Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2013, 10:35 PM
NDL NDL started this thread

4,518 posts, read 5,652,890 times

Advertisements

"CHARLOTTE—Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Chief Rodney Monroe went to Washington Tuesday to support tougher gun laws."

CMPD Chief Rodney Monroe travels to Washington in support of tougher gun legislation - News14.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2013, 01:06 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,975,478 times
Charlotte politicians and city staffers love going to DC and NY taxpayer paid for junkets. These officials love living the high life with other people's money.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:46 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,552,562 times
Chief Monroe - Thugs are out-of-jail walking our streets with illegal guns, causing havoc. yes, shooting people. You need to focus on your job and put criminals in jail so they don't shoot us! What a f..... Joke! Considering the source, it's to be expected that a fool, act a fool.

Old 04-10-2013, 05:55 AM

821 posts, read 1,855,353 times
The laws on the books are not uniformly enforced, i.e., our judges are not serious when it comes to locking up felons who get caught with a handgun or even worse they are caught carrying a stolen gun.

When police apprehend criminals with firearms, our court system needs to get serious about the laws on the books and THEN we decide what needs to be tweaked. Otherwise, all the talk about new laws is white noise and feel good policy discussions.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:09 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,506,170 times
Well, we see where our Chief of Police's concerns lie. Maybe he thinks if he cozies up to the White House he will get an appointment like Foxx is working on landing, lololol.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:37 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,598,169 times
Good, while I don't expect one person to ultimately make any sort of difference, the more people who can bring some common sense laws back on the plate to help try to keep gun violence in check, the better opportunity the legislators will see that a majority of Americans support this.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
Good, while I don't expect one person to ultimately make any sort of difference, the more people who can bring some common sense laws back on the plate to help try to keep gun violence in check, the better opportunity the legislators will see that a majority of Americans support this.
I am in no way being facetious, but this I can't understand:

If someone goes to threaten, rob, or kill someone, the perpetrator is not a law abiding citizen.

Therefore, I don't see how adding more laws will help, for criminals are, by their very nature, law breakers.

If we are to believe the current administration, they claim not to want guns out of the hands of "law abiding citizens."

Yet, the new measures are to "keep guns out of the hands of criminals."

Since guns will remain in the hands of "law abiding citizens," we have to look at the transfer of guns from "law abiding citizens," to "criminals."

When the names of concealed carry permit holders were released in Westchester County NY, a few of the permit holders were victims of breaking and entering. Their guns were stolen.

The people who had the concealed carry permits were "law abiding;" the people who broke into their homes, and stole their guns, were "criminals."

I don't see how new/tougher laws would help, in the above scenario...

Last edited by NDL; 04-10-2013 at 09:02 AM..

Old 04-10-2013, 08:55 AM

3,914 posts, read 4,975,478 times
NDL you very wisely point this out which I took great notice of a few weeks ago.

(paraphrasing)

Criminals break laws hence politicians create more laws in order to stop it. LOL

Old 04-10-2013, 11:22 AM

468 posts, read 827,142 times
Another political appointee just following what his mayor wants him to do.

Wonder what the rank and file police officers of CMPD think about it.

My guess is that the majority do not support his views but I could be wrong about that.

Old 04-10-2013, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frewroad View Post
NDL you very wisely point this out which I took great notice of a few weeks ago.

(paraphrasing)

Criminals break laws hence politicians create more laws in order to stop it. LOL
Exactly.

And while I hate to label political groups/ideologies, many well intentioned people can't logically answer the above point.

Very, very, few law abiding people are going to give/sell criminals their guns. Would you want to arm someone in your neighborhood, that you know to be of suspect character - that he/she could use the weapon that you sold him/her, on your or your family?

Answer: No.

So how else does the transfer of firearms go from the law abiding to the criminal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte