Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2013, 08:29 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,968,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
In other words... only Foxx bashing ....
And also unqualified praise which ignores points being made. Ying & Yang

Foxx is a very divisive politician. From what I can see, he is the most divisive mayor that I think Charlotte has had for decades.

Divisive politicians only get undeserved praise or bashing, depending upon the side you are on, because beyond dividing the voters, they accomplish little else. I think this description fits Foxx exactly. His juvenile behavior at the MetLife announcement demonstrated that exactly.

He will fit right in with the Obama administration. The sad fact however is that for the USA, little will be accomplished at the DOT except to waste a lot of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2013, 01:10 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,830,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post

At the end of the day, I guess we're more qualified as regular posters on this board to decide who's qualified and who's not... cause you know - we're smart and politicians are dumb.

A couple reasons I don't like Foxx: he insists on building a streetcar when we can't afford it, it will take a tax increase to fund it, and he thinks we have any faith in local government on the heels of the county beating thousands of us over the head with the new property tax revals.

At least be smart enough to put one fire out/let it go out (revals) before building a new one. Maybe patient enough is the right phrase. And we've got Jerry Richardson trying to get in our pockets on top of all of this. It's not that people hate the streetcar or Foxx, we hate the timing. Sure, it would be great for the city if implemented properly and when we can afford it (city and the residents), but trying to force it on us will not gain nearly as much support. Again, patience. One thing at a time.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 04-03-2013 at 07:31 AM.. Reason: orphan : the post you replied to was deleted

Old 03-23-2013, 06:09 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post

A couple reasons I don't like Foxx: he insists on building a streetcar when we can't afford it, it will take a tax increase to fund it, and he thinks we have any faith in local government on the heels of the county beating thousands of us over the head with the new property tax revals.

At least be smart enough to put one fire out/let it go out (revals) before building a new one. Maybe patient enough is the right phrase. And we've got Jerry Richardson trying to get in our pockets on top of all of this. It's not that people hate the streetcar or Foxx, we hate the timing. Sure, it would be great for the city if implemented properly and when we can afford it (city and the residents), but trying to force it on us will not gain nearly as much support. Again, patience. One thing at a time.
Very well put.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 04-03-2013 at 07:32 AM.. Reason: orphan: the post you replied to was edited

Old 04-03-2013, 07:40 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Bloomberg reports Mayor Foxx is leading candidate for transportation secretary.

Obama Said to Consider McGuire and Kramer for Treasury - Bloomberg

Old 04-03-2013, 08:18 AM

For someone who seems to love to going in front of the camera, Foxx has been remarkably absent over the last few weeks. I don't recall any statements about the streetcar, the panthers, anything over since early March. This makes me think the rumor is true.

Foxx's appointment will have to be confirmed by the US Senate which is currently controlled by the Democrats.

Old 04-03-2013, 03:52 PM

241 posts, read 303,839 times
I don't like fox for the aforementioned reasons given by Spankys BBQ. In addition, I don't like the way he was able to slide his wife into her previous job without going through the job advertising/interviewing time routine all the denying the possibility of hiring a more highly qualified person. Fairness apparantly isn't important to him. Oh well, he will possibly be in D.C. with others that aren't qualified either.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:51 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spankys bbq View Post

First off, it's an extension to the current streetcar project and direct opposition to the community it will serve. There are citizens opposed to any tax money directed towards mass transit or public transit projects. Remember the LRT and petition to repeal the tax that got voted down via the public. So there really is never a "good" time to push for money to support these type of projects.

My issue is with the hypocrisy, McCrory puts together a "coalition" to build the arena with over 200+ million of taxpayer money that was adamantly voted down by citizens....yet, many of the very people criticizing Foxx kind of shrug off the McCrory shove-down-your-throat actions simply due to party affiliation..the man is governor for petes sake.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:31 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,273,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragnar Sigurdsson View Post
I don't like fox for the aforementioned reasons given by Spankys BBQ. In addition, I don't like the way he was able to slide his wife into her previous job without going through the job advertising/interviewing time routine all the denying the possibility of hiring a more highly qualified person. Fairness apparantly isn't important to him. Oh well, he will possibly be in D.C. with others that aren't qualified either.
There's the hypocrisy again! The only time someone receives a high-level of scrutiny regarding "qualification" is when the decision making authority doesn't align with ones party affiliation. Don't get me started on unqualified people getting jobs and promotions based on connections and social circles. More often than not, the hiring authority will design or modify position requirements to meet the minimum qualifications of the person they want to hire pre-job posting - the interview process is a formality. This is nothing new, some people are having difficulty adjusting to the shifting landscape of the hiring authorities and now scream for "fairness".

Fox is qualified to do this job, so are many other people but the hiring authority usually selects who he/she likes....pretty common practice.

Old 04-04-2013, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
First off, it's an extension to the current streetcar project and direct opposition to the community it will serve. There are citizens opposed to any tax money directed towards mass transit or public transit projects. Remember the LRT and petition to repeal the tax that got voted down via the public. So there really is never a "good" time to push for money to support these type of projects.

My issue is with the hypocrisy, McCrory puts together a "coalition" to build the arena with over 200+ million of taxpayer money that was adamantly voted down by citizens....yet, many of the very people criticizing Foxx kind of shrug off the McCrory shove-down-your-throat actions simply due to party affiliation..the man is governor for petes sake.
The event with McCrory and the arena happened more than a decade ago. it seems a bit disingenuous to justify Foxx's decisions with lack of criticism of McCrory from that time. Such discussions would be off-topic. I was soundly against McCrory's actions but I don't drag it into a topic on streetcars because it has nothing to do with it.

In regards to the streetcar and the transit tax, the people who were elected to handle the transit tax, have decided the streetcar is not cost effective and have dropped it from the plan. Foxx unilaterally decided otherwise yet he has not provided any due diligence that the line makes any sense at all. But even this doesn't matter. The Charlotte city council, voted down the Mayor's proposal so it's most likely over and especially if Foxx runs off to join the President's administration. It just another in a long list of failures left behind by this Mayor where he won't be held accountable.

Old 04-04-2013, 11:23 AM

241 posts, read 303,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
There's the hypocrisy again! The only time someone receives a high-level of scrutiny regarding "qualification" is when the decision making authority doesn't align with ones party affiliation. Don't get me started on unqualified people getting jobs and promotions based on connections and social circles. More often than not, the hiring authority will design or modify position requirements to meet the minimum qualifications of the person they want to hire pre-job posting - the interview process is a formality. This is nothing new, some people are having difficulty adjusting to the shifting landscape of the hiring authorities and now scream for "fairness".

Fox is qualified to do this job, so are many other people but the hiring authority usually selects who he/she likes....pretty common practice.
Not quite that easy. When I was a department head for a very large worldwide government affiliated organization, I interviewed in blocks of 12 applicants. There was a 'minimum' of one week to advertise the positiong and another week to accept applications. Due to the technical aspects of the positions, it was required that applicates had appropriate educational qualfications, experience, successful background achevements, and an ability to communicate effectively. If I interviewed applicants that weren't white or Asian, I had to submit a letter to the EEO office explaining why I didn't hire the individual. Unfortunately, some managers sometimes hired less qualified employees just to avoid all of the time consuming paper work.

Occasionally, I would have an applicant that I knew as an outstanding worker and filled all other requirements, therefore, I would lean towards hiring him/her for the good of my department. There were no real opportunities to hire a underqualified person or for nepotism since the qualifications were written in specifics. Since there were no questions allowed that didn't pertain directly to the position being applied for,there was no knowledge of party affiliation which was not an issue anyway. I know that small companies hire the people they want and that is fine with me. It is their investment and that right should be afforded. However, that doesn't apply to the government at any level since we all pay taxes and should demand fairness.

In my many years of experience at the director level at various agencies, I am not aware of a
"hiring authority designing or modifying qualifications to meet minimal requirements so select an a specific applicant. A good manager will select the one that is going to be the best choice to achieve the goals of the company unless it is a very small, non-profit oriented organization.

I think that Foxx is qualified for his job. I didn't appreciate how he slipped his wife through the cracks and go the job for her. But, that is spilled milk. There was an issue with the Chief of Police as well about that time. My disappointment with Foxx is that he doesn't represent the city in his precarious decisions and doesn't seem to know how to prioritize projects and descriminate between what we should have now and what we should have when we can afford it. He has proven to be a disappointment for me. I thouht he would be much better as a mayor. Well, he is going to Washington more than likely for one of the biggest jobs in the country. Very concerning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte