Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 11:27 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times

Advertisements

As far as NFL salaries are concerned... they are definitely a problem, but not for NFL teams. Its a public relation problem. The average joe doesnt like seeing a guy get millions to play a game. Now, we all know its a business but deep down this is the real issue.

I dont think the Panthers will leave for LA. There is too much money being made with an average team in a small market to run to LA... LA is risky and it isnt a football town. Cleveland moving to Baltimore is different IMO.

..and one other thing. No one visits a city and complains about the taxes at a restaurant... thats internet fluff. I know a bunch of transplants from PA and we never say "whew.. those taxes are a killer when I go home and eat downtown... next time Im packing a lunch."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2013, 12:17 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post

..and one other thing. No one visits a city and complains about the taxes at a restaurant... thats internet fluff. I know a bunch of transplants from PA and we never say "whew.. those taxes are a killer when I go home and eat downtown... next time Im packing a lunch."
HA! Well maybe your friends and family don't complain. I not only hear locals complain, I hear visitors complain and that includes clients as well as employees of companies who spend time here.

Old 03-12-2013, 01:18 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
HA! Well maybe your friends and family don't complain. I not only hear locals complain, I hear visitors complain and that includes clients as well as employees of companies who spend time here.
Of course you do Ani... People who dig through city records looking for wasteful spending and tax hikes tend to hear nothing but these types of complaints. They are also quick to make sure the visiting clients are aware of how high these taxes are... LOL.

I specifically said visitors...

of course locals will complain when a tax is raised. That's natural...

Old 03-12-2013, 01:32 PM

2,348 posts, read 3,461,335 times
JR is making a lot of money in his hometown and he's not hurting as it is anyways. As long as he's in control the team isn't going anywhere IMO. The problem is the players salaries and the burden it puts on everyone else to compensate for the ever increasing amounts they are paid, from concessions to tickets to stadium upgrades, we all pay for those higher player salaries indirectly.

But, until people quit watching or demand a change, it will continue to be that way.

Old 03-12-2013, 01:34 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,609,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I don't think I have ever heard one person complain about Charlotte's prepared food tax. And, I doubt it would be material enough to change behavior.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:06 PM

1,343 posts, read 3,335,039 times
Jerry Richardson is 76 years old (will be 77 this July) and is on his second heart. If he says he will not move the team from Charlotte, I tend to believe him. I would also expect him to have a relatively short timetable for the Panthers to become competitive.

Old 03-12-2013, 03:12 PM

3,183 posts, read 7,200,415 times
McCory has a record of spending tax dollars on big business deals regardless of the taxpayers saying no..JR and McCory had this thing planed before the election.. Now its time to do the deal...."deals" have been made and I bet FOX is involved in it too.We are lucky they don't want to tear the arena down and build a new one in another spot cause money don't mean a thing them when it isnt their money

Old 03-12-2013, 03:32 PM

1,877 posts, read 4,863,254 times
Two things about this crap REALLY gall me. First, the Panthers made $100 MILLION in profit, over 2 seasons. I'm making the same wage I made 3 years ago, and these SOBs want some more corporate welfare, at OUR expense??

Second, in the nearly 7 years I've lived here I can only recall a handful of non-football related events being held at the stadium. Of those, there were a few (maybe 4 or 5) international soccer games, and ONE concert. As I understand it, this is so because JR doesn't want his field torn up. Some very large music acts bypass us, for Greensboro, because we don't have a large enough venue. George Strait is a perfect example. There are certainly others. Why would I want to give $100+ million to someone who ONLY cares about football?

Old 03-12-2013, 04:02 PM

6,321 posts, read 10,335,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XcapefromNJ View Post
I would also expect him to have a relatively short timetable for the Panthers to become competitive.
What makes you believe this?

Old 03-12-2013, 04:09 PM

209 posts, read 461,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoagie58 View Post
Two things about this crap REALLY gall me. First, the Panthers made $100 MILLION in profit, over 2 seasons. I'm making the same wage I made 3 years ago, and these SOBs want some more corporate welfare, at OUR expense??

Second, in the nearly 7 years I've lived here I can only recall a handful of non-football related events being held at the stadium. Of those, there were a few (maybe 4 or 5) international soccer games, and ONE concert. As I understand it, this is so because JR doesn't want his field torn up. Some very large music acts bypass us, for Greensboro, because we don't have a large enough venue. George Strait is a perfect example. There are certainly others. Why would I want to give $100+ million to someone who ONLY cares about football?
Stadiums aren't usually used for concerts and Charlotte tends to beat out Greensboro and Raleigh for mainstream artists tour locations in the Carolinas...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte