Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2006, 08:43 PM

8 posts, read 34,113 times

Advertisements

We live in Minnesota, thought about moving to Charlotte, but were concerned because we have a child who recieves special services from our county here because of a brain injury. Any thoughts on that? My husband works in accounting and had job offers so that was our main concern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2006, 08:49 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,087,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mngma View Post
We live in Minnesota, thought about moving to Charlotte, but were concerned because we have a child who recieves special services from our county here because of a brain injury. Any thoughts on that? My husband works in accounting and had job offers so that was our main concern.
Thought about moving to Charlotte, or the Charlotte area?

Are you concerned about educational, medical, therapeutic or personal services?

My son is 13, with moderate to severe special needs. We moved from NJ to Union County (NC) in November. So far, I have been very happy with the transition.

SL

Old 12-27-2006, 08:57 PM

2,115 posts, read 7,087,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC2STAY View Post
hey... i just thought of something... ahhh, i guess i am not asleep yet huh?

anyhoo, i never realy budgeted my money in ny, we made enought and had a low mortgage so e coulddo what we want. here, in nc, i need to make a buget until we are financialy were we want to be. once i get that up and runnig i will try to remember to post my bills.

so far, hat i do know is with windstream i pay about $115 or $125 for inernext, cable and phone - unlimited local and long distance thank you very much - with relatives in ny and the way that i talk... ayyy-ooohhh fo-r-ged a-bow-dit!!

let's see... water is not to bad, not what i thought! people here tell me all the time they have like $300, $400 + water bills... what the hell are they doing, piping it to a 3rd world country or something - i dont' get it? my last water bill, i.e. septemer, was i think around $85. we think it is because we do not use the dishwasher ritually every day for every meal like everyone else here, lol! last month we got sod (a gift from centex) and e ha a couple of irrigation issues so we shall see what that bill is.

electric and gas are both not to bad either. i think gas is more, i am not sure.

my hoa are around $415/$515a year, i can't remeber and my taxes this year are only like $2000 or something because it was an empty lot for 1/2 the year. they will go up next ear but say not by much. hey... who are "they" any way?

okay, enough said. good night again.

hey maryane, you gettin' all t

I laughed hysterically at your comments on water. We arrived here at the start of November from NJ and every time my husband gets into the shower, I remind him about what I read here about water bills! My 13-year-old picked up the water hose to "water the lawn" one day shortly after our arrival and I swear I almost had a heart attack.

We haven't gotten a water bill yet but I've been bracing myself, all because of what I have read on this board! I'd like to know what folks are doing with all the water too. My husband has taken to trying to shower when I'm not home to avoid me timing him. Poor smelly guy.

SL

Old 01-02-2007, 07:38 PM

7 posts, read 22,267 times
Hey NC2STAY!
My family and I are also in the process of moving from NY (Queens) to NC (Mount Holly). We have a 7 year old son who will be in the third grade by the time we settle there. Currently we are having our home built and I'm in the process of looking for work in North Carolina (we should be settled by early summer). What school does your son go to and is he happy there? What stores can I consider when I shop for furniture?

Old 01-03-2007, 09:26 AM

16 posts, read 56,804 times
Red face Need Advice

My husband and I are looking to relocate from Boston to Charlotte in the spring/summer. We are looking to purchase our first home (not starter) and need advice. We have been looking online at several homes, and most recently are thinking about selecting a builder. So far, we like the stlye of the Saussy Burbank homes.

My questions are: Do we need a realtor? Should we get a relator? How to we verify the builder uses quality products? We do plan to come down in Feb to look. I have a ton of questions, but let's start with these.

Thanks.

Old 01-03-2007, 09:31 AM

1,895 posts, read 6,170,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cake View Post
My husband and I are looking to relocate from Boston to Charlotte in the spring/summer. We are looking to purchase our first home (not starter) and need advice. We have been looking online at several homes, and most recently are thinking about selecting a builder. So far, we like the stlye of the Saussy Burbank homes.

My questions are: Do we need a realtor? Should we get a relator? How to we verify the builder uses quality products? We do plan to come down in Feb to look. I have a ton of questions, but let's start with these.

Thanks.
First, let me preface this by saying I am a realtor, so...um...yes...you need a realtor. Realtors know the area where you are buying, have a good sense of the real estate market, can assist you with selecting a good builder, negotiating where possible, and monitoring the construction of your home. Commissions are paid by the seller (or builder), so this comes at no additional cost to you. If you are looking to build, it will generally take at least 5 months, unless you are considering an inventory home. Feel free to PM me if you would like additional information or would like some assistance. Best of luck in your relocation (we relocated from NY 8 yrs ago...)

Old 01-23-2007, 03:55 PM

1 posts, read 2,229 times
Default Hoping To Live In Union Cty By 8/07

Quote:
Originally Posted by slvrcts04 View Post
Hi NC2STAY,
I saw in your earlier post that your friend lived in Wantagh. Is that where you're from? I grew up in Seaford, them moved to Massapequa. Ultimately, I ended up in Suffolk County because it was "cheaper" at the time.
My dad owned the Hess station on Wantagh Ave. way back when.
Now it's off to NC!
HELLO ! My wife and I and 2 young kids,are planing to move to union cty we hope by 8/07 before school.we live in wantagh,ny for 10 1/2 yrs,and we are looking for a nice quality oflife, with nice people,good schools,and a modest home.ive been researching indian trail, waxhaw,weddington areas.your posts have been fantastic,and i enjoy reading them.nc2 stay all i can say is wow!!.so much info,thank you so much.im hoping to come down in april to purchase. can i put a small deposit down to hold a home till my house in ny sells?is $1000 good.please inform asap. all nc2 stay who does keith work with? i would want to hook up with him.thanks!!

Old 01-30-2007, 10:19 AM
ny4

67 posts, read 235,783 times
Default Staten Island to Charlotte?

Would appreciate some advice...where exactly did you buy if you don't mind my asking? How did your son adjust? How did you adjust? What school does son attend? So many questions..so little time!! thanks

Old 01-30-2007, 10:45 AM

12 posts, read 36,449 times
Default Centex Homes any good?

My husband and I are thinking about moving from Boston to NC in a couple of years. We would like to have a house built and have fallen in love with Wesley Oaks (Centex Homes). Any thoughts on this home builder? I had read earllier in this thread that someone had a bad experience with them. What happened? Also, any info on upcoming new developments and home builders?

Thanks!

Old 01-30-2007, 11:51 AM

1,895 posts, read 6,170,034 times
I believe Wesley Oaks is just about built out...

There are new communities springing up all over the place. I would be happy to send you a New Homes Guide -- just PM me Best of luck to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte