Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 08:15 PM

1,055 posts, read 2,128,498 times

Advertisements

My main reason for posting this is that there seems to be a potential "hush, hush" about this robbery that occurred at the Qdoba Mexican Grill at the Arboretum yesterday. One of the local news stations mentioned this during the 5pm news, saying the gunman had what appeared to be an AK47, robbed the cash registers and the customers. I was trying to get more information on this and cannot find the story anywhere. It's as if this never happened. This is so unlike local media, especially considering the weapon used. Makes me wonder if Arboretum asked local media to quell the news as not to alarm customers......Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2013, 10:32 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,654,169 times
Where'd you hear about this?

I scanned all of the local news sites, and can't find the story anywhere.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:13 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,022,928 times
TV news is known for looking before they leap and getting things wrong. That's probably what happened here. You can call CMPD records department if you want.

Old 04-10-2013, 04:51 AM

821 posts, read 1,855,595 times
How many people can ID an AK-47? What they saw "appeared" to be an AK-47, could have been any number of guns from a .22 that "appeared" to be an "assault rifle." People who get their hands on an AK-47 don't go robbing Mexican restaurants; they have bigger targets in mind, i.e., a bank or other venues where there will be large amounts of cash for the taking at the barrel of a gun. Restaurants do much of their sales via credit cards.

This is a strange story, but in Charlotte it's just another armed robbery (dog bites man). The "appeared to be an AK-47" sounds like a filler on a slow news day for the reporting station.

JMHO

Old 04-10-2013, 05:55 AM

1,585 posts, read 1,932,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampfoxer View Post
My main reason for posting this is that there seems to be a potential "hush, hush" about this robbery that occurred at the Qdoba Mexican Grill at the Arboretum yesterday. One of the local news stations mentioned this during the 5pm news, saying the gunman had what appeared to be an AK47, robbed the cash registers and the customers. I was trying to get more information on this and cannot find the story anywhere. It's as if this never happened. This is so unlike local media, especially considering the weapon used. Makes me wonder if Arboretum asked local media to quell the news as not to alarm customers......Any thoughts?
Why would the news stations care about what the people at the Arboretum want in the news? Perhaps the reason you are not hearing about it is that it never happened or it did not happen the way your phantom news story said.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:30 AM

14,688 posts, read 26,622,608 times
It can be TOO "hush hush" or they wouldn't have mentioned it on the news to begin with.

Old 04-10-2013, 06:36 AM

15,355 posts, read 12,656,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulosfm View Post
How many people can ID an AK-47? What they saw "appeared" to be an AK-47, could have been any number of guns from a .22 that "appeared" to be an "assault rifle." People who get their hands on an AK-47 don't go robbing Mexican restaurants; they have bigger targets in mind, i.e., a bank or other venues where there will be large amounts of cash for the taking at the barrel of a gun. Restaurants do much of their sales via credit cards.

This is a strange story, but in Charlotte it's just another armed robbery (dog bites man). The "appeared to be an AK-47" sounds like a filler on a slow news day for the reporting station.

JMHO
"Assault rifle" is a very popular word right now... doesn't matter if one is at the scene of the crime or not.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:52 AM

6,151 posts, read 10,031,455 times
Seriously... the CMPD police chief is in DC making a case for tougher gun laws and the media (who is generally accused of taking any little opportunity to sensationalize gun violence) is "hush hush" over the use of an assault rifle to rob a burrito shop in south charlotte? Really?

Old 04-10-2013, 07:56 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,512,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Seriously... the CMPD police chief is in DC making a case for tougher gun laws and the media (who is generally accused of taking any little opportunity to sensationalize gun violence) is "hush hush" over the use of an assault rifle to rob a burrito shop in south charlotte? Really?
LOL. Well, the crime should be reported regardless of whether or not the weapon is identified or speculated upon.

Armed robbery is armed robbery.

I can't find a report on a robbery at that location but that doesn't mean it didn't happen.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:41 AM

11,411 posts, read 7,810,844 times
No report to be found anywhere. We get breaking news stories in Charlotte about 10 car pile-ups in South Dakota. I doubt a story of this level of sensation would be ignored by the ever eager for ratings local broadcasters regardless of the wishes of a strip shopping mall. If this did happen, it would have been reported.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte