessable is the public transportation, specifically the train line? What's traffic like/is the city pretty driveable?

7. Any local watering holes you would recommend as far as restuarants, bars, historical or local treasures?

I apologize for the novel, if I get this job I have to make a REALLY quick decision about it, so I want to have as much info when I come down there this week. This is so I can feel enough confidence about my decision if I get it and get a good enough feel about the city in 2-3 days. If I decide to take the job, I can come down another long weekend to specifically look at living arrangements, but I just want to have enough info to factor toward a possible decision.

Any answers to all of just one of these questions would be most helpful

Thanks again City Data Community!
I moved down from South Jersey. I live 30 miles out & I don't see much of a difference. Now, mind you, if you go out another 25 miles or so, it is different. Going out that far isn't likely to be high on your agenda, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:07 PM

186 posts, read 436,600 times
Since CPCC has several campuses in Charlotte, that information would helpful to know that to gauge commute times from particular areas. SouthPark and SouthEnd are popular with the twenty something crowd due to the abundance of services, things to do, and proximity to Uptown. I think there are apartments available for between $1000-1500 within walking distance to lightrail. The only line runs due South from Uptown down to Pineville. Buses are really the only other public transit except for the Gold Rush trolley that circulates uptown. Dilworth and the East Blvd area tends to be pretty popular with the 20ish set as well, not sure about price in that area. Two clubs I know of in the area are the Tar Heel Trailblazers if you like mountain biking, and there is the Charlotte Disc Golf Club... lots of disc golf courses in the area, I don't play, but it sure seems popular.

For the most part Charlotte is friendly to transplants as there are many here, what people are not so friendly about is when people arrive without employment and proceed to complain about everything including how great things were "back home", the fangs come out. Its actually pretty difficult to find an actual native, most people came from elsewhere.

My personal recommendation is Vida which is at the Epicenter, fantastic Mexican and very popular. Bad Daddy's Burger Bar is very popular in Dilworth, and Price's Chicken Coop is said to have the best fried chicken around is in South End, basically considered a Charlotte institution. Hope this helps!

Old 02-25-2013, 08:39 PM

3 posts, read 3,943 times
Thanks for the advice guys!

Southbound: Do you guys have any equivalent to a Wawa down there? Haha already trying to figure out what I would do without one!

Kby1108: Thanks for the input, will definitely have to check that out! If I get it I would be working on the Main Campus off Elizabeth Ave.

Old 02-25-2013, 08:57 PM

6,319 posts, read 10,347,241 times
Nothing like Wawa unfortunately. Sheetz is probably the next best thing but the closest one is in Salisbury about 45 minutes away. There are plenty of Wawa's right off 95 starting around Richmond if you ever drive back to the Philly area. They've actually started opening some in Florida so hopefully they make their way to NC eventually.

For some reason I am drawing a blank as to areas to suggest for you, but that's mainly because there are several different areas that would work. There are probably some areas you'd want to avoid living in such as some parts of East, West and North Charlotte, but IMO there isn't any place in the Charlotte area that is unsafe to drive through if you're just driving around exploring.

As the other posters have said, there are a lot of transplants in Charlotte, but most of them move here to get away from the rude northerners and are friendly, as are most of the natives unless you complain about things that Charlotte doesn't have (I think Wawa is the only thing I really miss...there are good pizza places, bagel shops, and even half-decent cheesesteaks down here).

There are few traffic bottlenecks in the area, partially due to construction, but traffic is a breeze compared to many other places IMO.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:11 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesfan125 View Post
Thanks for the advice guys!

Southbound: Do you guys have any equivalent to a Wawa down there? Haha already trying to figure out what I would do without one!

Kby1108: Thanks for the input, will definitely have to check that out! If I get it I would be working on the Main Campus off Elizabeth Ave.
No WaWa. 7-11 has returned to the area after being gone for years.

However, it is possible to get a respectable hoagie. Steak 'n Hoagie Shop - Charlotte, North Carolina Cheesesteaks The bread is not the best, but I've had far worse outside of the immediate Delaware Valley. At least they make 'em right. They do not, however, offer the hot cherry peppers. I can buy the San-Del but haven't seen the Cento peppers. If you prefer Cento, bring your own.

Old 02-26-2013, 01:48 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,975,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Nothing like Wawa unfortunately. Sheetz is probably the next best thing but the closest one is in Salisbury about 45 minutes away.
There is also one in Statesville near I-77 & I-40.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:15 AM

905 posts, read 3,455,145 times
Be sure to check out Plaza Midwood. It is <2 miles from CPCC Main campus. You could walk, bike or bus it very easily. It is also a hub of restaurants, bars, and clubs. The neighborhood is very green and leafy. There is a small park in the neighborhood.

Other options are Dilworth and Elizabeth neighborhoods. They offer local restaurant and bar options. Plus they are fairly close to CPCC as well.

You should be able to find something in the $1,000 range in those neighborhoods. Most rentals will be a duplex or triplex. There some complexes but not many and they might be over budget.

You may run across NoDa, it's a trendy neighborhood, funky shops and eateries. The neighborhood has been transitioning for awhile but still seems to be plagued by theft.

Traffic: choose one of the above neighborhoods and your commute will pretty stress less. I would avoid commuting via I-77, I-85, or Independence Blvd.

As for gym's check out the Central Y on Morehead.

Good Luck!

Old 02-26-2013, 07:02 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,653,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
No WaWa. 7-11 has returned to the area after being gone for years.

However, it is possible to get a respectable hoagie. Steak 'n Hoagie Shop - Charlotte, North Carolina Cheesesteaks The bread is not the best, but I've had far worse outside of the immediate Delaware Valley. At least they make 'em right. They do not, however, offer the hot cherry peppers. I can buy the San-Del but haven't seen the Cento peppers. If you prefer Cento, bring your own.
Taste of Philly in University had good cheese steaks but I think they closed. They were too expensive IMO.

Old 02-26-2013, 08:21 AM

602 posts, read 574,315 times
If you're going to be at CPCC Main, then:

Elizabeth, Plaza-Midwood, Midtown, Costwold, Southend, Cherry, Wilmore, Dilworth should all be options.

Watering holes: I probably frequent Kickstand on Central Ave the most these days. Burgers and wings are great and they have tons of TVs and most of their beers are local (NC), though they have a lot of other beers as well. Jackalope Jacks, Whiskey Warehouse, Peculiar Rabbit, Ed's, many, many more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte