Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-22-2013, 08:07 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,770,021 times

Advertisements

OK, I really am not going to believe this until I hear it but it's the press quoting her. Did anyone see WBT news last night at 11?

Commissioners begin search for County Manager - WBTV 3 News, Weather, Sports, and Traffic for Charlotte, NC

Commissioner Ratliff says she wants someone "who doesn't have any allegiance to anyone – whether it's on the Board or Mecklenburg County or anything like that - someone who can bring fresh new ideas."
Commissioner Ratliff says in her opinion the county needs a "non-white male who can good working relations with all people."
This cannot be right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 03:47 AM

106 posts, read 194,230 times
What a horrible thing for a county commissioner to say. Clearly racist and if she had had been white and said that someone other than a black should take the role, the press would be doing a "Paula Dean" on her. i.e. A public execution. This is a nasty double standard for sure. It's a shame that we all forced to deal with this even in government.

I suppose there should be no surprises. She is district elected from a non-competitive district.

"Diversity" has become a code word for against Whites.

(Edit: Hoping that WBTV got it wrong or that this woman issues a clarification if not.)

Old 06-23-2013, 03:53 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,539,723 times
Yup, I believe it.

Of course, when it is about white folks, it isn't about race. It is only about race if you are saying you don't want a minority person in a position.

On the Anifani prejudice scale, that looks like racism, sexism, and stereotypical thinking.

What happened to that warm and fuzzy thang we folks were supposed have learned: the most qualified person (male or female, Ms. Ratliff, either sex, regardless of race, religion, sexual orientation, etc.) gets the job.

Old 06-23-2013, 04:10 AM

106 posts, read 194,230 times
It seems to be true as she acknowledges it on twitter. This woman doesn't think that a white male can be "forward thinking".

https://twitter.com/kim4Commission/s...99663240310784

http://twitter.com/kim4Commission

Old 06-23-2013, 04:19 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,243,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Yup, I believe it.

Of course, when it is about white folks, it isn't about race. It is only about race if you are saying you don't want a minority person in a position.

On the Anifani prejudice scale, that looks like racism, sexism, and stereotypical thinking.

What happened to that warm and fuzzy thang we folks were supposed have learned: the most qualified person (male or female, Ms. Ratliff, either sex, regardless of race, religion, sexual orientation, etc.) gets the job.
Affirmative action, that's what. Our government told us that we need to accept a certain percentage of "underrepresented" applicants regardless of whether they are the best qualified for the position.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:28 AM

140 posts, read 239,478 times
White males have historically been underrepresented in government. Disgusting!

EDIT: Also, the idea that what Ratliff said is racist represents a gross misunderstanding of what racism actually is.

Why there's no such thing as reverse racism

Old 06-23-2013, 07:42 AM

3,087 posts, read 4,867,198 times
What ever happened to "qualified" applicants for County Manager's jobs? Ethnicity should not be part of the criteria. The best person for the job may be Indian or they may be White...but being Indian is immaterial...as is being White.

Old 06-23-2013, 07:46 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,833,507 times
I agree, look for a qualified candidate with progressive action plan/ideas etc. As said ^ race is immaterial.

Old 06-23-2013, 09:02 AM

372 posts, read 659,742 times
I just wonder why comments like this politician made are considered acceptable in today's society. If a white politician made the comment that a white male should be elected, then Jesse Jackson, Rev. Al, and the media would have been all over it demanding his resignation.

Old 06-23-2013, 10:32 AM

1,508 posts, read 2,981,799 times
I have begun to wonder if Pat Cotham will be replaced by one of the other 5 Democrats on the county commission in a putch next year for chairman.

Pat seems to be of a Susan Burgess / Harold Codgell frame of mind on spending and priorities and the other 5 (Ratliff, Leake, etc) don't like that.

Leake has personality conflicts with Dunlap and Clarke. So That leaves Ratliff and Fuller as most likely to succeed Cotham if these 5 get together to push Cotham off the chair.

Last edited by Sean_CLT; 06-23-2013 at 10:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte